Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Snow Plow for 3 wheeler

I have a 1984 Honda ATC 200es Big Red 3 wheeler. This was the machine I was going to make a front ski for, but got to talking to ski experts, sledders and they all say the front tire will do just as well as the ski due to the size. And it works fine. Now I am building a plow for this winter. I really dont know what to expect from Big Red, but we'll see what it can do.

What I need help with is bending the big plow. I have a piece of something a little under 1/8" think, bout 4 feet wide, and a foot or so high. I need to bend it into a plow. How?? Also what should support it and anything else I should know.

Never built a plow before

Thanks
    Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
    235 Amp Commet Arc Welder
    50 Amp Lincoln 110v Arc Welder

just my two sense but the reason they quit making those units(3wheelers) is because there so light on the front end and flip over and kill people, whats gonna happen when u put a plow on it. hit the bank and over it goes????? also how u gonna steer it if there aint enough weight on the one wheel. i dont know but i never seen a 3 wheel'd plow yet this is will be the first post lots of pics

personally i think it would work ok. it would beat a shovel anyway )

i would make your push arms hook back under the rear axle, so the push will tend to keep the front wheel on the ground, and so that you don't bend something you don't want to.as for bending the blade, the best would be to find someone with a sheet metal brake that can bend it, or someone with a set of rolls.

my old man's got a '84 big red, and i've got a 81 110, and a 85 big red, all great machines, and no more dangerous then the 4 wheelers, if you've got enought common sence to walk and chew gum.....
    Last edited by theonlybull; 12-27-2004 at 06:45 AM.
    crazy redneck bluenoser

The following link will take you to a site that sells ATV snowplows for 4 wheelers. They have a number of pictures of one that might give you some ideas as to how to build yours.
    However, I don't want to pee on your parade, but I don't think that putting one on a 3 wheeler is viable or safe. I would think about selling the 3 wheeler and getting a 4 wheeler if that is feasible.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

http://www.blackline.us/products.htm

Could you cut out the parts that look like this ( and then hammer the plate until it fits the curve? I will attach a photo of the part I am talking about.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks guys. It has been done. I found one pic of a plow someone made for a 250 Big Red.

I'm having trouble mounting it to the 3 wheeler and lifting it up.

Also, I ride 3 and 4 wheelers all the time. I dont see much difference in safety between the 2. 3 wheeler a bit tippier but just use your weight to counteract it and your fine. Not as dangerous as many people make them out to be.
    Last edited by ross932c; 12-27-2004 at 09:55 AM.

I cant get the blade to bend to the curve I want, I think it is to thick. But being the impatiet type, I just curved in the corners did my best with a hammer to pound it round and build a frame out of some scrap I got. I went out to hit the snow. It dug in more then I thought and stuck and the tires spun. I gave a bit more run at it and bend some of the scrap I made it with. NOW, I'm going to go into town and get a new load of steel. Something that isnt scrap.

As to it being easier then shuvel, if it worked it would be. But for now I think I'll stick with the big Ford New Holland in the behind the barn with the bucket, seems to work better.

If anyone has anymore ideas I would glady try them. I think I might attch it to the back somehow, see it that helps.

Roger Guest
    Pay someone to form blade to shape or buy blade.

You could make english wheel or 3 roll bender and form your own blade.
    But that is another project.

Quote Originally Posted by ross932c
    Thanks guys. It has been done. I found one pic of a plow someone made for a 250 Big Red.

I'm having trouble mounting it to the 3 wheeler and lifting it up.

Also, I ride 3 and 4 wheelers all the time. I dont see much difference in safety between the 2. 3 wheeler a bit tippier but just use your weight to counteract it and your fine. Not as dangerous as many people make them out to be.
    around here u cant even get insurance on them, there fore u cant ride them unless ur on private property... i agree 4 wheelers can be dangerous too if abused or but they quit making the 3 wheelers for a good reason, way too many injuries/deaths

3 wheelers are banned from any street or road here too. Only allowed on owned private property. I still drive on the roads, There are 3 more farms down the road with big red's, they ride on the road to. Never seen a cop down my road so I'm not to worried.

I Rigged up a 2 point hitch for the back of the 3 wheeler using some angle and flat steel. I figured I could use it going backwards, it dug in to and the wheels spun. Nothing broke though. I picked up some real metal. Some 2" angle and 2" x 1/4" flat. I still used the same blade so I think it has to be just right so it doesn't dig in. I might make some skid plates on the blade to keep it an inch off the ground or something, just so it clears the snow and not dig in. But for now it works ok as a pull behind scraper. I have to find an easier way to lift it up. I have to get off and lift it and hook a rope on it.

Any suggestions? This is just a toy so feel free to trough some different ideas out there.

Ross932

Try this
    MM-210
    Spectrum 375

HH 175
    Hobart Betamig 200

TA 185

Quote Originally Posted by notme
    they quit making the 3 wheelers for a good reason, way too many injuries/deaths
    And what exactly IS this good reason you are talking about? I had a three wheeler since the fifth grade. Most of the times I saw people getting hurt on three wheelers ( or four wheelers for that matter) was when parents put kids to small or too inexperienced on a machine that was simply too big or powerful for them to handle ( a lot of the video shots used to say three wheelers were the devil had 10 year olds on 250R Hondas, a machine capable of 90mph+ from the factory). The other times were when people were showing off and/or drinking and riding. I'm missing where bad choices and/or poor judgment are an inherent design flaw.

Sorry to hijack the plow thread, but the three wheelers were no more dangerous when ridden responsibly than a motorcycle (which one would think is even more unstable than a three wheeler, but they haven't been banned), a four wheeler, or even a jeep on the trails. The key is to operate it responsibly, in a manner reflecting your ability to handle the machine and the terrain.

Sorry again, back to building a plow...
    Chad-
    Last edited by chumly2071; 12-28-2004 at 10:43 AM.
    I'm an engineer. Why leave it alone when I can REALLY screw it up?

DONE DONE DONE DONE

I added spacers to the bottem of the plow to keep the blade half an inch off the ground at all times. This did the trick. It works perfect now.

Time for some pictures

This is the blade in the down position. I drive backwards to plow, and I also drag it to clean up a bit.

And the other pic is teh plow when just pulled up off the ground. I used a piece of wood with 2 holes and just slid it up and down the rope to adjust the height. I didnt use metal because it doenst have any give and might cut the rope in time.

Here is the blade when I just need to go from point A to point B without taking it off. It just flips all the way up and I just use a piece of rope to keep it there.