PDA

View Full Version : Different 110/220 plug types with pics

JohnV
01-08-2004, 07:32 AM
Hey guys I was doing some research on the type of plugs on a 220 volt welder and I came across this site with pics of the different types of plugs. I thought it might help someone here sometime in the future?

Different 110/220 plug types with pics (http://www.evenheat-kiln.com/technical/recept/recept.htm)

customwelds
01-08-2004, 07:42 AM
Do they not make the 230/240 volt plugs that have curved prongs anymore? My grandpa has an old stick mchine that has a plug like that, and I've never seen another.

MAC702
01-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Describe better what you mean by "curved" prongs. Is it like the grounding prong on the NEMA 10-30R in the above link?

customwelds
01-08-2004, 11:34 AM
Similar, but no square angles. It's round as in a circle would be, the prongs are as if you cut a little hunk out of a circle. I can't really think of a good way to explain what I'm talking about without a pic. All three progs are shaped this way and if you were to take a connect the dots aproach, could draw a line between the prongs and get a circle.

Terry Lingle
01-08-2004, 03:59 PM
those plugs are called " twist loc"they come in all voltages up to 600 and up to 30 amps. In single phase and three phase . Each combination has a unique configuration that prevents incorrect connections . search the hubbel electric site for a chart. They are industrial light duty . The heavy duty units are the "arc tite" style conectors that can cost more than a welder. Terry

customwelds
01-08-2004, 09:06 PM
Thanks! I don't really need one, i was just wondering why you don't see them often, now I know.

James D. Clark
04-02-2004, 10:22 AM
When I started investigating getting a welder and after deciding on a 220 volt powered one, I first had to run a 220 volt service to the garage. No use getting the welder without a place to plug it in. I had a difficult time finding what the outlet configuration was for the 220 volt welders. There are numbers for the plugs and outlets in the owners manuals, but I wanted to see some better grapics to make sure what to buy. I finally found a Hobart welder out of the box at a farm store and got to see a plug.:)

So for those newbes and want-a-bes, here is a picture.