PDA

View Full Version : The best MIG welder for a beginner

patroll
02-28-2010, 10:42 PM
Whats the best Mig welder for a car restorer,that don't have very much experience?I know the argon keeps the metal cooled to help prevent warpage.But maybe something that could weld a trailer to in the future.I guess I would want between a 22 ga. to 10 ga. not real sure what gauge metal trailers are made from.Any help or ideas? Thanks for any help.

Timberwolf
02-28-2010, 11:03 PM
argon is an inert gas that shields the weld from the atmosphere. Not to cool the weld. Most trailers are going to be 1/4"+

patroll
03-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Proberly what I need most is a mig welder for sheet metal on a cars with 16 ga. metal.Whats the best mig welder for a beginner,for doing body work?

theguapo
03-01-2010, 08:53 AM
if portability and cost is not an issue then the bigger the better. you can always turn your voltage down to suit your needs for thinner material and if you ever need to melt something thick then your all set.

Hotfoot
03-01-2010, 09:04 AM
A top rated sheet metal machine is the HH140. Its also a 110 volt machine. There are plenty of others that do very well on sheet metal, but this puts you in the game for under $500.00.

Tool king reconditioned units have had good comments on this forum...

http://www.toolking.com/hobart-500500a-factory-reconditioned-handler-140-mig-flux-cored-welder-a-stock

...and for about $60.00 more Northern has the unit new...and you may beat that by shopping the net. Be sure to figure shipping into your price. I know Indiana Oxygen Supply ships free (I bought a Plasma Cutter and a MIG from them..incredible shipping speed). Shop around! Check Craigslist in nearby towns.

If you want a unit that's going to do thicker steel as well, then a 220 volt setup (be sure to figure wiring the shop in addition to the machine) is going to be needed...(Look at the HH187 and the HH210...both will do your sheet metal as well as the heavier stuff)....or...

Buy a used "Buzz Box" Stick Welder (will be 220 volt) for about $100.00. Use the HH140 for everything up to 3/16", and the stick welder for the thicker stuff.

SundownIII
03-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Since you didn't mention any budget constraints, the Miller MM350P would cover all your bases pretty well.:D

That way, you'll have plenty of machine for when you start building trailers.:rolleyes:

taylorkh
03-01-2010, 03:33 PM
The best machine is the one which you might (as a tax payer) already own. Does you local community college have a welding program? If so, I would recommend investing a few $ and a few hours to take a course there. Especially if they have a "continuing education" course. You will get to try a number of different machines and get a feel for what capabilities they have.

I purchased a Hobart Handler 180 several years ago BEFORE taking the MIG course. While I have not regretted the purchase I might have done things a little differently such as not wasting money on a too small tank of shielding gas.

Ken

Sberry
03-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Getting the largest gas bottle you can is sound advise for sure, so is getting enough machine. I always go for something that runs from 240.

1968c10
03-01-2010, 04:14 PM
I've got the HH210 and have been welding patch panels on my 68 Chevy truck with no problem, plus I can weld thicker metal when I need to with no problem.
When funds allow I'm going to buy the optional spoolgun so I can do a little aluminum welding.:)

fjk
03-01-2010, 04:36 PM
First, I'd second Taylorkh's advice. Take an adult ed, or similar,
course. You'll get a chance to work with different machines and
processes and you'll have someone right there saying "no, don't
do that, do this".

That said, if you want portability, plus a bit more oomph, you
could try the MillerMatic 211. It can run off of both
120vac and 240vac. It's got some decent reviews on
the MIller board. The downside is that it costs more
and is heavier than a HH140 (or MM140) class machine.

Frank