PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln Electric LN-25 Welder?

kismetmiss
05-30-2010, 07:05 PM
Hi I am new to these forums, I am newly learning to weld to do auto repairs (radiator support replacement). Someone helping me said this would be an excellent place to ask questions :)

I am working outside and need a flux core welder. I want to rent one for starters, but don't want to go to home depot because my local home depot thinks women should cook, not weld their cars. So I found a local shop online (from United Rentals), the smallest welder they rent is the Lincoln Electric LN-25 Welder. They are closed until Tuesday so I can't call them so I thought I'd ask here. Is that the kind of welder one could use at home and plug into the wall or an extension cord? I know it does both gas and flux core, and it's a good brand. I've been googling it for an hour now and can't find any personal experience or reviews, just the same base stats. I'd like to know so I can start looking on ebay for wire, gun, etc if I choose it.

Thank you for any answers! Hope it's not too dumb of a question.
-Rachel

GilaSlim
05-30-2010, 07:44 PM
The LN-25 is a wire feeder that must be attached to a power source such as a stick welder or multi-process welder. By itself, it does not produce a welding arc.

You need to look at renting something like an SP-140T or PowerMig 140C - both self-contained MIG/Fluxcore welders from Lincoln. Home Depot probably would rent something like the Weldpak 140HD, which is one they sell in their stores, very similar to the ones listed above.

You can also check rental stores for machines like the Hobart 140 or Miller 140. These are also self contained MIG/FC welders.

I'm assuming you don't already have a stick or multi-process welder. If you do, then the LN-25 is by all accounts an excellent wire feeder.

Good luck!

kismetmiss
05-30-2010, 08:09 PM
You assumed right, I have no other welder, I'm new to the skill. I've got one other rental company I put out an email inquiry to for a more "household" welder. If they only have the more industrial kinds, I guess I could suck it up and go back to home depot. Or stand on the street with a mig gun and a sign "will mow lawn for access to welder." Thanks for the info!

Roger
05-30-2010, 08:29 PM
LN25 is a Suitcase wire feeder used with engine driven DC CV (constant Current) welder and powered by welding current. They are expensive enough you could buy a good all in one MIG welder for the same amount.

Your not the first want to be weldor thinking they are a cheap feed welder when all they are is a wire feeder in a suitcase.

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.aspx?p=421
http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/e8100.pdf

Here are links to 2 wire feed welders that look about the same but include both welding power supply (welder) and wire feeder in about the same size suitcase.
http://hobartwelders.com/products/battery-powered/
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_passport_plus/

Welcome aboard.
Ask more questions.
We all started welding full of questions and will now happily try to answer some of your questions. So you can use and pass on your welding knowledge and skill later.

Roger
05-30-2010, 08:39 PM
I would take your broken radiator support to welding shop for welding. If no welding shop, a muffler shop can weld it. Much cheaper than renting welder, learning to weld, then welding your radiator support. They might let you watch and show you how to weld if they are not real busy. All for a small fee.

urch55
05-30-2010, 09:11 PM
Welcome Rachel to the weld talk chatter box. If you are starting out and you think you will enjoy welding, either for personal projects or art work. I would consider buying a welder. I don't know how much they want for rental fees, but if you did that enough you could have put that money towards a welder. Plus you would not have to hurry because the rental fees are adding up, you could take your time and learn while you weld. Example Hobart Handler 140 runs a little over $600.00 list price. You can use that machine with flux core, and it will weld up to 3/16Th" material. And you can upgrade to solid wire with the same machine if you decide to do so. :)

Like Roger said we all had questions, and I might add,at times we still do. You never stop learning. Take care and see ya around..

kismetmiss
05-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Thanks Roger and Urch, I checked out those sites. You have a point about professional welders (although that wouldn't be as fun, hehehe). The problem I figured on is the whole front end of the car will be off by then and it'll be up on jacks. I'm fixing collision damage and replacing the radiator support and pretty much every piece of car that comes in front of it. But just in case, I'm searching for local welders like you suggested. Maybe I can convince one to do a housecall? I'm looking forward to the welding, but if a pro would save money, it's an important thought.

I had originally planned to buy a welder but the best I could afford was a "Factory-Reconditioned Campbell Hausfeld RBWF200000 115 Volt Wire Feed Welder (Flux Core Only)." Thought a $40 day rental of higher quality might be better.

I promise I will share what knowledge I acquire. There's nothing I love more.

Sberry
05-30-2010, 10:20 PM
Yup, this is the place to man up,, girl up then and put the rental money that would be flushed toward a machine, Hobart 140 for light auto work and don't look back. No good way around buying a machine.

enlpck
05-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Where are you located? There may be a member local (or reasonably so) with an appropriate machine that can help you on this job. (on the user profile, there is a setting for location) Learning on a vehicle can be frustrating, especially if the parts are safety of function critical, and an experienced eye is a big help, even if doing the job yourself. I learned more in a week from the other guys on the job than I did in three years of trades, and I think most experienced welders will tell you the same thing-- it is a field where apprenticeship makes all the difference.

kismetmiss
05-30-2010, 11:45 PM
I'm at Fayetteville, Ft. Bragg, NC. But I have "good" news. I started taking broken parts off the car tonight to get a better look at the radiator support. I checked the damaged areas the shop had said were the reason for the replacement, and they weren't as bad as I thought. I went at them with hammer and pliers and they don't look as bad. Right now I'm asking friends at the Taurus club to review photos, to see if the straightening out I did is good enough or if I still need to replace it. I may not need to.

I should be happy but I'm bummed. Without the new radiator support I have nothing to weld. I was really getting psyched about it. I guess I could use the money I save to buy a decent welder and take up a hobby...

But I may still need the replacement, so we'll see, should know by tomorrow.

kismetmiss
05-31-2010, 12:51 PM
It's looking more and more like I won't need the new rad support, after general inspection and some more bending work today. Won't know for sure till I take it all apart. If I do need it, and there's anyone in Fayetteville interested, I'd love advice.

This does not end my welding experience however. I'm too interested. Perhaps the car could use a new exhaust pipe or something. I'll keep perusing the message boards and learning. Thanks for all the advice!