PDA

View Full Version : Metal Tank modified into a Bell

AustinShredman
04-03-2004, 09:58 PM
Anyone have any info on cutting the bottom of an oxy-acetylene tank out to make a bell or gong? I saw one on a Texas ranch several years ago, and the bell could be heard for miles. The valves were removed and an eyelet was threaded into the valve opening, and hung.

Timinmb
04-04-2004, 10:36 AM
I'm sure you could do a nice job of cleaning it up on a lathe.

glockdoc
04-04-2004, 12:21 PM
Check out the one at Detection, Inc up on the 6700 block of Burnet Ln. He was trying to sell it for his brother-in-law who I believe is making them. You should be able to get some ideas. He is using aluminum inert gas cyl.

Ryel
04-04-2004, 12:40 PM
Like these?
http://www.japanesegarden.com/inthegardens/correllbells.shtml (Japanes Gardens)

The local Airgas sells the tanks cut in half so just go out, chose those you like and have some fun!

Mowjunk
04-04-2004, 01:10 PM
Rye, the link you posted didn't work for me. I don't know if it's me or the link. I did find it, though....

Why do you think they cost that much? Is it the little squiggly stainless things on them? The powder coating? I need to find somebody that can write in Japanese!

http://www.japanesegarden.com/inthegardens/correllbells.shtml

mow

Ryel
04-05-2004, 09:32 AM
they cost so much because it's ART! where is your imagination?
it's not the object it's the buyer...:D

jniolon
04-05-2004, 04:21 PM
I made one from a CO2 cylinder from a soda dispenser setup... had a friend save me an empty... mines approx 8" in diameter and 24" long... removed the valve/regulator and ran a chain down the neck... a 6" circle of 2x lumber is the clapper and a flat 1x4 connected to the chain below the bell does the ringing when the wind blows... it IS LOUD... I had a metal clapper first and had to tone it down... it was spooking my neighbors cows :D

BTW used a portaband saw to cut off the bottom... I thought about a O2 tank or the like but cutting on one of those got me a little puckered up... guess you could purge it with argon or something... but my access to argon at home is nonexistant.

john

MM251
04-13-2004, 04:18 PM
I made a bell with a large Oxygen cylinder. I cut the top off witha bandsaw, flipped it bottom up and welded a chain link to the bottom. It must be 4' long. Very deep, low tone. My wife would like to beat on it to get my attention 100 yds away, but its so deep that I can't hear it. A rubber mallet is a good beater. Standing beside it she rings for a whole minute before going silent. I get mine at the scrapyard for a few bucks a piece.:)

Chris

mrimpact
04-13-2004, 07:57 PM
that gave me a good idea but the scrapyard i been doing business with my whole life doesn't let me buy cylinders/tanks from them,but i just only tried to buy a propane tank from them but i guess they might let me go with an oxygen.but is it really loud,and what's the deal with it? What do you hit it with? I am sure nothing can be lose inside because that could baffle the sound a little.

Trevor
04-14-2004, 06:55 AM
i was just at my local scrapyard he had a dozen cylinders just sitting there seems they always got cylinders sitting around there actuly he gave me a small one maybe i should cut it open could i plasma cut it wow this really has me thinking

Brad54
04-14-2004, 11:24 PM
Hey, if there are any musicians here, about how far down on a piano keyboard is the tone? I know it will depend on the size of the bottle, etc., but just give me a ballpark.
I havn't sat down at a piano since I was a kid, but I still know where Middle C is, and would be able to judge, sorta, if you told me it was all the way down at the end, half way between the end and middle C, at middle C, etc.
I've got a deck off the second floor of my house, and the basement under it is 12-feet tall, so I could hang something off big like that off the deck and it'd work. I've got neighbors, but there are a lot of woods around, and it'd be in the back of the house.
For a clapper, how about a simple hammer hung in it? Would you be able to tune the sound (or at least turn the volume up or down) depending on the size hammer you hang in it? Turn it upside down, suspend it inside, and then hang something from below the hammer to catch the wind.
-Brad

Pelican
04-15-2004, 12:33 AM
OK gents, I started making these bells a few weeks ago, and what I've found works really well as a clapper is a bunch of scrap steel welded together, about the size of a child's fist and wrapped in one or two layers of leather. I'll weld a ring onto a 4" long post, so it looks like a lollipop. Then stick the post through the hole in the top of the "bell" from the inside out, and weld another ring to the other side. Now you have something to hang the bell from, and something to hang the clapper from. Weld the top ring into the top of the bottle, attach the clapper to the bottom ring with a piece of line, and slam away.
Nik

Trevor
04-15-2004, 06:18 AM
pelican your post has me really lost could you post some pics if you dont have a camera the disposals are nice just have the photo lab put the pics on a disk I am pumped about making some of these the thing i was wondering was how to get the stamping out of the cylinder where they stamp in numbers and company names and such could you grind em down and maybe smooth em out with bondo or would this effect the sound and could i cut these with my thermal dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma

wolfgangwelding
04-18-2004, 10:39 AM
Why dont you run some stringer beeds over the stamps then grind them smooth. It should make it look like they where never there.

Trevor
04-19-2004, 12:28 AM
thats true on the welding beads over the #'S i've tryed to get the valve out of the little c02 tank that i got is there a secret to this CAUSE i cant get it out mostly cause i cant find anything to hold the tank i put a monkey wrench on the valve i realy want to make one of these i might go to the gas place in the morning

Terry Lingle
04-19-2004, 12:57 AM
what I do is wrap a 2 inch wide rachet strap twice around the bottle and a solid object and rachet it real tight . Then I tighten the valve until it turns. Then reverse direction and take it out . Tapered threads seem to take as set so it is usualy easer to break them lose by turning them in the same direction as they were last turned. Terry

Sandy
04-19-2004, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Trevor
thats true on the welding beads over the #'S i've tryed to get the valve out of the little c02 tank that i got is there a secret to this CAUSE i cant get it out mostly cause i cant find anything to hold the tank i put a monkey wrench on the valve i realy want to make one of these i might go to the gas place in the morning

Most valves are put in with a thread lock compound that can only be broken loose by extreme force (several hundred lbs) or heat. You need one heck of a strap wrench, chain vice, torch or, like you say, take it to the shop. Impact works but you'll likey deform the body of the valve in the process.

I've got this picture, someone rolling around on the floor, tank between their legs and a pipe wrench!!!!

:eek:

Terry Lingle
04-19-2004, 01:04 AM
Sandy not a strap wrench a load binder srap 2 inch wide and 25 feet long rated about 10000 lbs.
I pull fuel and pressure valves quite often It is not a problem if you tighten first. Terry

Sandy
04-19-2004, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Terry Lingle
Sandy not a strap wrench a load binder srap 2 inch wide and 25 feet long rated about 10000 lbs.
I pull fuel and pressure valves quite often It is not a problem if you tighten first. Terry

Hey that's a good idea. You should have seen me and a small propane bottle a while back. I've used pole straps but the newer ones have an extra liner between layers that makes them too stiff to bind up. Maybe with two guys you could pull it around the bottle and pinch it in a vise at the same time?? Lot of the old ones had metal "D" rings on the end. I'll keep my eyes open for and old binder strap like you say. Would make good lifting straps for painted items too.

Trevor
04-19-2004, 01:44 AM
i got some straps i'll try this and post results
see i am a bartender and i want to make one of these and ring it when i get a large tip maybe generate some more tips if they get some kinda recoginition for being a good tipper like when i get larger than a five spot from someone also people might see it and have me make them one heck that guys getting $275 for his wow i know i could never get that for em but hey if i could make em for twenty or less and sell a couple for $100 i'd be doing alright

Trevor
04-19-2004, 02:39 AM
well i got that **** thing off there i couldnt get it strapped down i said the heck with it and cut it open with a chopsaw then cut the other end off too man for a small tank this thing is super loud
heres some pics

Trevor
04-19-2004, 02:40 AM
and one more

Trevor
04-20-2004, 05:53 AM
heres another pic after some grinding sanding sandblasting and wire wheeling and a trip to big R

Trevor
04-20-2004, 05:54 AM
and one of the loopbolt i bought

KST1
04-20-2004, 12:07 PM
Looking good Trevor. I would like to make one of those one day. Looks like a fun project.

Your reference to Big R makes me wonder where you are located in Illinois. I'm in the Monticello (home) and Urbana (work) area.

-D

Terry Lingle
04-20-2004, 12:50 PM
Looks very good Trevor. What is big R ?
Terry

Trevor
04-20-2004, 02:11 PM
Big R ,,its a farm and home kinda STORE

Trevor
04-20-2004, 02:13 PM
I live near taylorville I work in springfield

Jmb
04-20-2004, 02:26 PM
Thats pretty neat,Trevor. What is the diameter of that tank.

Mike..

Trevor
04-20-2004, 04:21 PM
outside diameter 5 1/4 inch this thing is loud i gotta put a clanger in it still

Jmb
04-20-2004, 04:28 PM
outside diameter 5 1/4 inch this thing is loud i gotta put a clanger in it still
Something hard, wrapped in leather, as Pelican suggested might sound better.
I gotta find one of those..LOL

Trevor
04-21-2004, 06:43 AM
i'm gonna try a piece of wood if i dont like the sound of that i will definetly try steel with and without leather to see what i like the best

Ryel
04-21-2004, 10:02 AM
well if we don't hear it you be sure to post the *.wav file!
;)

gomez308
04-21-2004, 06:22 PM
Ok guys y'all have me intrigued with this idea. Can you give me some safety tips on not getting blowed up while cutting on a bottle. Does it matter what kind of bottle??

TIA Mitch

DaveD
04-21-2004, 10:01 PM
hmmmm....I got this 80 gallon 175PSI vertical air tank I was wondering what to do with. Wonder how loud that would be?:D Maybe a bowling ball for a clapper? :p

Jmb
04-21-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by DaveD
:D Maybe a bowling ball for a clapper? :p
LMAO. I doubt if that is as thick as a bottle. Those things are 2000 psi.

Trevor
04-22-2004, 06:39 AM
how do i post a wave file

Old Man Stick
04-22-2004, 10:55 AM
Not sure that you can. You might have to put in a zip file to be able to post that format. I seen a few Pic posted here that are in a zip file.

OMS

Jmb
04-22-2004, 11:15 AM
how do i post a wave file
I would think that you could post it just like you do a .jpg as long as the file size is not greater than 100k or so. If you can post a .zip, you ought to be able to post a .wav. If it's greater than the max size, then maybe you could zip it to get the file size down.

Trevor
04-22-2004, 03:02 PM
i'm lost

Terry Lingle
04-22-2004, 03:28 PM
Don't panic Grab a towel:D
At the bottom of the post reply page is "attach file ". Use a sound editor -they come with burner software- to select the best part of the audio file then use winzip to zip it. Use the windoze properties to see the file size. If it is large cut more and repeat the zip process until the ziped file is just under 100 kbits. Attach that file to the post. HTH Terry

Pelican
04-22-2004, 08:38 PM
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Busy here. Looks like you've got it figured out. Looking forward to hearing the wav.
Nik

Trevor
04-24-2004, 07:37 AM
i recored a wave file and tryed to put it on this page and it said you could only use
gif jpg png txt zip bmp jpeg

04-24-2004, 09:48 AM
Try posting a zip the wav file for download.

Jmb
04-24-2004, 10:34 AM
i recored a wave file and tryed to put it on this page and it said you could only use
gif jpg png txt zip bmp jpeg
WinZip it first, and then post it.

jniolon
04-27-2004, 08:40 AM
took mine down this weekend to post some pics... here's the first

john

jniolon
04-27-2004, 08:50 AM
here's the hanger assembly

two galv 'eyenuts' ..one slotted to attach chain

jniolon
04-27-2004, 08:52 AM
here's the clapper

cut from a 2x8 pressure treated pine.. with two corner brackets drilled to accept 1/4 hardware

chain goes through 1" hole in center

jniolon
04-27-2004, 08:55 AM
here's the wind block

1x4" p.t. pine slotted and drilled for chain with 1/4" hardware

jniolon
04-27-2004, 08:59 AM
here's the whole clapper assembly

I'm looking for a larger tank... this tank is about 24" long and has a clear 'mid range' ring.... I'd like something with a much deeper fuller sound

maybe a nice 'inert' argon tank that won't launch when I try to cut it :D

john

Trevor
04-27-2004, 09:09 AM
thats great i still havent compleated mine i might use some of your ideas