PDA

View Full Version : Brick Welding Table

TonyC
11-01-2003, 12:37 AM
Has anyone ever seen a welding table with the top lined with fire brick instead of steel? I swear I've seen it before but I can't remember where. Is this a good idea for any reason, or any sprecific purpose?

Franz
11-01-2003, 12:44 AM
Excellent for gas welding, and also a good place to preheat weldments prior to welding with electric processes.

Gumby
11-01-2003, 07:33 AM
Yep...I've seen plans for one. Kinda small as I recall, but on two wheels to be moved. I think I saw it in an old Popular Science or Popular Mechanics from the 50's or 60's (we used to pour over the old issues a neighbor gave us when we were kids). I was actually going to build one like it, and then saw more examples (like those posted on this website), so I went for a steel top.

Shiva69
11-01-2003, 07:34 PM
I used one that was setup for 8 stations when i took my intro to welding class several years ago. It was a setup for doing gas welding.

If i was going to be doing alot of aluminum gas welding. or alot of gas sheetmetal work i would look into it.

But it isn't going to stay flat and true as easily at a metal table will.

but if your doing gas alot a small brick table might work well.

Garth

bigolguy
11-01-2003, 09:08 PM
brick table tops are good so they dont attract heat and suck it in..good welds

Roger
11-01-2003, 11:18 PM
High school welding class used tables with 1/2 of table top brick and other 1/2 steel grate for O/A cutting and welding. They were ok.

Northweldor
11-02-2003, 05:35 AM
As has already been mentioned, unless you are going to do a lot of pre-heating of small parts, the refractory brick top is not a good idea. It is high maintenance, as bricks get broken and deteriorate through time, reflects heat back at the weld (and you) if used as a support for welding, can contaminate weld, and is also far less useful for tacking and fit-up than an easily resurfaced metal top, especially if you are using any arc process. Finally, a table that will take almost no impact is not practical in most shops, except for very special purposes.

Thomas Harris
11-02-2003, 10:02 AM
I would get grumpy if not allowed to beat the &%%& out of my workbench surface from time to time. If you need to heat somthing just lay some firebrick on the metal table temporarily.

bigolguy
11-05-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Northweldor
As has already been mentioned, unless you are going to do a lot of pre-heating of small parts, the refractory brick top is not a good idea. It is high maintenance, as bricks get broken and deteriorate through time, reflects heat back at the weld (and you) if used as a support for welding, can contaminate weld, and is also far less useful for tacking and fit-up than an easily resurfaced metal top, especially if you are using any arc process. Finally, a table that will take almost no impact is not practical in most shops, except for very special purposes.

You don't beat the brick table because that's just plain silly and a waste of money for the bricks.Tony,it will work great because I've never had to "maintenance"..heh.....the brick table or clean any mess because the bricks seldomly crack and if i wanted to beat the living crap out of a piece of iron or was to heat and hit it till it bends i would get a anvil or clamp to a vise.

now come on guy you don't just go around hitting a brick table much less hitting bricks of any kind.....Firebricks are superior for gas welding and for any other kind of welding process because it will look embarassing with pieces of steel welded to your table and it will ruin the paint.

My strong $0.02

And I personally recommend two tables for welding on and one for other stuff(beating etc..)

Thanks