PDA

View Full Version : extention cord

YJMike
01-17-2004, 01:11 AM
I just got my self a hobart stick 220 volt.. it pull 160 amps on DC and 225 ac. My question is, what size cable should I use for an extention cord? I live in AF base houseing and the only 220 I have is the dryer about 15 feet from the back porch..

Sberry
01-17-2004, 02:52 AM
That probanly isnt going to work, the breaker will be too light to run it. There are a few particulars to wiring for welder circuits. You need to run a wre to the panel, number 10 minimum, 8 is better depending on the distance, using a welder recept. 50A breaker.

Paychk
01-18-2004, 07:50 PM
YJMIKE

Be very careful about welding in base housing. Every base I was stationed at forbidd, anything that involved sparks, arcs, & open flames (except barbecues) in the housing area. I wasn't stationed at Sheppard, but I would at least check with the housing office or read the housing manual they should have provided to you. I would hate to see you on the wrong side of your Shirt or Commander. I never liked using the hobby shop equipment, cause most won't let you & the few that did, had poorly maintained equipment. Some of the employees thought they knew how to weld, and insisted on showing their lack of skill.:rolleyes:

kmon
01-20-2004, 11:51 PM
You really don't want to extend the power cord. If you need to weld farther from the outlet then you should extend the leads. A longer power cord will draw more amperage and require a higher amperage breaker. It can also cause the power cord and/or the extension cord to overheat.

I know this doesn't sound good since your 220 outlet is not in an ideal location. But I have seen long extension cords melt or catch on fire on 220 volt equipment.

If you are going to extend the leads, splice the next larger size lead cable as close to the "box" as possible. If you put really long leads on you may need to up the output amperage a notch or two.

Sberry
01-21-2004, 12:14 AM
I agree that most machines need some more lead added to make them user friendly but its much more economical to run cord or wire where needed and where is is practial to locate the machine. Problems with cords are from neglect and improper sizing, installation and overcurrent protection. Millions power these machines every day. In the average dwelling the majority of problems are from 120 circuits. Most places there are 2 or 3 240 circuits, most proffesionally installed where the user doesnt interact with them much. With 120V some bonehead putting a 30A fuse in a box in some place with ratty wiring and continious load applied like a heater,,, add in a flaw in the cord or at the plug and it cooks.

INTP
01-21-2004, 06:13 PM
If you need to extend a cable, it's better to do it on the highest voltage connection. This will result in the least voltage drop. (It's the same reason that long distance power lines are all high-voltage).

hankj
01-21-2004, 11:35 PM
YJMike,

If you are going to run a 230V extension cord, use at least #8 SO wire and the correct size connectors. On #8's, you can run 60 amps out to 50 feet with no worry. The male/female connectors should set you back about 40$$. I wouldn't try to plug it into your dryer outlet - it's fused at 30 amps and probably is wired with #10, which is too small. The breaker will trip anyway as soon as you crank up the buzz box much past 80 amps A/C. You need to make a new "home run" to the main panel, or use a pigtail arrangement at the main panel.

Be safe!

Hankj