PDA

View Full Version : Welding Rod Dryer

Tom Hintz
12-14-2010, 09:59 AM
I am going to build a cart for my Hobart Stickmate to make it easier to move around and was thinking about building a rod drying oven into the cart. I was wondering if anyone here has built their own rod drying oven/box and what you used for a heating element.

Sberry
12-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Most of the electrodes you will be using for the AC Stickmate do not belong in an oven. Just stored in room that isnt dripping wet.

Tom Hintz
12-14-2010, 11:18 AM
As has happened repeatedly on my woodworking site, people will modify projects to fit their machines/needs. Chances are some will be putting a DC machine on so I wanted to see if would be possible to build-in a rod dryer right away.

Sberry
12-14-2010, 09:51 PM
The rods that need heater are low hydrogen, basically 7018. Heaters are needed for critical work, most home shops don't have them. I had considered building one, even saved the parts from an old 120V oven, haven't done it yet. Putting electrodes other than lohi in is detrimental to them, designed to have some atmospheric moisture in them to operate properly.
Millions of lohi are used every day without ovens, not much of an issue on single pass light material.
to build-in a rod dryer right away. Also, these are not rod dryers, they are storage ovens, kept at 300 degrees 24/7, really something that has to be justified financially???

SidecarFlip
12-14-2010, 10:07 PM
I run 7018 almost exclusively with my Ranger and I absconded with an old toaster oven al la dumpster and I keep a substantial supply in that with it set on low. It holds almost 25 pounds and it was free.

...Do they still make pop tarts?

Tom Hintz
12-15-2010, 03:00 AM
I think that I am going to change my spec for the cart and use a simple desiccant box in the rod box. Many of the people I have been corresponding with are working in garage-based shops, some a small out building and both are very susceptible to lots of humidity, particularly in rainy weather. I have seen wood gain quite a bit of moisture content in my shop so hopefully the desiccant box will just keep things in a more "normal" range. I want to have a place to store rods on the cart anyway so building in a box that can be closed up is a simple addition.

SidecarFlip
12-15-2010, 08:23 AM
I like dessicant packs myself. Keeps my tools from oxidizing in the toolbox, I use the reuseable kind. A trip to the kitchen oven changes them from purple to clear again.

Tom Hintz
12-15-2010, 08:32 AM
I like dessicant packs myself. Keeps my tools from oxidizing in the toolbox, I use the reusable kind. A trip to the kitchen oven changes them from purple to clear again.

That sounds like what I ordered yesterday. They are in 2x2x1"
polycarbonate boxes with slots that let the air through. Once they fill up and change color you can renew them in the oven or microwave. Like $18 for four of them. Easy to build into the cart box, easy to maintain and cheap as compared to a powered system.

SidecarFlip
12-15-2010, 09:00 AM
I keep my firearms 'on ice' with them too. My gun safe is in the house and I didn't want to buy a corded, in safe dryer. The dessicant packs work really well. I've found that the conventional oven (on low) works better than the microwave for restoring the dessicant. The microwave is quicker but the conventional oven does a better job.

I wait for my wife to bake something and 'borrow' her oven on the backside of her baking, on the cool down.......:D

mikecwik
12-15-2010, 09:11 AM
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/articles/content/storing.asp

usmcpop
12-15-2010, 10:18 AM
A cheap source of dessicant is that "crystal" kitty litter. I got a 4 pound jug of "Pets Pride" at Kroger for about $5-$6.

Farmer
12-19-2010, 09:20 AM
I keep all my electrodes in an old discarded bar fridge. I have 2 40 watt bulbs hook in parallel. They run quite dim but never burn out. Keeps the inside temperature of the fridge at about 100 - 110 degree F. When using 7018 I toss them in my rod oven. An old toaster oven sounds like just the ticket for a low cost oven. Before finding mine , I toyed with the idea of insulating a tool box and installing light bulbs for heat and a dimmer switch for a temperature control.

Roger
12-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Was a thread on this site about how a rod storage oven was built complete with pictures. This was maybe 5 years ago. The project looked to equivalent commercial rod oven. He used rock wool insulation blanket between inner and outer wall that could withstand 300 degree temp. Braided door gasket as used on wood stoves. Heating element and thermostat are readily available new or used. Can salvage insulation blanket, heating element, door gasket and thermostat for old electric oven. Counter top oven for salvage 110V heating elements. I would double insulation thickness over what is used for typical home oven to lower electric bill for oven that is always on.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/articles/content/storing.asp

Champion
12-19-2010, 08:21 PM
I bought a keen model K200 welding rod oven today for

I bought a KEEN mod K200 welding rod oven today for $100 in good working condition. Still in my truck and it is nearly full of welding rods, but I had no trouble with my rods that I kept in the original container until I used them. I think it was a good deal.