PDA

View Full Version : Teaching kids to weld

dorn312
12-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Not really a project. But I was wondering how many of you with kids have let them try welding? How old were they? My 4 year old daughter loves to come out to the shop and work. So I let here run a few beads. I figured the first arc and she was out of there. Was I wrong. She said dad that was cool lets do more! Anybody seen any childrens welding gear? She really looks funny in my leathers,gloves and hood :D

MigManiac
12-04-2004, 01:48 PM
Nothing wrong with getting them started early.As long as they have the proper gear on.
My youngest boy is 8 and i let him use the mig once i awhile,

PS. thats a really cute picture. :)

Metalmender
12-04-2004, 01:54 PM
I have my boy welding since he was 8. Now almost 10 and some times runs a better bead than dad! he has also been involved in light fabrication. He wil come up with an idea and we will make it and see if it will work or not. I usually know the answer but he learns more to try it than for dad just to say, "that won't work". I wish I had more time to those types of jobs. I also will get a broken motor or piece of equipment and let him try to disassemble it as far as he can on his own without help.

arcdawg
12-04-2004, 02:25 PM
dorn, thats really cool ! i would recomend a skullcap or something to cover those blonde locks do to the spatter you get with mig welding..... you dont want a good thing to go bad and have a little bb land on her head and burn her.........

all and all very cool.........just instill SAFTEY with the kids in the shop.........especially SAFTEY GLASSES EVEN WITH WELDING HELMET ON !

d-

legend
12-04-2004, 07:33 PM
dorn, thats really cool ! i would recomend a skullcap or something to cover those blonde locks do to the spatter you get with mig welding..... you dont want a good thing to go bad and have a little bb land on her head and burn her.........

all and all very cool.........just instill SAFTEY with the kids in the shop.........especially SAFTEY GLASSES EVEN WITH WELDING HELMET ON !

d-

heh heh heh heh heh :D i wouldn't let any young children or teenagers use or try my equipment.I couldn't imagine how much damage they would do! :eek:

I have taught young kids welding in a school district but the government pays for the equipment so who cares if it blows up or burns up!? :D

Stimp
12-04-2004, 07:42 PM
I would be stoked if my girls wanted to hang out and weld with the old man. But like most teenage girls they are more concerned with boys and there nails.

@ Legend i think teaching children how to respect tools now while they are young is a life long lesson that they will keep with them throughout life. I learned this from my Grandfather and Father by hanging out with them in the shop etc when I was young. These are some of my best childhood memories and have taught me to respect tools and equipment in a way that is lacking in alot of todays youth. If you supervise them I am sure they won't mess up your tools :p

dorn312
12-04-2004, 10:19 PM
She was not really set up in that pic to weld. She was just pretending. She is really good when it comes to listening. We talked about what to do and not to do. She watchs those goof ***** on american chopper and says daddy they should have gloves and a welding helmet on. :D She wants a pink welding hood :eek: . Whats really funny is on her christmas list she has a mini chopper :cool: Maybe we will build one this winter.

ohmthis
12-05-2004, 12:31 AM
Dorn,
Awsome picture, remindes me of some of my childhood memories. My stepdad and his dad would be in the shop welding. I would get a hood and watch them over their shoulders. I wanted to weld so bad that I made a fake hood from the bottom of a Round bleach jug and pretended to use a pencil as a rod. When i was older my stepdad bought me a cheap wire feed welder for christmas. He taught me how to weld and other things in the garage. He passed away this past spring with cancer. Now I use almost everything I learned in my present job (industrial maintenance) from him. So little memories of working in the shop, garage, or even in the kitchen will be with us forever. God bless you to take the time to PLAY.

Stimp,
Sounds like we had the same type of role models. You pay out the ying yang for your tools why not make them last. I was taught every tool has a job, don't use the wrong one for the job (just gets ya hurt or breaks your tools). When the day is done eveything gets cleaned and put in it's place.

KennyG
12-05-2004, 09:23 AM
Hey Metalmender,

I like how you are raising your children, especially the part about fabricating something eventhough you know it will not work. What they learn and the way they think about things/solutions will be far-reaching & everlasting. I commend you for your teaching style.

Ken
:)

gearjammer
12-05-2004, 01:06 PM
I think it is darn cool of you to do that with your girl. My boys like to watch so I have gotten them a hood to see whats going on and if your youngster can do it time to teach my boys and get a pre fab shop going. I can see it now all my employees under the age of 13 labor law violations heheh :D

P.W. at home
12-05-2004, 09:21 PM
To tell some of us ( dont do it that way it wont work) does'nt help us, letting us fail is some times a much better teacher, when I say let us fail, I mean on an un important part.
I like to use a saying that I've heard over the years,
( Better to try and fail than to never have tried ) .....

Snidley
12-06-2004, 09:13 AM
If they show a real interest, and are old enough to understand what you are telling them and will remember all the safety rules and safety wear - why not. It is alway best to encourage the idea that they can do anything if they want to. Jobs and careers have to be based on desire and ability, not gender.

toolaholic
12-06-2004, 10:23 PM
these are great memories. don't laugh at children welding!

CHINA HAS MILLIONS WELDING 65HRS a week!!!!!!!!!!!