PDA

View Full Version : Can I weld Stainless with Normal Mild Steel Flux Wire?

ulaughwme
10-22-2011, 08:56 AM
I am making a BBQ Grill and have stainless rods (slightly magnetic). Can I weld them with normal flux core? Stainless flux core is very difficult to find? What would happen if I just use normal flux? wire? YES..I am totally new to welding.

Hotfoot
10-22-2011, 09:58 AM
I've done plenty of that with gas (MIG), and I suppose it will work with Flux Core...but in either case, the weld will rust (heavily, because its a BBQ). :)

Roger
10-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Yes can weld stainless steel with steel filler. In you case with self shielding flux core wire. Welds will be strong but will rust.

If I have stainless steel exposed outside to the weather or stainless steel sink and use steel wool to scrub clean the stainless steel excessive iron will coat surface of stainless steel so it will develope flash rust on surface. After that I can scrub it with cleaner and greeny pad or Stainless steel scrubber and the stainless steel will again tend to develop rusty surface over time. Only way to stop the rust happening again is to passivate the steel surface again. Which removes excess iron from surface of SS.

usmcpop
10-22-2011, 11:26 AM
If you weld a stainless BBQ Grill with mild steel wire, you will have to restrict the use to only the better grades of meat and seafood. Tough meat and cheap hotdogs may cause excessive corrosion and even present an explosion hazard. :D

jbmprods
10-22-2011, 07:34 PM
If you weld a stainless BBQ Grill with mild steel wire, you will have to restrict the use to only the better grades of meat and seafood. Tough meat and cheap hotdogs may cause excessive corrosion and even present an explosion hazard. :D

don't forget he has to invite us over for the completion and christening ceremony.:D

canoecruiser
10-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Give it a good wire-brushing before use to clean off crud and any loose rust will fall off.

Some of those cheap "cast iron" grill grates show rust after some use and people just brush them off. What you want to do can't come close to looking as bad.

Welded (well, scabbed) lots of 409 "stainless" car exhausts back on after they fell off to squeak a bit more life out of a junker. Used O/A and RG45 filler. Not a first-rate approach but it holds.....for awhile.