PDA

View Full Version : Convert your 4.5" angle grinder into a chop saw

RussellH
09-04-2004, 04:54 PM
I can't find the thread in which someone asked me to report back on the angle grinder stand once I got it so I'm starting a new one.

I have only used it once so far but I think it works fairly well for what it is...a poor man's chop-saw :p

My only gripe is about the vice mechanism, it could definitely use some improving but for less than $15 I shouldn't even complain because it does work...of course you are limited in the cutting capacity due to the diameter of the wheel but for the occasional small jobs it should be OK.

As its first test run I used it to cut-off the end of my gun nozzle by 1/8" and then used the whole jig as a "disc sander" to smooth and level the end of the tip. It all took less than 3 mins start to finish - check out the pics!

Call me crazy but I think I'll buy another $10 HF angle grinder just for the stand :o

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G8183

Cleaver
09-04-2004, 06:06 PM
Koool...

hmm...I might get one, cuz I dont even have a chop saw myself...if you dont mind telling me what do you think the max diameter size pipe you can cut with it?

Thank you,
cleaver

weird bike
09-04-2004, 08:23 PM
THATS COOL I gotta get one. Does it work on all brands of 41/2 inch grinders? tyler :)

KennyG
09-04-2004, 09:03 PM
Hey RussellH,

Thanks for the review on the angle grinder stand. It was me that had initially asked you for it. I think you were correct in its accessment. It will work for the occasional small job. That is just what I am looking for. I think I will order one. Thanks again for you input. It was appreciated.

Ken

:D

RussellH
09-04-2004, 09:59 PM
Cleaver, the problem with using an angle grinder for cutting, with or without the stand, is that the head of the grinder will hit your work piece if you try to cut anything deeper than the distance between the edge of the cutting disk and the head of the grinder (pls see the sketch for an illustration). The stand doesn't take away this depth and I was able to cut 1"sq tubing with my semi-new cutting disk (the disk gets smaller as you use it which will also affect the cutting depth).

Tyler and Kenny, if you can afford a real chop saw that's the way to go, however this stand would be great for someone who's already using an angle grinder for cutting tubes but need cleaner, straighter cuts. I personally like it for the fact that I could use it as a disk grinder which smoothes out the cuts really fast and with good accuracy. I've cut tubing with my angle grinder before (without the stand) and I always got irregular cuts and then when I tried to grind them straight it took a long time because its hard to balance a grinder properly when its spining so fast. With the stand the cuts are almost perfectly straight the first time around and grinding the edges only takes a few secs :)

I have a HF angle grinder I bought for $10 almost a yr ago and the stand fits it fine. I can't say for the other brands but I'm almost certain it would work as along as the grinder accepts side handles on both sides of it. The stand uses the tapped handle holes to hold the grinder.

Just be careful though, always assume that the tool might break and take the necessary precautions based upon that - specially when working with cutting tools :o

david_r
09-04-2004, 10:11 PM
Russell,
Just a tip on using a hand grinder to clean up the end of a cut. I use the back side of the wheel and rest the stock on the squared part of the housing. Sure seems to give more control.

RussellH
09-04-2004, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the tip Dave. I will have to try that but I may need new griding disks...the ones I have now are one sided only (as far as I know) unless they are all supposed to be dual sided ? :confused:

PoisonPancakes
09-05-2004, 12:12 AM
I saw those at Harbor Freight, but i figured $50 for a chop saw was a better deal. Glad to see it work for you.

drizler
09-05-2004, 01:12 AM
No doubt it works as I used an angle grinder and cut off blades for a long time before getting a chop saw. The problem is that the blades cost over a buck and don't last long at all. I never got more than a few cuts before the wheel got too small. Wait till you get your mits on a chop saw, that $6 blade will last for many weeks and its really handy. If you want something that will do a decent half assed job in place of a chop then try putting a 7 1/4" cut off wheel on a table saw. That does a far better job than I ever thought and it gives you a nice big blade to work off. I used the same rig to cut ceramic tile when I built my house. No more tile cutter for me, the saw scores it for cuts a tile cutter would never make.

RussellH
09-05-2004, 01:22 AM
Good points guys. I was thinking of trying out the 7-1/4" metal cutting blade in my Skil saw...it should work well for cutting big pieces of metal plate that wouldn't fit in a chop saw or a band saw.

For the record I do have a band saw which I use for most of the cutting but for the price I had to try this little angle grinder stand and from the little work I've done with it I think it has its place on my workbench :)

GunLocators
09-05-2004, 02:19 AM
No doubt it works as I used an angle grinder and cut off blades for a long time before getting a chop saw. The problem is that the blades cost over a buck and don't last long at all. I never got more than a few cuts before the wheel got too small. Wait till you get your mits on a chop saw, that $6 blade will last for many weeks and its really handy. If you want something that will do a decent half assed job in place of a chop then try putting a 7 1/4" cut off wheel on a table saw. That does a far better job than I ever thought and it gives you a nice big blade to work off. I used the same rig to cut ceramic tile when I built my house. No more tile cutter for me, the saw scores it for cuts a tile cutter would never make.

What do you mean a $6 chop saw blade will last for weeks. I go through 3-4 a week. LOL :D

Actually I do, but I do a LOT of metal cutting. drizler is 100% dead on, the chop saw abrasive disk will last a long time for most people before neededing to change them out.

ross932c
09-05-2004, 11:44 AM
That is the coolest thing ever, Can't you take the gaurd off and use a bigger wheel?

2002vlx
09-12-2004, 12:09 AM
I went shopping with the OL today in Tulsa and *somehow* we ended up at Harbor Freight to see what kind of cheap crap I could pick up and they had those angle grinder chop saw jobs for $6.99. At that price I had to pick one up. All I have is an angle grinder with 4.5" cut off wheels to cut anything for now. And it's tough to get anything fairly square or even when you're holding the piece with one hand and trying to cut it with the grinder in the other. I figured for $7 it was worth a shot. I also picked up a couple of those angled welding magnets on sale for $1.99 each and some casters to make my welding table mobile. I haven't assembled the chop saw thing yet to see how it's going to work though.

luckeycubcadet
09-15-2004, 09:09 AM
I have both a 14" chop saw and the handy little angle grinder mini chop (as I like to call it). There is nothing better than the chop saw, but for little (and I mean little) the mini chop is fantastic. I feel like I have a lot more control over the cut. I would love to get a metal cutting band saw, but a decent mig welder is next on the list. I am tired of driving 40 miles to my family farm to mig weld and plasma cut.

Jon

Blacksmith
09-15-2004, 09:58 AM
I got the Harbor Freight one for $6.99 and got my money's worth. It lets me cut long pieces of 3/8 and 1/2 inch squarely. Yes the blades wear down quickly, but they are still usuable in the hand held mode after the angle grinder housing bottoms out on the vice jaw.

Robert
09-15-2004, 10:21 AM
This looks like it will work GREAT while building a Wrought Iron fence... Am only going to use 1"x1" square tube & 1/2"x1/2" square tube....... Looks like another visit to HF for me... Like I need an excuse to go there.... :D

James D. Clark
09-15-2004, 03:30 PM
Search this site for "My chop saw" for the offset grinder chop saw I built earlier this year. I welded the swing arm/tool holder up and bolt it to the work table. I used a temporary plywood table to cut the steel on to make my welding table. Cut 2x2x1/4 angle stock using the grinder with a cutoff wheel. Large pieces need several cuts to complete one cutoff but it worked. Smaller angles and bars are easier.