PDA

View Full Version : What do you wear when MIG welding?

agent86
04-26-2010, 04:05 PM
So, what do you wear while MIG welding? Is a full leather jacket overkill? Which gloves? I see some videos with 18 in gloves, some "normal" size leather gloves, some no gloves at all. Levis, chaps...

I want to dress properly but not overkill.

urch55
04-26-2010, 05:59 PM
Well Agent86 I think it depends on the position you are welding in. In front or below me short sleeve work shirt maybe gloves or not. Over head or if I have to lie down long sleeve leathers would be nice and gloves. When I do wear gloves it's mig/tig gloves. And of course long pants (Jeans). I do not know if you could ever be over dressed. All it would take is one piece of red hot molten steel droplet burn though your pants and under wear,:eek: or get stuck between your fingers,or how about down your shirt etc. You fill in the blank_____. If any one of those happens I bet you wished you were over dressed for protection. God gave us common sense, it's up to us to use it...

mikecwik
04-26-2010, 06:54 PM
dress how you feel you need to dress, not how someone else does.

i tend to wear stick gloves. i just like them. this should get some laughs but i use them for tig once in a while.

i like protection. i wear a leather jacket. even a heavy cotton one is nice when youre laying all over what youre welding resting this or that here or there. on my list of things id like is just a simple square of leather to rest over the top of my thighs when sitting for longer periods. i mostly wear jeans. i imagine ill get around to something better for the legs one day. i cant buy everything at one go so prioritize

im probably overkill on the spectrum. its just my nature.

urch55 is right. where i work is not a weld shop but we have to at times. i hate the cotton/polyester uniform.spatter just pops right through that material. i must have had cotton polyester underwear on too. it was a long burner. you know the ones where youre thinking oh that will go cold any sec now. any sec now. i just need to keep.....aghhhhhhhhhhhh!

Hotfoot
04-26-2010, 07:25 PM
...NEVER weld in sneakers!!! The little blob will pass right through the shoe and lodge between your toes. A ritual I experienced one time too many, prompting me to change my forum "handle" from "Evaporator"...which accurately defined my technique on thin metals...:p

(Its been posted before...this is for the newer members)

http://i39.tinypic.com/6gm15f.jpg

hankj
04-26-2010, 07:42 PM
When I started out, i was totally **** about dressing up. Long sleeved shirt, gloves, leather apron, weldor's cap, and steel toes.

Then, it turned to summer. 105 in the shop. You figure it out pretty quick.

Nowadays, it's cape and sleeve if I REALLY gotta git down, but mostly anymore it's long sleeves and gloves. Jeans and leather shoes work well, too.

Hank

SidecarFlip
04-26-2010, 09:32 PM
All depends on the quantity of sunburn you wish to receive.:D

When I'm welding, it's a session so I tend to cover up. I'm welding assemblies on a conductive table, seated. I tend to not wear gloves but my skin is old (I'm old) and it's pretty tough from years of biking so I don't burn easily.

Might have somethinfg to do with my ancestory too.

When I'm running my Lincoln AC/DC gas rig doing scratch start 7018, it's another story.

cajun1
04-26-2010, 10:48 PM
MIG gloves, Long Sleeve FR shirt, Jeans, and work boots. I sunburn rather easy so I like to cover up the skin.

mrcaptainbob
04-26-2010, 11:31 PM
I have an old black leather jacket, a pair of gauntlet gloves inherited from my son and leather work boots. Regular pants, coveralls or long shirt tails with burn holes in them. The jacket is the black leather variety, and it does gt 'warm' in there when out in the sun. But it's something I choose to deal with.

TEK
04-26-2010, 11:45 PM
MIG welding covers a very wide range of power and heat levels...T-shirt and shorts might work for one day, next day an armor suit might not be enough...carry enough gear to cover the gamut of situations you WILL face...you just never know.....

boykjo
04-27-2010, 12:13 AM
Bathing suit, flip flops and some reading glasses.......

Can you just picture yourself? :D

professur
04-27-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm surprised noone mentioned head cover. A welder's beanie helps keep your nose from filling with the smell of burn hair.

usmcpop
04-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Dress like the pros:

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=31031&stc=1&d=1272396303

urch55
04-27-2010, 02:50 PM
I'm surprised noone mentioned head cover. A welder's beanie helps keep your nose from filling with the smell of burn hair.

Maybe the reason being we get burnt a lot more in other places than on the beanie.:rolleyes: I don't remember the last time I smelt hair burning other than when it goes down my pants.:rolleyes: I can hear the hair burning when it goes in my ear, but a hat of some sorts won't help that. Maybe ear plugs or muffs, yea that's it..:p

eddie
04-27-2010, 03:53 PM
I wear my reading glasses so I can get down close...otherwise, I might not wear any eye protection...but I advise it.

The welding caps ($11 dollars !!) I use so the little bill keeps stuff off the back of your neck and down your shirt and off my sparsely covered noggin.

Standing up, I've been in shorts but usually with long sleeve shirt.

Gloves....always...so I can concentrate on the weld without worrying about a burn.

SidecarFlip
04-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Using the gas axe once I dropped a hot one in my boot. It smelled like steak cooking but it was me cooking....:D

I still have a nice scar and I don't wear my pants in my boots anymore.

cajun1
04-27-2010, 08:46 PM
About a month ago, I noticed my left leg getting rather warm. Stopped the bead and still the heat kept getting worse. Raised the hood and looked down. My pant leg was on fire. :eek: Seems the frayed hems on my jeans were not FR. Thankfully my leather boots kept me from burning the crap out of my leg.:D

epjohnso
04-27-2010, 09:14 PM
Busy working on the project, I notice that smell of burning hair.
First, I ain't got that much to spare, and about 2 seconds after the hair, was the wonderful sensation of my head burning!

Gloves, helmet, and jumping up and down, almost ready to dunk the head in the quench tank - then the only lucid thought came into my head. That water in the quench tank is the foulest, nastiest smelling water - next to a septic tank.

Did three things after that - found a hat, and changed the water in the tank, and put burn ointment on my head. It burnt a hole in my scalp, and it hurt for 3 days.

The other part is, the hat seems to keep my helmet more stable too, so it seems to work for that too.

epjohnso

Pangea
04-27-2010, 09:16 PM
When i was welding high pressure pipe in Southwest Louisiana the guys in the shop would squirt lighter fluid on your boot toe when you had your hood down on a 15 minute weld. You just have no idea how a big Coon@zz can dance with a big Tweeco MIG gun in one hand, a chain tong in the other and one boot in the air!:D

usmcpop
04-28-2010, 07:17 AM
Using the gas axe once I dropped a hot one in my boot. It smelled like steak cooking but it was me cooking....:D

I still have a nice scar and I don't wear my pants in my boots anymore.

A former boss used the torch to cut off a little piece of 1/8" thick strap to repair a piece of yard art for his wife. Was wearing shorts and slipped on his cowboy boots. Yep, the cut piece fell into the boot!!! It was nasty.

TEK
04-28-2010, 01:22 PM
When i was welding high pressure pipe in Southwest Louisiana the guys in the shop would squirt lighter fluid on your boot toe when you had your hood down on a 15 minute weld. You just have no idea how a big Coon@zz can dance with a big Tweeco MIG gun in one hand, a chain tong in the other and one boot in the air!:D

That ones good---I've been shot with Gas, Diesel, Starting fluid, and Zippo juice, all in the name of good old dirt-dog, field workin fun....miss those days---

One of my personal favorites was filling a small ziploc baggie with a oxy-acety mix and then just ever so casually 'dropping' it near where you know sparks will be flyin soon......if you put a small amount of dirt in it, you can toss 'em purty far......:D

cboerema
04-28-2010, 08:39 PM
if you want a free tan no shirt.actually i use frc green cause i weld so bad i have grinding to do and i hate the itch of grindings in my clothes. not to mention the earfull from the war department about putting that nasty stuff in our washer

Roger
04-29-2010, 07:57 AM
Many times I have worn swim suit while welding and wet suit or dry suit welding underwater.

hockeyguynick
04-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Just to add my 2 cents, like already mentioned, depends on the weld. With my little 135A welder, a pair of mechanic's gloves and a t-shirt. But Flux core'n at 35 volts, I can't wear heavy enough gloves, they're usually smokin by the time I get done. If I have to get in close, my clear lense on my sheild is normally melted to my dark lense, too. Haven't managed to get the hot foot yet, I'm sure my day is comin, however, my thighs are covered in burns/blisters from stick weldin s.s. pipe. A welder's cap, and earmuffs can't ever hurt to keep sparks from gettin in ur hair/ears. I also have a flap hangin off my sheilds to keep stuff out of my shirt, more comfortable than bottoning my jakcet all the way up to my neck.

monckywrench
04-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Sunburn causes skin cancer, so I stay covered and use the heaviest sunscreen available if I'm welding for a long time.

I wear jeans and lace-up steel-toed boots all the time, not just welding. No ghetto pants, no frayed ends to burn, no holes to let spatter in.

If I wore a work shirt I'd do what my veteran pipeliner friends do and starch it so the spatter bounces off. Works great for them. I'm right-handed, so I wear a TIG glove on my right hand and a stick glove on my left when stick welding.

If welding overhead, goggles over glasses and ear plugs. The sound of sizzling ear hair was enough to ensure I never leave 'em unplugged again. :eek:

For grinding, I use old welding helmets fitted with clear lenses. Cheaper than face shields and wrap around nicely.

TEK
04-30-2010, 11:50 PM
and ear plugs. The sound of sizzling ear hair was enough to ensure I never leave 'em unplugged again. :eek:

A hot one in the ear, while my hood/head was stuck under a car unable to move, is why I have an 80% hearing loss in my left ear.....

This is a very hard lesson to learn when you are 18-----like I did....

huh?...........wanna get used to saying that?....protect your hearing!...

ioman2
05-11-2010, 03:00 PM
if your not just bench welding consider wearing hearing protection or ear plugs... learned that the hard way. when i weld under my jeep i wear all the protection i can get. i have an apron that use to cover me when i know i'm going to get covered

i tack welded an exhaust last week while laying on my back in a t-shirt. human flesh smells like bacon when it burns....looks like someone put a cigarette out on my stomach.

craftsmanatlarg
05-12-2010, 07:37 PM
I have one of those green jackets that I use to mig and stick weld with, 2 things.

1. They are great when they are new, sparks mostly jump right off (unless in a crease or something).
2. Once you wash it you are going to get burned. Seems washing them takes the treatment out of the fabric and slag is atracted to it. Ouch.

Also found out the hard way about the frayed jeans, big rip down by ankle that frayed nicely with each wash until one day I was on the other knee welding a railing and smelled then felt something burning, my Business Partner laughed for day's after that dance.

Be smart with your PPE choices, we only get one set of body parts to use so use them wisely.

Rich

RLDSL
05-18-2010, 03:18 AM
I'm seriously considering some leather overalls after the dance number I did last week when my pants leg caught fire :eek: I;ve had pretty good luck with my cotton welding shirt, I wash it on the delecate cycle with very little detergent and no fabric softener, It gets the stink out but doesn't get all the grime off, but it has managed to keep it's flame retardance way past the 23 washings that you are supposed to be able to get out of those things.
I wish someone made a leather etc hood that would attach to my helmet to keep the light out and deflect sparks

Jonesy70
05-18-2010, 07:21 AM
I teach welding and proper PPE is essential...Stick and Mig welding, I require all of my students to wear leathers and Gloves...I recomment they wear beanies or hats of some kind but no baseball hats...Nylon and plastic meet real easy...I also make them wear safety glasses under their shields so that sparks have another barrier to get through before hitting your eyes
Yes, some students complain they they are hot or that their Glasses fog up...but these are things that you must deal with in industry...I have adopted a very simple modo for my class..."there is no job that is so important that it can't be done safely!!! I see and hear about people welding all of the time with no sleaves...but the #1 killer of welders in the trade is skin cancer!!! The UV rays, over time will cause melinomas and if untreated could and will eventually kill you!!!

usmcpop
05-18-2010, 08:23 AM
RLDSL, is this the dance? :D

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=31156&stc=1&d=1274188958

RLDSL
05-18-2010, 12:03 PM
RLDSL, is this the dance? :D

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=31156&stc=1&d=1274188958

Dang, I didn't know there was a hidden camera !:D

craftsmanatlarg
05-18-2010, 04:59 PM
I wish someone made a leather etc hood that would attach to my helmet to keep the light out and deflect sparks

Me too. The light in the shop always seems to reflect in the glass of the helmet regardless of which way I turn my head so I end up getting very close and get sprayed with sparks, some even bounce around in the helmet. That's great for concentration when you are following them with your eyes waiting to get burned.

Rich

usmcpop
05-18-2010, 05:15 PM
Here's a picture of an attached shield: http://www.radio-guy.net/images/toolpgfolder/tool2artfolder/welding_helmet.jpg

Pangea
05-18-2010, 08:29 PM
I have one of those green jackets that I use to mig and stick weld with, 2 things.

1. They are great when they are new, sparks mostly jump right off (unless in a crease or something).
2. Once you wash it you are going to get burned. Seems washing them takes the treatment out of the fabric and slag is atracted to it. Ouch.

Also found out the hard way about the frayed jeans, big rip down by ankle that frayed nicely with each wash until one day I was on the other knee welding a railing and smelled then felt something burning, my Business Partner laughed for day's after that dance.

Be smart with your PPE choices, we only get one set of body parts to use so use them wisely.

Rich

They work about 10 times better if you wet them down and wring them till they are damp before you put them on. Your sweat will maintain the dampness the rest of the day with that little head start.;)

homeless1972
05-23-2010, 11:09 PM
When I was younger, I got hit with it all! Sandy eyes, sun burn, you name it. Now, I wear whatever I can to protect myself. Sometimes I slide and immediately get reminded.
Three weeks ago I was welding under a car and decided not to wear my jacket cause the surface I was working on was filthy. (Washing your jacket removes the fire retardant chems.) Did wear a long sleeve shirt but an errant drop of filler metal gave me a really bad burn after it made its way through my sleeve.
Wear your equiment!

PaulChristenson
09-25-2010, 09:18 PM
MIG gloves, Long Sleeve FR shirt, Jeans, and work boots. I sunburn rather easy so I like to cover up the skin.

Like this?...:rolleyes::D

drizler
09-26-2010, 11:14 AM
Dress like the pros:

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=31031&stc=1&d=1272396303

I like that outfit. It reminds me of that silly 1930's serial about some hero who finds Atlantis. You probably remember the one sometime around the time of Crash Corrigan and Jungle Jim. Oh yea, the wife just reminded me it's called "The Undersea Kingdom" and I think it was Crash Corrigan who was in it. Anyways it looks like a member of that funny looking army in the gay outfits that was chasing him around with that goofy looking tank type vehicle. I gotta gets me one of those! It even has an escape hatch in the top.:cool:

ecenur
10-17-2010, 09:48 PM
So, what do you wear while MIG welding? Is a full leather jacket overkill? Which gloves? I see some videos with 18 in gloves, some "normal" size leather gloves, some no gloves at all. Levis, chaps...

I want to dress properly but not overkill.

I wear mig welding gloves, work boots, normal pants & a normal jacket. I think it all depends on the person.

cncmachininst
10-21-2010, 12:07 AM
average welding or daily wear is steelcaps (redwing), levis, a well broken in leather welding jacket that i wear as a regular jacket too, and the mask , free HAAS hat that came with the machinery

and only tig gloves for mig unless running some big project

Steve from Ohio
10-28-2010, 09:57 PM
I have been welding for over 35 years. In those years, I have decided that the last burn was the last burn and that was about 20 years ago.

A little over 20 years ago, I was seriously burned on my arm from a hot blob of metal from what I was cutting off of an old Jeep. I still have that scar and it reminds me to wear the right protective gear whenever I use welding equipment.

I went out and bought a good leather welding coat, a good set of welding gloves and a welding apron. Since I got those, I have never been burned from a spark or hot piece of metal. I don't care how hot it is. I wear my leather. And of course I always wear a face shield and or goggles. The best auto darkening helmet I have found so far is the Northern Tool auto darkening helmet. It was on sale for $42.00. I've owned several auto helmets and this one is a great one for the price.

RLDSL
10-28-2010, 10:42 PM
Me too. The light in the shop always seems to reflect in the glass of the helmet regardless of which way I turn my head so I end up getting very close and get sprayed with sparks, some even bounce around in the helmet. That's great for concentration when you are following them with your eyes waiting to get burned.

Rich

I actually found something recently that works rather well. Local Airgas supply had these little leather skirts that use stick on velcro to attach to the bottom of the helmet to keep sparks off your neck, another one stuck to the top keeps the light pretty well out of the inside of teh thing when working out in the sun, and shed exrta sparks when working overhead, and it's short enough to flip over teh front without getting in the lense when not needed to keep from getting too hot.

Eugenius76
11-01-2010, 12:00 AM
I learned my lesson real quick. Was welding an exhaust pipe on my 91 chev truck. Had to cut to change trans. Thought I would just git under and weld. Ha! NO! BURN. Called everyone I knew and asked 4 an old leather jacket. No dice. So I went and bought Hobart leather welding coat. Best investment so far. Sweat like crazy, but take break drink beer, it b ok. :)