PDA

View Full Version : Hobart Handler 125 Mig Conversion?

InaneCathode
03-20-2013, 06:22 PM
I bought a hobart handler 125 (not ez) a couple years ago and i've been using it ever since. It totally kicks ***, and recently i've decided to convert it to mig so i can do some sheet metal repairs, and make much less mess with the flux core. I've popped the plug off the back where the gas is supposed to go, and theres nothing in there to screw on to. I'm assuming its because the unit doesnt have the solenoid or wiring for it yet. Ok, so i need the mig conversion kit for the HH125.

Problem is, the part number 195158 for the mig conversion kit is sold out, out of stock, unavailable anywhere. I'd really like to convert this beast over, but i dont think i can without the hobart conversion kit. Any ideas on what to do here?

I've seen lincoln conversion kits for their hobby welders, and i was wondering if a kit like that would jive with my HH125, or if theyh're somehow not compatible. Not up on how welders work exactly, but if its got a solenoid valve, trigger wiring, gas connection, and regulator, shouldnt it work regardless of manufacturer?

Thanks.

cope
03-21-2013, 06:41 AM
Your best bet is to contact Hobart Tech Support.

M J Mauer
03-21-2013, 07:35 AM
I second the first reply.
Your best bet is to contact Hobart Tech Support.

usmcpop
03-21-2013, 08:15 AM
Yep, Tech Support.

If you look at a picture of the kit, all you really need is the gas solenoid, a bit of plumbing and a couple jumper wires. A regulator and hose is easy to source.

Dale M.
03-21-2013, 11:28 AM
It looks as if you can get valve (by part number) the rest of the kit pieces is off the shelf stuff....

Dale

cope
03-21-2013, 12:38 PM
Yep, Tech Support.

If you look at a picture of the kit, all you really need is the gas solenoid, a bit of plumbing and a couple jumper wires. A regulator and hose is easy to source.

I will give him a new flow gauge for the shipping, somewhere around $11.30.

InaneCathode
03-22-2013, 12:39 PM
I will give him a new flow gauge for the shipping, somewhere around $11.30.

Oh, cool. Thanks man :)
I'm assuming the flow gauge tells you your cfm of your shielding gas? I'm thinking as far as fuction goes, theres a tank, a regulator, a gas solenoid valve triggered by the gun trigger, some kind of air tight liner (not sure how this would go into the gun ambilical) and a different schnozzle that can waft shielding gas out. Excuse my ignorance on the whole thing but, I think its time to upgrade and i'm learning as much as i can. I mean, i've only recently learned how to measure, cut, and weld things that are actually square rather than trapezoid shaped, lol.

I'll go ahead and call tech support and see what they think. I'll update the thread with what i've learned. Thanks alot for the help guys, you can guess how reassuring it is to be surrounded by people who know what the heck is going on rather than the big box / hardware store help i'm used to with this kind of stuff :)

InaneCathode
03-22-2013, 01:08 PM
Just got off the phone from tech support. Very helpful folks there. The guy that helped me said my HH125 is alot older than i thought, they quit building that one in 2005 or 2006. The newer HH125 has all the mig stuff built in, all you need is a bottle, hose, and regulator. Dang, thought i had researched enough, oh well haha.

Anyhow, he forwarded me the old instructions for converting the old HH125, and told me the first four parts on the list are required. They are:

GS1 216397 VALVE, 115vac 2way Custom Port 1/8 Orf W/Frict 1
137761 NUT, 750 NPT 1.31hex .27H nyl blk 1
209907 TUBING, PVC .187 ID X .312 OD X 6.000 1
209905 ADAPTER, gas hose 1

So the first one is the solenoid, the second is the nut that attaches the solenoid to the rear panel, the third is i believe the hose from the solenoid to the "adapter" and the adapter, according to the instructions is what joins the solenoid valve to the 'gas hose from gun block'. The rest of the parts on the list are zip ties, a gas hose, regulator/flowmeter, mig wire, and a tip.

I assume i can get the tip anywhere, really. The mig wire the same, the flowmeter i think has been sourced, hehe, the regulator i suppose screws into the same valve block thing the flow meter screws into, and the hose i assume is basically universal.

Couple of questions. First off, the 'gas hose from gun block'. Is the gun and, i want to call it the ambilical, from the welder already setup for gas? The instructions don't cover anything about the liner or the gun itself, just pictures a hose coming up into the welder from the front crossing over to the electronic board side.

Second question, as far as gas and bottles are concerned. What size bottle would yall recommend for a guy who occasionally does some welding projects, but when he does he does quite a bit of welding in one sitting (might go a couple months without even looking at the welder, then I get a wild hair and build something large, complicated, and requiring lots of welds)? I remember seeing what gas mix i should be using when welding on mild steel with MIG but honestly i can't remember what it was. 75%CO2 25%Ar?

My third question i think would be kinda goofy but just curious anyway. The way i have heard, the only way to weld stainless steel or aluminum is with a TIG welder. Is there anyway to weld either with a MIG welder? I heard something about how you cant wire feed aluminum because it's too soft, or something about heat, or something.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

urch55
03-22-2013, 01:36 PM
You may just want to invest in a welder that comes with all you need ready to run shielding gas.
Most guns will allow you to use gas. You may have to change the nozzle alot of times you don't have to..

A 80 cf bottle would be a good size (I have 125cf) and the gas is 75% argon/25% co2 or what some call C25.

You need a spool-gun to weld aluminum because the wire is too soft to push though a 10 ft gun liner.
You can weld stainless as set up for solid wire just use Tri-mix or 98% argon/2% co2 gas for stainless. (I use Tri-mix with mine)

If you think you will be adding a spool-gun for aluminum then you should by a welder that is adaptable to one. I don't think your HH125 is.. Then just keep your 125 for flux-core welding...

TxFireman1972
02-27-2014, 05:06 PM
I know this is an old thread but...Did you ever get it converted? I'm in exactly the same situation with the exact welder and looking for help doing the conversion. Of course the 195158 is not available anywhere. Any help would be great.