PDA

View Full Version : Old Craftsman MIG?

JohnA
12-21-2003, 04:13 PM
About 10 or so years ago, a Sears in our area was closing and on the last day I bought a Craftsman MIG Model 934.20105 for $25. I also bought a large box full of many rolls of wire, tips, nozzles, cleaners, and spare parts of $25. The thing has never been used and now that I have retired I am thinking of working on a TR-4 Triumph that I have. It only has two power settings, LOW up to 45 amps, HIGH up to 75 amps, variable wire speed, a 20% duty cycle and 110 volts.

I am going to have to learn to weld. But is it worth trying to learn on this machine, or should I consider buying a more modern one?

Thanks for the help..

Thomas Harris
12-21-2003, 04:33 PM
I had the one you describe. Mine had two heat settings and a gas set-up. I struggled with it and finally sold it. I got a 220 volt MM 172 the difference is like night and day. This thing can produce enough heat to weld most of the heaviest stock my needs require. It also is more predictable with the lighter stuff. Hope your Craftsman unit is more cooperative than mine was.

Sundown
12-21-2003, 08:30 PM
If that is a Century made and you can add C25 gas to it and use .023/024 wire, you can probably get by with it. If you are planing on doing a lot of body work with it and metal thickness not greater than, say, 16ga. If you are planning on going thicker, then get a HH/MM135 (1/8") or HH/MM175 (1/4"). You could also get a Lincoln , I just prefer Hobarts and Millers. You certinly could get more than you paid for that one you have on ebay. Anyway, welcome...

Fla Jim
12-21-2003, 08:35 PM
According to the prefix #934. The machine was made by century.
I got that information from the "OWWM" sight that Cutter mentioned.

Thomas Harris
12-21-2003, 08:53 PM
Mine was a Century made machine. I got quite good response from the customer service people there, but it still never really welded to well for me. I believe that Century now is Chlore Automotive Co. or something. The machine I had did not have a contactor so the wire was hot all the time. The regulator was also a fixed variety which could not be adjusted. It was preset to 20 cu.ft./hr. Both of these were features I really appriciated getting when upgrading to the Millermatic. Being able to cylce the arc on/off was especially helpful.

cutter
12-22-2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Fla Jim
According to the prefix #934. The machine was made by century.
I got that information from the "OWWM" sight that Cutter mentioned.

LOL, way to go, Jim.

OWWM does have some really good stuff posted for public consumption, don't they? You can get a lot of good out visiting there without ever registering. They recently became aware that some guy was re-selling some of their free brochures on ebay and politely asked him to cease & desist unless he intended to donate the proceeds to them. He apologized very politely and pulled the auctions. That serial number list helped me identify the orginal manufacturers of several old saws that I own & date them to within a couple of years of production. Very handy. :D