PDA

View Full Version : Oh No! Clear coat turned white/milky. HELP!

67prostreet
06-19-2010, 12:50 AM
Hello All,

I was a member on the forum previously but for some reason my login didnt work! I had to recreate my account.

Anyhow, I have a problem. I created a lily flower and decided to clear coat it with Krylon Clear Spray. I have cleared several of my projects in the past and haven't had the slightest of problems.

I sprayed 1 coat, let it dry. Flipped the project over and sprayed the other side. When I came out to look at it everything had turned a milky white color. It looks like there is a thin film surronding the metal.

What are my options? Can I douse the project in Paint Thinner or Lacquer Thinner? Will that rust the metal? I would just wire wheel it but it is very delicate and I REALLY can't afford to ruin it now.

Please let me know your thoughts. I can hit certain safe areas with the wire wheel but I'd rather stay away from that.

Thanks and I apologize for the ramble - I spent the last 2 nights working late on the project.

Thanks

Hotfoot
06-19-2010, 01:32 AM
That was caused by high humidity in the air. I remove it when it happens, but what's to lose trying to heat it out? I believe its Stewart MacDonald (guitar stuf0 that has a remover for the milk, but I've never tried it. Try Googling "remove Milky haze on spray painted" and see what pops up....:o

ptsideshow
06-19-2010, 04:54 AM
As Hotfoot said it's the humidity when it was sprayed, I too have heard of assorted things to do to remove it, Never tried any. Other than removing it and a redo.
:D

urch55
06-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Go to your local auto parts store in the paint dept. they have spray on paint stripper.
Spray it on wait, hose it off. You may have to do it a few times but that stuff works great. I have used it before..

67prostreet
06-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Hey y'all, thanks so much for the info.

Here's what I'm worried about when using the solvents...

Rust :/

I had every petal so shiny and bright before clearing. I'm afraid that if I spray it (then hose it afterwards) it would have some sort of adverse effect. I wouldn't even mind dousing the whole sculpture in a solvent (lacquer, paint thinner, etc) as long as it wont make it rust. I have an automotive parts washer and toothbrushes as well, but come to think of it the solvent is extremely dirty.

Have you guys used chemicals on metal? What were the effects?

Thanks

AnotherDano
06-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Was the humidity high when you coated it?
That will give a milky finish...

Strip it with Quickstrip 2000 and try again on a dry day.
Or, call a local powder coater and ask for advice with the piece in-hand.

usmcpop
06-19-2010, 04:18 PM
OK, if you have a little Krylon Clear left, spray a test piece. Now find some solvent in your arsenal that will (hopefully) dissolve it. Just rub a bit of this and that here and there. Once you find something that will strip it relatively easily, work fast in as cool and dry an atmosphere as possible.

ptsideshow
06-19-2010, 04:28 PM
After chemically cleaning the item, and hosing it off good what most people doing metal art objects, due is use acetone as a moisture remover. It has an affinity for water and will entrap it.
You have to under stand, that when use most any clear when the humidity is higher than what it says on the can. This results happens to everybody, They try to get around or minimize it, by the use of heat lamps in the spray area, have an enclosed spray area. and have the cans of clear warmed up to the same temp as the item being sprayed of room temperature. Like it says on the cans.

You can heat the piece after the water bath and acetone but that can also cause flash rust most of which will come off easily.

It is all ways better to do it correctly and do it once then rework a piece, But some times it just doesn't work out. Same problems when you are using the Permalac or other pro clears.

As for the chemicals effects on metals each one can react differently. Rust is oxidation is a reaction of moisture with certain things in the iron/steel. Other things can speed up the process or slow it down.

As long as the chemicals don't contain water, or aren't hydroscopic (an affinity for water) if the items are solvent cleaned, then washed then most of the water removed by shaking and then the acetone bath then dried with a rag. Notice DO NOT use an AIR LINE and BLOW gun to dry as you will force moisture in the air in to the crannies.

And don't use your parts cleaning tub as that mostly contains a lot of water from being entrapped in the air, with the fluid being pumped around if now a days a lot of the parts washer fluids are water based. The dirty fluid could be your worst night mare, no telling what it has washed off any and all the parts you have run through it.

Hotfoot
06-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Try sparaying it with "Chrome" aerosol paint. You may just well get the results you were looking for...but even with that, or any paint....avoid high humidity...:)

walker
06-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Just use some lacquer thinner in a small bucket and use a paint brush to brush off the clear coat. Then warm up the project with a hair dryer a wee bit and re spray.

Scott Young
06-21-2010, 12:10 PM
do nothing. serious. i sprayed a car for a friend and it was milky in fact, we were horrified and I was tired so I tole hime we would strip it off at a later date. he left it sitting my the garage for a week and when we came back to it, I was clear. as the paint cures the sovents will draw the moisture out. you can heat it out, but I didn't have a large enough heater.

We may have gotten lucky, but I would search over at one of the auto painting forums. they will have run into this I am sure.