PDA

View Full Version : Does welding drunk really make you better

legend
06-30-2009, 07:48 PM
I heard from guys that built 60x30 sheds that said alcohol helps out with welding.By the way im about to build a 100x60 metal building for a customer.I got the tractor ready.the skylift ready,transit ready,levels and booms etc.

Id just like to hear some opinions because in the past 30 years of welding it helped me out quite a bit.No more shaking when making beads with 6011.you know etc

Thanks

Hotfoot
06-30-2009, 07:56 PM
When I was drinker, I got shaky if I hadn't had a drink recently. A six pack would "Smooth me Out"...but since I stopped, I am "smooth" all the time. The shakes got to be pretty bad.:o

crawler
06-30-2009, 08:04 PM
That is like some golfers that say drinking helps with their swing. However, their golf game rapidly declines after a few cans.

BillyP
06-30-2009, 08:30 PM
Shoot, if sober a simple task can sometimes take me hours. But let me get a few six packs down and I'd probably not have a problem of just welding up that split gas tank while it's half full:eek: Much more efficient when booze has settled the nerves:D

Pangea
06-30-2009, 08:44 PM
You guys need to seek help. Maybe a 12 step program. :D

I have never welded while drinking or after drinking so I can't say either way. A welding shop is no place for alcohol in my opinion. Work and drinking don't mix just like guns and drinking don't mix.

mrandrei
06-30-2009, 10:07 PM
I haven't tried welding while I'm drunk. I think I wouldn't be able to perform well if I have some alcohol in my system. I'm always tipsy when I'm drunk.

ptsideshow
06-30-2009, 10:10 PM
You guys need to seek help. Maybe a 12 step program. :D

I have never welded while drinking or after drinking so I can't say either way. A welding shop is no place for alcohol in my opinion. Work and drinking don't mix just like guns and drinking don't mix.

Neither is a tractor, skylift, and boom equipment. If I was the customer and You showed up drunk, or drinking on the job, or smelled booze, you would be gone and off the job faster than you could pop a top!
As been said drinking and tools and equipment don't mix.

Alcohol is involved in 40% of industrial fatalities and 50% of industrial accidents. • The accident rate among employees with a drinking or drug problem is 4 to 6 times higher than non abusers.

http://books.google.com/books?id=lr2nD6OXCLUC&pg=PA10&lpg=PA10&dq=alcohol+related+industrial+accidents&source=bl&ots=hUrN8Oq0Gd&sig=id2Yen0m1qLPc-mLZ61xl7B-8OI&hl=en&ei=vNJKSv7qGY3QM7yYwZYB&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4
Is the link if you care to read more.

Rocky D
06-30-2009, 10:46 PM
I haven't had a drink in 35 years, but when I was drinking, I found it made me stupider. The first drink destroys braincells that can never ne replaced, and if you are a drinker, ya don't have any to spare! :eek: :D

MJL
07-01-2009, 12:07 AM
I haven't had a drink in 35 years, but when I was drinking, I found it made me stupider. The first drink destroys braincells that can never ne replaced, and if you are a drinker, ya don't have any to spare! :eek: :D

I occasionally drink when in the laboratory. (garage) I won't say that beer helps calm or soothe, but if you have an over active brain like mine it can help slow things down so I can think better.

I did find that drinking a beer while bowling makes my score higher. Just one, any more than that and I bowl terrible. I think the one helps me to stay focused.

vicegrip
07-01-2009, 04:25 AM
A welding shop is no place for alcohol in my opinion. Work and drinking don't mix just like guns and drinking don't mix.

, but if you have an over active brain like mine it can help slow things down so I can think better.

I did find that drinking a beer while bowling makes my score higher. Just one, any more than that and I bowl terrible. I think the one helps me to stay focused.

I think it is important here to separate Stigma from Science.
I'm like MLJ, but the opposite, My mind goes way-deep, and sluggish
I beleive from decades of tool-making, (high-end Gage-making).
Just the right amount turns the contrast nob down, I can type faster
and almost error free. Weld better, And on private property I can prove
I'm even a better shot after a shot.

Scientificly, it's a simple matter, like running a CNC path into G-code
with the tollerance backed off, your mill will contour like a race-car.

As far as responcibillity OBVIOUSLY most conditions warant
maturity / morallity / mental soundness, etc etc.
And a good example for the apprentices.

fjk
07-01-2009, 06:27 AM
A small amount of alcohol can 'steady the nerves' a bit.
It can also impair judgement, slow reactions, reduce
the critical eye with which you might look at a situation,
and so on.

So you might lay a truer bead, but you might also decide
that the 90a fluxcore ronco combination welder-vegetable-peeler
is just fine for welding 3" nuclear pressure vessels in one pass....

frank

vicegrip
07-01-2009, 06:49 AM
A small amount of alcohol can 'steady the nerves' a bit.
It can also impair judgement, slow reactions, reduce
the critical eye with which you might look at a situation,
and so on.

So you might lay a truer bead, but you might also decide
that the 90a fluxcore ronco combination welder-vegetable-peeler
is just fine for welding 3" nuclear pressure vessels in one pass....

frank
That's a cool way to state it.
I have a 4 foot long copy of the famous picture of the men
taking a brake on a girder up above new York City.
I hadn't ever before noticed the whisky bottle in the left hand
of the man on the end. My fahter-in-law told me
that was part of the regiment, and in some cases manditory.
http://www.teamtruthiness.org/images/photos_pg6/men_on_girder.jpg
How many young ladys over the centurys "got into trouble"
that they would normally not have, with-out haveing their
inhibitions / better judgement disolved in advance?

vg

Bob the Welder
07-01-2009, 07:51 AM
There's a time and place for everything and welding and using tools is not the time or place for drinking.:eek:

I like a cold one as well as anyone but I enjoy mine after the job is done.

Old Sporty
07-01-2009, 07:53 AM
There's a time and place for everything and welding and using tools is not the time or place for drinking.:eek:

I like a cold one as well as anyone but I enjoy mine after the job is done.

Truer words were never spoken. I don't drink alcohol but if I did, it certainly wouldn't be when I was trying to work on anything.

JimDon
07-01-2009, 08:15 AM
If the booze comes out, the tools are put away. Won't even work with my neighbors on a project if they are using alcohol. Was working with one once and he slipped on a deck and tore his toenail off after having a few. That was it for me. (Also showed that BOOTS, not sneakers or flip flops are needed when working.) Be safe out there!
Cheers,
Jim Don

obewan
07-01-2009, 11:56 AM
If an employee of mine tried to work while drunk, they would get three days off without pay. If they did it again, they would be terminated.

However, I will say that I have seen alcohol at some interesting workplaces.
I used to work in the Naval Nuke program. We had DOE/DOD security clearances. They strictly monitored alcohol and drug use, and alcohol was forbidden in our workplace. You could lose your clearance for bringing it to work. However, our contract administrator (Knolls Atomic Power Lab) in charge of design and all quality and security issues served beer in the cafeteria at lunch inside a secure secret government facility. They would have a few drinks at noon and go out to play bocce ball on the green quad between buildings. These were the guys in charge of your reactors for aircraft carriers and submarines!

That said, we were allowed to have a beer with our pizza or a glass of wine with our lunch outside our facility. They used to call it an attitude adjustment lunch, but I usually just had a coke.

bobad
07-01-2009, 12:14 PM
I have no idea whether I can weld better drunk than sober. It never occurred to me to try welding while sober.

fjk
07-01-2009, 12:23 PM
http://www.teamtruthiness.org/images/photos_pg6/men_on_girder.jpg
vg

cool picture -- i always liked it

given the liquor, and the not-hard-hats, and the safety-non-belts
and the safety-non-nets and .... i think that it's fair to say that they
had a different attitude towards workplace safety in those days!

frank

vicegrip
07-01-2009, 12:30 PM
If an employee of mine tried to work while drunk, they would get three days off without pay. If they did it again, they would be terminated.

Narrow minds never disceminate with accuracy.
This is like the absolutely stupid saying "It's the unloaded gun that kills".
When trying to teach Kids gun-safety.

If I was the boss.......and an employee punched in "Drunk".
I'd fire him on the spot!! .

I have hired out welding to many awsome proffesional welders
going back to 1984. A pretty high %-age of them are addmitted
Alcoholics of varing degrees.

I saw with my own eyes a set of 8" counter-rotating props
get saved on a 4th of July weeked. Every-one involved
knew each other, and had had a few.
I can't think of an aluminum salvage job that was ever prettier.
EVER, and the comradery....Tops as well.

Hard-line employment needs to be purely substance-FREE.
But inteligent minds can still explore the evidence, of what
a moderate affect of alcohol does to skilled motor functions.

VG

bobad
07-01-2009, 01:07 PM
A good welder always keeps a flask handy for medicinal purposes in case he gets bitten by a snake... which he also keeps handy.

All kidding aside, I'm a T-totaler. It's fine to have a beer, but only after work. And have 1, not 2.

Zrexxer
07-01-2009, 01:32 PM
All kidding aside, I'm a T-totaler. It's fine to have a beer, but only after work. And have 1, not 2.You can't have it both ways :p

A teetotaler is one who abstains completely from consuming any alcohol whatsoever.

Bob
07-01-2009, 02:42 PM
"Does welding drunk really make you better ?"

Sound like a great topic for some in depth research.

Bob:D

gde
07-01-2009, 03:03 PM
This is a funny topic IMO. I feel that I can sometimes think a bit better and focus with a nice LARGE glass of wine:D This is actually when most of my better ideas are put on paper and later come to fruition.
With regards to actual welding, I have NEVER welded after tying one on, but I imagine I might actually focus a little more similar to when I am drawing up projects, etc.
I really think alcohol has it's place and it is not in a shop. I have a machine shop as well and I would NEVER even consider turing a switch "ON" with even a smidge of booze in my system!! A little shock is MUCH easier to deal with than having your body parts removed in the blink of an eye or worse!:eek:

Blacksmith
07-01-2009, 03:05 PM
cool picture -- i always liked it

given the liquor, and the not-hard-hats, and the safety-non-belts
and the safety-non-nets and .... i think that it's fair to say that they
had a different attitude towards workplace safety in those days!

frank

When they started the Empire State Building in the '20's, it was excepted that skyscrapers cost one man's life per floor; however the contractors instituted several safety initiatives and reduced that to something like 17 deaths for all 102 stories.

wagonman76
07-01-2009, 07:10 PM
You might try and see how it affects your welding at home after a few, that's your own dime. But with a paying customer I'd hate to wonder what would happen if something bad happened on the job and they found you had been drinking. Might be a heck of a lawsuit.

DJM1972
07-01-2009, 08:39 PM
I herd anything under 3 beers is a stimulant anything over is a depressant. Just remember it takes 1 beer per hour to wear off. I'm Roofing right now and when I come home every day I have to have a couple but that’s it.
I would only want to drink and weld at home. As soon as you go on a job site everything starts to get paranoid.

vicegrip
07-02-2009, 05:15 AM
Is how it separates the two camps.

The thinkers, that can look at a situation or a condition
and brake it down, and examine it. Evaluation, in other-words.

And the thunkers, the litmus-brained types. That only classify.
Right / wrong, on / off, black / white, etc. etc.
Mentally lazy or mentally afraid, either way unable to make a call
on reason, rather than using a sort of "intellectual snap-gage".

VG

Incidently 11 guys and none overweight. (In the picture).
11 guys and none with glasses, (corrective glasses).
Age range seems rather regular though.
Interesting.......

larrybud
11-11-2009, 02:59 PM
I realize this thread is old, buy hey, I'm new here.

Someone mentioned beer and golf. One of the golf magazines actually put the beer factor to some tests. In the end, they found only driving the ball got better (to a point), however, anything else (such as putting) declined as the beer consumption went up. IOW, anything which required some thought got worse.

And everything got worse at a certain point in the "test".

Hotfoot
11-11-2009, 05:42 PM
...but looking back on it...The girls were always cuter when I was drinking...I love Willie's lyrics..

"I went to sleep with a ten
and woke up with a two"

:p

calweld
11-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Yeah, but Willie was known to imbimbe more that was good for him, also.:rolleyes:

MadMax
11-11-2009, 08:07 PM
How does it go, perception is reality?

Go to a college party and you'll hear everyone saying they need to get drunk to be good in the infamous game of beer pong. Nobody knows they're stumbling until they walk into something. At the same rate, having a case of coldies off to the side when working on a car/bike/project will often keep your helping hands around a bit longer :p

-Max

Broccoli1
11-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Max!!

d*amn you gotta be an old man now:):) Good to see yer still around.

vicegrip
11-12-2009, 02:56 AM
Been "N/A" for three weeks, voluntarilly.
No difference in much of anything accept mental allertness,
and changing my focuss for down-time.

Still, there is no arguing, that for many folks the effect / effects
of small amounts of alcohol can have a positive outcome,
on one's motor-skills. There is a good paralell to this in CNC machining.
The servo's (sevrodrives) can be tuned "too tight". ?? Gain, is the term
I think the techs say. They back it off a tad and the axis settles down
and moves to perfection. Some of us are that way with our use of
our extremities. A little alochol, is about the only way I can hold a rifle
steady enough to shoot really well standing and unsupported,
at a fixed target. Inversely rapid fire at moving targets, and my sevro's
tuned too tight as they always are, are hard to beat. Dead-sober!

Would I want to be at a public range, with open use of alcohol?
I think not.

vg

MadMax
11-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Max!!

d*amn you gotta be an old man now:):) Good to see yer still around.

Well, technically still not old enough to participate in a conversation like this, but give it about 2 more months ;)

I figured I'd peak in and see how everything was going, with the optempo somewhat slowing down around our battalion and my enlistment on the later half I've been thinking about where my life will be headed soon. Naturally, I've found myself poking around on here, pirate4x4 shopbuilds, and craigslist looking for projects, as well as looking for some business and fabrication schooling, heh. It's good to see some of the guys still posting on here, though theres a certain Mr. HankJ that I haven't seen posting......

-Max.

calweld
11-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Hank's still kicking, I think he was here just last week.

metarinka
11-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Alcohol is a depressant and blood thinner (that's why you get dizzy) but in very small doses yes it does "calm nerves"

In the Olympics and sport shooting competitions like archery etc that require VERY steady nerves under pressure. The big thing to abuse is muscle relaxants, like diazepam. In small doses these effectively "Slow" your muscles down and take away the twitchiness. I would assume it would have the same affect for welding.

but not only is that illegal, it's probably not all that healthy.

In a similar grain, the big rumor is that military sharp shooters use them as well because they give you an edge in targeting, and help slow your heart rate.

Anyways I don't drink and I certainly wouldn't drink and use any sort of industrial tools. I know a welder who often went to work hung over and or still drunk and he never failed a test.

MadMax
11-13-2009, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE=metarinka;368783]

In a similar grain, the big rumor is that military sharp shooters use them as well because they give you an edge in targeting, and help slow your heart rate.
QUOTE]

I'll go ahead and say this is false. Maybe in the days of the old, but certainly wouldn't fly today. Snipers and designated marksmen often shoot and move, and a slow heart rate is not something you'd want. Breathing techniques (ie slow breathing and natural respritory pause) and lots'o practice is the ticket. Take it for what it's worth as I am not a sniper, just a dumb grunt stuck in Intel!

earlswrench
11-14-2009, 01:11 PM
"They talk of my drinking but never my thirst."
-- Scottish proverb

Roger
11-14-2009, 09:11 PM
Madmax is right, breathing correct slow deep with pauses along with relaxing can slow heart rate same as yoga. Control of emotions. Lots of practice lets you quickly settle down for accuracy. Physical fitness helps a lot.

Hyper ventilation is extreme opposite fast shallow breathing with emotions in control. Lowers CO2 in body to point you pass out.

cope
11-20-2009, 12:42 PM
All getting drunk gets you is drunk.:(

Rocky D
11-20-2009, 01:11 PM
All getting drunk gets you is drunk.:(

I think you could add "stupid" to that, cope. :D