PDA

View Full Version : who makes Clark?

legacy_hunter02
05-12-2010, 12:36 PM
saw a Clark at our orchelin store here pretty cheap....came with a cart and the welder for $500...was a 220v welder to so i thought it was a decent buy but was courious if the Clark welders are any good

crawler
05-12-2010, 12:46 PM
I don't know how durable they are, but based on the parts used, I'd say they will not stack up against Miller, Hobart, or Lincoln. The welder drive motor is tiny.

I replaced a mig gun liner on a 130EN for a friend. Let's just say the process really stunk and would not wish the task upon anyone. What a sorry design for the mig gun and how it attaches to the drive roll plastic "housing." The mig gun is only 6 feet long and not useful. Also tripped my 20amp breaker which worked perfectly for my Millermatic 130 welder.

Final note, Clark is no longer in business. You can get parts from HTP.

mudbug
05-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Price sounds too high for a Clarke,they sell for less on Ebay new...even the biggest output ones.

They are out of business in the US other than Sears & Forney both were distributing re-badged Clarke machines and may still sell them.

As stated HTP has some parts and Clarke is still in business in the UK and can be contacted online. http://www.clarkeservice.co.uk/

If it was less $$$ and in perfect operating condition...Maybe...otherwise personal choice and prudence should rule such a purchase. I say any of the big 3... Hobart,Lincoln,Miller might be a better choice and probably less expensive too in the long run.

raleigh
05-12-2010, 02:26 PM
You can buy a refurbished Hobart 140 for $400 or less and it will be a much better choice than a Clarke...I have a HH 140 refurb and it is a terrific machine for 1/8th" steel and I think it would do a good job on 3/16ths" as long as it was prepped right; I think it was $389 on toolking or northern tool, freight incl. It came with everything and worked like a champ right out of the box.

The suggestion in the other post about attending a trade school is a great idea....I went to a tech school in Tulsa one evening a week for a few months and they knew I just wanted to be a hobby welder; taught me a bunch and they furnish all of the consumables and you get to try all the methods and different equipment and then focus on what you want to use...its a great bargain.

Sberry
05-12-2010, 03:03 PM
For another 150 or so you can get a Hobart 187, that welder would have to be 300 to make it a deal.

SidecarFlip
05-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Clarke is Chinese for cheaply made.

Actually, Clarke is a distributor for imported in container equipment.

monckywrench
05-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Instead of buying a Clarke, I'd spend ten bucks to pay a friend to kick me in the crotch until I changed my mind. The pain would be over more quickly and I wouldn't be stuck with a guano welder. :D

There are plenty of good new and used US-made Red, Blue, and Yellow machines to choose from.

gsport
06-09-2010, 05:58 PM
Clarke is Chinese for cheaply made.

Actually, Clarke is a distributor for imported in container equipment.

the clark is made in italy.. i had one and didn't like it at all, had a terrible time finding the sweet spot with it. sold it and bought a miller 211, and couldn't be happier...

SidecarFlip
06-09-2010, 06:09 PM
the clark is made in italy.. i had one and didn't like it at all, had a terrible time finding the sweet spot with it. sold it and bought a miller 211, and couldn't be happier...

The Clarke, no matter where it's made, comes in a container most likely into Baltimore or LA.

If they are made in Italy, that's another strike against them. Itallian anything is bad news including Fiat, Itallian food and women notwithstanding.:D

All the other Clarke stuff I've seen comes from China. I have a Clarke bandsaw that I was given as a gift. It needed a real motor, ball bearings in the bandwheels and some fiddling with but now it actually cuts square.

kenml
06-10-2010, 05:23 PM
add few $ you can get a WELDKING migsoni-145. it is the best value small mig welder at present.

Sberry
06-10-2010, 05:32 PM
I think the best value in small mig today is the Hobart 187.

SidecarFlip
06-11-2010, 06:24 AM

I think you are right.:) Actually, across the board, Hobart is a good value. While they may not produce the range that Lincoln or Miller produce, what they produce and market is a good value, well thought out machines and machines that for the most part are trouble free.

Sberry
06-11-2010, 06:58 AM
They spent the effort where its needed, on arc quality. The machines are simple, just whats needed, no junk on them. They also streamlined the product line by tossing the 2 Im's for the 230. Only thing that might be added is a 120V unit similar to the Maxstar kind of like they did with the EZ, a simple 120 unit for sticks down on the economical end. I have a Max, never use it on 230 anyway. In my case we have heavier stick units in the shop and I only use the Max portable so for those with only one machine there might be some advantage but to keep pricing down there would be a place for a single voltage unit.

hockeyguynick
06-12-2010, 08:46 PM
What about airco welders? They seem to be a fairly decently priced, and I've heard good things about em (not to try and talk anyone out of a Hobart, I love mine)

kenml
07-09-2010, 07:32 PM

well, anybody here can tell me who's machine can do both 110V/230V, auto? Who's machine have rated 60% at 145A? Even Miller and Lincoln can not do it.

usmcpop
07-09-2010, 09:08 PM
well, anybody here can tell me who's machine can do both 110V/230V, auto? Who's machine have rated 60% at 145A? Even Miller and Lincoln can not do it.

If you can give me a purchase order for 12,000 units annually, loaded up front, I can help you out. I'll even rate them 60% at at 150, more if you like. You want a Kenmelt sticker on the front? What color?

To answer the original poster's question of who makes Clark, I believe it's the Low Bidee division of Yue Noh Squat.

ptsideshow
07-10-2010, 05:48 AM
A year a go, July 6 2009 Clarke Power Products USA (Clarke welders) is in Chapter 11 There was some noise about somebody buying them name etc. and continuing the brand. as the have a lot of stuff sold buy a lot of stores.

They had a factory in Perrysburg Ohio, that closed they assembled some of the welders there. The ClarkeUSA web site is now parked @ go daddy.

Had a Clarke 100en for what it was, a low cost hobbyist machine with a low duty cycle it worked fine. If you are doing more than 2 welding sessions a year the Hobart's can't be beat.

Check out Tractor supply company stores or their web site, as they have them on sale a lot.

ClarkeUK (http://www.clarkeinternational.com/pages/clarke-home)

is a separate company with no ties to the US version.

They are a major player in England and the EU.

By the way check the country of origin on most any spool of wire that has been purchased in the last two years. No matter what brand it probably, was made in Italy.
:D

cope
07-10-2010, 10:49 AM
What about airco welders? They seem to be a fairly decently priced, and I've heard good things about em (not to try and talk anyone out of a Hobart, I love mine)
Airco is long since out of business. Many of their machines were made by miller. They were good to go.

cope
07-10-2010, 10:49 AM

I agree, it is a great little machine.