PDA

View Full Version : what size wire and breaker for a Lincoln 225 Amp AC welder

CrazyFazy
08-01-2004, 09:06 PM
Sorry another electrical question but I have to get it hooked up before I get to use it. I bought this welder a long time ago for cheap. My father had one just like it and always had a hard time making good welds with it. Someone told me to just make sure I get the correct rods for it and it would be fine. Any suggestions?

cope
08-01-2004, 09:19 PM
50 amp breaker and 8/2 or 6/2 wire. 6/2 is correct but for a welder the 8/2 will do fine. 6013 and 7014 electrodes are what I learned on and 6011 is also a good rod.

CrazyFazy
08-01-2004, 09:30 PM
Thanks cope. This will be the first time I welded with a AC welder. I have heard they can be quite temperamental. LOL.

Sberry
08-01-2004, 10:54 PM
How far is it from the panel and what type of wiring method are you going to be using,,, pipe, cable, cable in wall or on surface. Short run with exposed cable a minimum of number 10 wire on a 50A breaker. If you have the panel readily accessable like in the garage and are going to mount recept on it the 10 will be fine. If you are stringing cable (Romex) thru your house, attic etc,, use number 8. This is a welder circuit, not for an oven or kiln.

BKD
08-02-2004, 12:07 PM
Don't you have to use 6 or 8-3 wire?

Chipmaker
08-02-2004, 05:22 PM
Not really on the Lincoln 225. It is hard pressed to pull the amps stated in the literature by any means. I have had mine hooked up to #10 for many years and never had a problem......wire was just romex and it never even got warm. Now its hooked to some #6 that I come to scrounge for free..

Welding with an AC machine is no harder than welding with any other type machine.like anything else it takes proper rods in composition and size and practice, practice practice. I would not be afraid to bet the Lincoln 225 is probably one if not the worlds most popular selling welder.

I paid $97.00 for my Lincoln 225 AC/DC model about 19 years ago. I ordered a standard Lincoln AC225 from Harbor Freight with free shipping and after about an 11 week wait it was drop shipped by the manufacturer (Tennesee area IIRC) to my house, and upon opening up the carton found out it was the AC/DC machine........well worth the waiting period for such a machine at such a low price. Its never missed a beat.

CrazyFazy
08-02-2004, 06:54 PM
The panel will only be about 20 to 25 feet from the welder. I will probably just staple it to the studs if I can. Im confused here though. I believe #2 was recommended to my dads subpanel however my lincoln says 225 amps and #10 is recommended. Shouldnt the wire be even bigger because the subpanel was only 100 amp? Sorry if I am not quite understanding this. Also will the welder have a neutral or a ground? Thanks.

jake3240
08-02-2004, 07:12 PM
I think you're confusing output amps with input amps. The 225 amps is the output amperage (which does use 2 ga.) and input amperage(before it goes through the transformerand is stepped up), is less than 50 amps.

I hope that made sense. :D

A 240 V welder circuit needs two hots and a ground.

CrazyFazy
08-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Actually I do understand now. So a 6-2 or a 8-2 wire would be preferred then is that right? Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully I will be welding soon. Then the questions will really start. LOL.

Sberry
08-02-2004, 10:54 PM
Input requirements are rated as per the duty cycle of the welder. You could run that machine wide open up to its duty cycle on a number 10 wire. Running a 1/8 7018 AC electrode will suck about 43 A on average. I think if I was consevative,, the run is short so cost wont be an issue and you dont mind spending I would put a number 8 wire in especially if I was stapling it to the house framing.

CrazyFazy
08-04-2004, 07:05 PM
Hey thanks guys. I hope to have the welder hooked up this weekend so I can start practicing with it. Does there happen to be any rules of thumb as far as to what amperage is needed to what the thickness of the steel is or is this just a trial and error thing? Thanks.

asad
08-05-2004, 01:51 AM
The standard rule of thumb is 1 amp per 0.001" of material thickness.

Your welder's manual should have some suggested settings too.

Asad

Sberry
08-05-2004, 10:41 AM
There should be a chart on the machine. I dont adjust more than 5A maybe 10 max either way for matl thickness, the chart will give you some idea of amps to run with electrode type and diameter. It helps to have a couple rod sizes for different thinkness. That may be why the original owner was having probs, turned way down. The electode needs enough current to operate properly. I see guys turning down for out of position work too,, wondering why they are having a hard time.