PDA

View Full Version : 16ft trailor blueprints?

Kevin W
01-13-2003, 10:08 AM
Does anybody know where I can get a FREE set of blue prints for a 16ft flatbed trailor?

Thanks,

Kevin

Will
01-13-2003, 10:15 AM
Kevin,
Try this site. It has plans for both single and dual axle trailers and they sell kits and parts as well.

Campion Trailer parts (http://www.championtrailers.com/UTILITY_TRAILER_KITS.HTM)

Good luck, and post some progress pictures!

cope
01-13-2003, 10:33 AM
Will is correct. Even if you want something different in design, the 2 style plans they offer give you a good starting point. Best part is their formula for determining axle location. A friend of mine says that Champion is well thought of in the Texas Gulf Coast area. Their kit prices are reasonable. They will respond quickly to email inquiries.

Kevin W
01-13-2003, 10:39 AM
Great trailor site..... Thanks for the info and quick responce.

bitternut
01-13-2003, 09:58 PM
I've looked at those plans listed in the Champion catalog but one important detail was left out. They did not specify what the thickness of the angle iron was. Does anyone have any idea of what the proper material thickness should be? It would be cheaper to build out of lighter material and the trailer itself would weigh less making more load possible. Your axle has to carry the weight of the trailer plus the weight of the payload but you don't want a flimsy trailer either. Anyone know if there are any standards for basic trailer sizes?

John C
01-13-2003, 10:10 PM
There are alot of trailers that use 1/8" for the top rail & the upright supports, But some of the better built factory jobs are made of 3/16". The mainframe on a standard 16ft. trailer is usually 2x3x3/16. Axles will more than likely be 3500lb ea.

cope
01-13-2003, 10:59 PM
They spec 2X3 angle with the 3" leg verticle. This makes for less flex. I emailed them and for a 5X8 trailer they said 3/16" would be fine. For a 16' trailer I would go with 1/4".

John C
01-14-2003, 04:59 AM
Kevin,
I didn't pay any attention as to where you are from, but the next time you get on 380 & head towards Denton you might stop by Denton Welding & take a look at the trailers we sell. You will see the difference in the thickness of materials as compared to some of the other cheaper brands.
You may want to also want to consider the cost of ALL the materials & expenses that go along with building a trailer yourself.
You may find out that it is cheaper to buy onr than build one.
Good Luck with whatever way you go. John C. in Denton,TX.

cope
01-14-2003, 07:44 AM
John C., no question that you can probably buy as cheap as or cheaper than building. That would take the fun out of it though. Where in Denton are you? I am going up to Lewisville a week from Saturday.

Will
01-14-2003, 08:13 AM
If you are concerned about flex or twist in the frame, You may want to upgrade the long frame pieces (part E in the 2-axle plan) to channel or even rectangular tubing. A similar upgrade to the cross members at the spring attachment points (part D) should take a lot of flex and twist out of the trailer frame.

John C has a good point...look around at ready made trailers too. Even if you can't find a bargain, you may get some good ideas. When you look at your cost to build, include EVERYTHING--- paint, primer, wire, safety chain, bolts, welding rod, getting it titled, etc. You may be surprised at how it adds up. Also, most of the ready made trailers are made up using jigs to make sure everything is square, straight, and level. Nothing worse than having a trailer that doesn't track true, fishtails, or sags in one corner after you put in all that work. I'm not doubting your skills, just trying to save you some grief. I have built a couple of trailers, and it is tough to keep it all square and warp free. And I was surprised at how quickly the price adds up beyond the cost of the steel and axles.

ChadRat
01-14-2003, 10:34 AM
I just finished building a 5 x 10 trailer. I think I saved some money. I don't usually add up the cost on my projects. I do know that my trailer is build better than a ready made one. I used thicker metal and treated wood. I did get free tires and wheels from my neighbor. He runs a tire shop and was glad to get rid of them. I bought the axle, fenders, hitch and axle brackets from a trailer place. I built everything else myself. I still need to buy a trailer jack. I am using a jack stand right now. I would have to say it is a fun project. I need to take some pictures of it and some other projects I have going on.