PDA

View Full Version : C-4015 Roughneck on MM251

Aaron
11-05-2003, 09:51 AM
Question for all you wise, all-knowing welding gurus: :D

Can I use the Miller Roughneck C4015 400A gun with my MM251? If so, what modifications are necessary?

I assume there are differences in consummables. Is this correct?

Or would I be better off just getting a M-40 gun, which I understand to use the same consummables as the M-25 I have now?

I just want a gun that isn't going to melt down under heavy use.

Gary Patton
11-05-2003, 10:15 AM
Aaron, We sell Miller at the store I work in, and when most people look at the new Roughneck gun, they usually think it's too big and Bulky. The parts are a little higher priced, but then again, they are heavy duty. I only have one customer that has one, and I haven't seen him for some time now. As far as the M-40 gun is concerned, I have no experience with it, but I see it takes the same consumables as the M-25 gun your machine came with. I, myself, have had good luck with the M-25. Also, a Tweco Spray-Master with a Miller rear-end will run just under $200, and you may like it better.

Scott V
11-05-2003, 11:28 AM
Aaron,have you tried Bobs out?It is a oxo gun,and it hooks right up.I compared it to the M-25,and it is really only a little bigger.It is much nicer than a M-25.

Hobart Expert Rock
11-05-2003, 11:29 AM
AARON........straight hook up...............no modifications........... Enjoy..............hey what is your first project going to be..........

See ya.....................Rock..:cool:
SSCOTT@MILLERWELDS.COM

Aaron
11-05-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Scott V
Aaron,have you tried Bobs out?It is a oxo gun,and it hooks right up.I compared it to the M-25,and it is really only a little bigger.It is much nicer than a M-25.

I have not had a chance to get up to Bob's place in a while, but I understand he's switched to the Roughneck gun.

I didn't think it was that much bulkier, but it's been a while since I've seen it. I have a line on one, but the M-40 would be nice as it uses the same consumables. I just got off the phone with my rep, and I'd be in for about $350 for a 12' M-40. Ouch. I think I can get a better price on a Roughneck. :(

I was running aluminum and stainless in spray last night, just trying things out, and I found that the M-25 gets pretty hot quick. I can't see running spray on the factory gun.

Scott V
11-05-2003, 01:24 PM
Aaron,not to rub it in too much,but Bob's brand new gun was $75.00! I not only get deals on Esabs,you know.:eek:

Aaron
11-05-2003, 01:31 PM
I'll paypal you the money today for that price! :D

If I remember, it was a "one of a kind" deal. :(

Scott V
11-05-2003, 01:45 PM
Aaron,at the time they had three of them.I never thought I would know three people with 251 Millermatics!!!:D Besides those guns only fit Miller feeders,and I was looking for Tweeco which fit (Esab,Lincoln,Thermal-arc)Tell me what is wrong with that picture?:p

Aaron
11-05-2003, 01:48 PM
Sounds like you have the wrong welders.... :D :D

Scott V
11-05-2003, 01:53 PM
Aaron,include my Hobart feeder in the list also.:D

Aaron
11-05-2003, 01:55 PM
What would a reasonable price be for the Roughneck 400A 15' (C-4015) be if someone found it on an internet auction site, like maybe eBay? :eek: :D

Hobart Expert Rock
11-05-2003, 01:55 PM
SCOTTV...............We have Tweco no.2,3.4,5 adapters.....also a machine adapter kit 199664 to fit ln-7,ln8,ln9,ln22,ln25,ln742....

will fit the roughneck gun...............for the folks with red...........................Enjoy the site.........Rock..:cool:
SSCOTT@MILLERWELDS.COM

199663 Will allow you to put the roughneck gun onto the old 2000 series feeder you have.............In stock at Miller Electric...........See ya..........................Rock..:cool:
SSCOTT@MILLERWELDS.COM

Aaron
11-05-2003, 01:58 PM
Hey Rock, need any testing done on a high-amperage MIG gun? :D

Scott V
11-05-2003, 02:02 PM
Rock I have a Tweeco to Miller adpapter myself.You never know?
Aaron,I think I have a Extra Bernard 350 amp gun you can have.It only needs the two pin plug.I check it out if you want it.I think it's 12 ft if I remember?

Hobart Expert Rock
11-05-2003, 02:12 PM
HI AARON.............Na if I did I would shoot you one..........But they've been out for awhile....................Be safe...........Rock..:cool:
SSCOTT@MILLERWELDS.COM

Aaron
11-05-2003, 02:13 PM
SOLD to the biddless bidder!

All I need it to know what I have to do to make it work, and how much I need to pay you for it. Do you still have my email addy?

Aaron
11-05-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Hobart Expert Rock
HI AARON.............Na if I did I would shoot you one..........But they've been out for awhile....................Be safe...........Rock..:cool:
SSCOTT@MILLERWELDS.COM

Thanks anyway, ROCK. You're still the man in my book. ;) :D

I'm certain there will be lot's of opportunities. :D LOL! :D

Scott V
11-05-2003, 02:25 PM
Aaron,It will need the adapter(which I got),and the two pin plug that your operates the contactor.I will dig up everything I have,and get back to you.I will send you some tips also.

Binsel,has the best deal on mig guns anywhere.$140 or so for a super nice 350 amp setup.In fact that will be my next gun.

Aaron
11-05-2003, 02:30 PM
Perhaps ROCK can be helpful here..... :D

Scott V
11-05-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Aaron
Perhaps ROCK can be helpful here..... :D

Aaron,I think you need to sign up for a test site for two pin plugs.Hey the Benard is a ITW company!

I looked at the gun again,it is a 15ft 350 amp standard Benard gun.It has a new liner,and complete front end.The tips slide in,and out for spray/short-arc.

Aaron,send me you address of your work again(cheaper shipping)I will get it out as soon as I can get away.

Aaron
11-05-2003, 02:54 PM
He's keeping quite on that, isn't he...... :D

Hobart Expert Rock
11-05-2003, 03:02 PM
SCOTTV...........Benard is ITW..........Binsel is not...........Miller Electric handles Bernard q150,q200,q300,q400,q500........

Enjoy the site................Rock..:cool:
SSCOTT@MILLERWELDS.COM

Scott V
11-05-2003, 03:10 PM
Rock,I figured that out by looking at the prices!:D

Aaron
11-05-2003, 03:10 PM
ROCK,

Can you hook us up with the plug for the MM251 contactor?

Hobart Expert Rock
11-05-2003, 03:21 PM
Hey guys I don't have one but ...........

I think if you call Mikeg at Light Industrial he proabably has one laying around he can just send you.................1-920-831-4898...

Tell him he's missing the buffalo hunt.................See ya.......Rock..:cool:
SSCOTT@MILLERWELDS.COM

Aaron
11-05-2003, 03:31 PM
Scott,

That number got me straight to MikeG. He needs some info on the gun you have to pinpoint exactly what I need to hook it up. Can you call him?

Thanks!

Thanks also to ROCK!

Scott V
11-05-2003, 04:01 PM
Aaron,It has two wires hanging out the back,and if you get a plug just like the one on the M-25 factory gun on your 251 it will work.I think they have used that same plug for about 1000 years!!!!I don't know what else to tell you?Just get a two piece plug,and solder the two wires to the pins.:confused:

Aaron
11-05-2003, 04:03 PM
I think Mike was trying to get me an adapter plug. Sorry. I'll call him again tomorrow.

Aaron
11-06-2003, 08:52 AM
Well, I called again this morning and talked to Doug. He gave me the part #180433 for the plug. I'll order one today, as I have to stop by my distributor anyway.

Funny thing happened last night, Scott. Seems I happened upon a new Miller C-4015 400A Roughneck for about $160. :D I had bid on it earlier in the day, but didn't think I could actually get it for that price. I found out about 10 minutes after I got your email. I guess now I have a spare (or make that two spares). :D

deere_x475guy
11-10-2003, 12:49 PM
Scott, I will probably be using that Roughneck this weekend. I just bought a new larger lathe and need to get a stand together. Won't be picking it up till after deer season problaby so I have a few weeks to rearrange the shop to make room and build the table.

And yes...pics will be posted..:)

Bob.

widetrackman
11-11-2003, 01:07 AM
Well, I called again this morning and talked to Doug. He gave me the part #180433 for the plug. I'll order one today, as I have to stop by my distributor anyway.

Funny thing happened last night, Scott. Seems I happened upon a new Miller C-4015 400A Roughneck for about $160. :D I had bid on it earlier in the day, but didn't think I could actually get it for that price. I found out about 10 minutes after I got your email. I guess now I have a spare (or make that two spares). :D Hey Aaron , did you get the Miller gun ? I think I was bidding on the same one. However, I noticed after close of auction that item was re-listed. If you didnt I think I know whats going on. WTM

Aaron
11-12-2003, 08:27 AM
WTM,

I have not received the unit yet, but I have a tracking number. According to FedEx's site, I should receive the unit Friday. I will let you know once I get the unit what condition it is in, etc. The seller told me they purchased several units on clearance, and decided to sell a few to pay for theirs. They are relisting the auction to keep from retyping all the info. At least that is what I was told....... I will keep you informed.

widetrackman
11-13-2003, 02:07 AM
WTM,

I have not received the unit yet, but I have a tracking number. According to FedEx's site, I should receive the unit Friday. I will let you know once I get the unit what condition it is in, etc. The seller told me they purchased several units on clearance, and decided to sell a few to pay for theirs. They are relisting the auction to keep from retyping all the info. At least that is what I was told....... I will keep you informed. Aaron, I guest that explains the relisting. I though maybe he was stopping the auction at the last few seconds as it wasnt going to bring what he wanted. He's had at least one a week for the last 2 mo.s ( went too high for me). But low and behold, last night I got a new c-4015 for $150 from another guy (looks like we both got good deals if they deliver). Cant wait to spray with it, had to stop using my M25 w/ 90/10. I'm goin try some 84/16 when I get the gun. Keep us all informed of your spray escapades:) WTM

Aaron
11-13-2003, 06:02 AM
I've been doing a fair amount of spray using 98-2, but I am being careful. The gun gets pretty warm pretty quick.

I've already picked up some consumables for the roughneck. Remarkably, they are priced almost identical to the consumables for the M25. That was good news!

I should receive the Benard from Scott today, and my Roughneck tomorrow. :D It should be a good start to a good weekend.

Dan
11-13-2003, 10:49 AM
I've been doing a fair amount of spray using 98-2, but I am being careful. The gun gets pretty warm pretty quick.

I've already picked up some consumables for the roughneck. Remarkably, they are priced almost identical to the consumables for the M25. That was good news!

I should receive the Benard from Scott today, and my Roughneck tomorrow. :D It should be a good start to a good weekend.

Hey Aaron

I was just wondering what material thickness you were/are spray arcing on, and what machine settings the MM 251 runs at to produce spray on this material?

Also, where are the pictures of some of these welds. :D

Aaron
11-13-2003, 10:58 AM
Dan,

I have been spray welding on 1/4" to 1/2". As far as settings, I pretty much just use the settings on the Miller Calculator. I usually get the best results using the lower end of the voltage range and the upper end of the wirespeed range. But as in short-circuit, it has a wide sweet-spot.

I have not been taking photos, as these are practice welds. :D Some look pretty good, some not-so-good. :D I will post some photos soon, as my kart I've been working on all summer is near completion. We took it out for a day, and it worked well. I have since added a homemade steering gearbox, and I am reworking the tie-rods to match.

Aaron
11-14-2003, 12:24 PM
Received my new-used :D Bernard gun yesterday, and today Fedex delivered my new 400A Roughneck. Should be some sparks at my house this weekend....:D

The Roughneck is obviously brand new, and even still has the zipties holding it in a loop. The gun is pretty impressive. It is visibly much heavier than the M25 that came with my MM251. I am anxious to install it and try it out.

Hobart Expert Rock
11-14-2003, 12:33 PM
AARON........If you get a chance post pictures useing both guns.....

Also..........Enjoy yourself..............and by golly have some fun with it...................Rock..:cool:
SSCOTT@MILLERWELDS.COM

Aaron
11-14-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Hobart Expert Rock
AARON........If you get a chance post pictures useing both guns.....

Also..........Enjoy yourself..............and by golly have some fun with it...................Rock..:cool:
SSCOTT@MILLERWELDS.COM

ROCK,

You of all people should know I have been having fun ever since I picked up my first MIG gun years ago. But I will admit, this last month or so has been pretty good to me, too. ;)

I don't think I have ever heard the cooling fan on my MM251. Are you sure it's working? :D This has to be one of the quietest machines I've ever seen.

Oh, and one more thing, ROCK. Ask ScottyV what the delivery guy brought him (I assume he has received it by now). I'm not sure if he'll like it or not..... :D

RawkRash
11-14-2003, 02:20 PM
When welding 1/8 inch thick stuff I have to run quite a bit of wire before the fan comes on on my MM251. On some 1/2" stuff I was doing the other day, it came on quite a bit quicker. Never runs for long. It sounds like it moves a lot of air.

I need to get into some bigger projects so I can use it more. It makes short work of the stuff I've been doing. Trussing an axle housing, making a 13ft long craft table for my wife, fabbing rocker panel protectors for my neighbor's Cherokee, etc.

Seems like before I had this machine and I was using the old buzz-box, the welding used to be a large part of a project. now the cutting and fitting is the large part and the welding is over before I know it.;)

Scott V
11-15-2003, 02:39 AM
Aaron,would it be a esab Hat?I hear they are nicer than Millers!
:D

Aaron
11-15-2003, 08:50 AM
Never talked to any Esab rep, so I couldn't really say if they are nicer than Miller's reps. :D I kinda doubt it. :D

But I can promise you it is not an Esab hat. :D:D:D

Scott V
11-15-2003, 11:53 AM
Aaron,I have talked to both reps.The esab rep here is just like their mig welders.Much meaner,and tougher.The Miller guy is way more mellow.Both are good guys though.The Lincoln rep falls somewhere in the middle.:D

Jim
11-15-2003, 05:16 PM

ROCK,

You of all people should know I have been having fun ever since I picked up my first MIG gun years ago. But I will admit, this last month or so has been pretty good to me, too. ;)

I don't think I have ever heard the cooling fan on my MM251. Are you sure it's working? :D This has to be one of the quietest machines I've ever seen.

Oh, and one more thing, ROCK. Ask ScottyV what the delivery guy brought him (I assume he has received it by now). I'm not sure if he'll like it or not..... :D

Arong could yu please give me informatin on how to find a mig.fcaw torch on ebay. I tried and coun't find a page on torches. Thanks Jim

Paychk
11-15-2003, 06:18 PM
Try this, I don't think there is a specific page for just that type of item. They can be listed any any number of catagories.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2 F&krd=1&from=R8&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=mig+gun

Jim
11-16-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Paychk
Try this, I don't think there is a specific page for just that type of item. They can be listed any any number of catagories.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2 F&krd=1&from=R8&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=mig+gun Thanks for the information Jim

Hobart Expert Rock
11-17-2003, 02:18 PM
SCOTTV.............What did the delivery guy bring you...........

Aaron.................Well did you get a chance to try the new guns...?

Let us know gents,........................Rock..:cool:
SSCOTT@MILLERWELDS.COM

Aaron
11-17-2003, 02:34 PM
ROCK,

I didn't get time to play this weekend, unfortunatly. I am bummed, too. My wife had other plans for me that didn't require welding skills. I am in the middle of a woodworking project, and she is anxious for it to be completed. So guess where my time is going....... :D

Scott V
11-17-2003, 02:53 PM
Rock,nothing yet,but Knowing Aaron,I have no idea what it is?:D

Aaron
11-17-2003, 02:58 PM
I've got a call in to my "vendor" to find out where your special delivery is... :D

I'm hoping the shouting when you finally receive it is do to joy and not outrage. :D

Scott V
11-17-2003, 03:02 PM
Aaron,as long as it is not blue.
:eek:

Aaron
11-17-2003, 03:11 PM
No fear, my friend. It's not blue.... :D