PDA

View Full Version : Welding and dogs?

South_paw
03-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Hi all,

New to the forum & I have a unique question:D I had my dog out in the garage with me while welding and this is when the question hit me. Do dogs know enough not to look at a weld in progress? I don't want my buddy to go blind:p Yeah, I know. The simple answer is don't let the dog hang around while welding but that is hard to do with the garage door open.

Lets hear it... any blind dogs out there as a result of welding:eek::D:D

Thanks for putting up with my silly question,
Lou

Hotfoot
03-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Well, I had this cat that insisted on watching every time I fired up a welder. Out of concern for his eyes, I searched the web, and found "kittycanweld.com", which sells not only welding gear for cats, but instructional DVD's as well. However I did find that the little guy couldn't handle the DVD's well at all, so I had to load them for him each time he wanted to watch.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2dr9j0k.jpg

One day he wandered out of the shop proudly wearing his helmet, and unfortunately decided to cross the busy street. Poor guy. he was a good helper!:)

smyrna5
03-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Maybe I am just being silly, but I never weld where my dogs can see me. When I weld in the garage, or do anything else, they like to look out the kitchen door window at me, so I make sure the welding is not in their line of sight.

Zrexxer
03-08-2009, 12:07 PM
It's a subject that's come up at some length in the past here.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/showthread.php?t=10943&highlight=dog+eyes

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/showthread.php?t=12543&highlight=dog+eyes

MichaelP
03-08-2009, 01:38 PM
There is no doubt that your dog shouldn't be around when you weld. Same goes for any other animal. It's really very simple.

Zrexxer
03-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Same goes for any other animal. Except for blind salamanders. They're probably OK :D

Broccoli1
03-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Except for blind salamanders. They're probably OK :D

dunno- tough to find a 4-sleeved welding jacket:p

vicegrip
03-08-2009, 11:55 PM
I once had a dog that dearly loved to stay with me while working.
When alone, I minimised the angle he could view from as much as possible.

All it takes is a third party, that the dog is NOT particularly attached to,
to stand around unobtrucively and watch the dog.
After this occasion your dog will probably be consitent,
one way or the other.

If he (the dog) is concerned about your welding, it'll likely be noticed
by your observer. If he is just happy to be around,
he'll mostly be watching anything but you.

Mine was half Newfee, didn't care a bit if I welded, but would absolutely
not permit any familly member to go in the water.

Hence "no problem" as long as I dunt weld under water.;)

VG

MichaelP
03-09-2009, 12:01 AM
dunno- tough to find a 4-sleeved welding jacket:p You forgot about the tail, Ed. :)

Pumpkinhead
03-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrexxer
Except for blind salamanders. They're probably OK

dunno- tough to find a 4-sleeved welding jacket:p

Eddie, salamanders don't need jackets, iff'n they get burnt or the cancer, just break off the affected part. Salamanders can regenerate limbs.

Pumpkinhead
03-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Also, if your dog does go blind, get it a seeing eye guinea pig.
Although seeing eye cats are available, they tend to be vindictive towards dogs and put them in danger just for kicks.

Broccoli1
03-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrexxer
Except for blind salamanders. They're probably OK

Eddie, salamanders don't need jackets, iff'n they get burnt or the cancer, just break off the affected part. Salamanders can regenerate limbs.

How long? Gonna lose a couple days work I imagine

fjk
03-09-2009, 02:25 PM
this is all very silly.
everyone knows that dogs can't weld 'cuz they don't have
opposable thumbs and can't twiddle knobs and valves or
feed the wire into the wirefeeder and stuff like that:p

seriously, i keep my pooch out of sight, pardon the pun, -
for his eyes, the risk of skin cancer (they do get the big C),
having him get burned or catch fire (flying sparks and slag
and fuzzy hair... poof!)

heck, he's dumb as dirt, he'd probably try to eat a lump
of hot, flaming, slag...

and if something were to happen to him, my wife would
never ever let me forget it... so to avoid any risk to
domestic tranquility, scooter does not get to help me.

frank

Rocky D
03-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Bottom line..don't let your pooch peek! :eek:

South_paw
03-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Thanks Guys;)

whateg0
03-10-2009, 02:45 AM
..."kittycanweld.com"...

strange, I can't get that site to come up. :D

Dave

FWI
03-11-2009, 07:51 PM
No doubt it will definately hurt the pooch's eye. My close friend damaged his dog's eyes and he had to ultimately have a surgery on the dog's eyes. True story.

SGS Welding
04-11-2009, 06:03 PM
My cousin has a Jack Russel that is a big help in the shop,when cutting steel she runs around and "eats" all the glowing baIIs of steel. She dosen't miss to many,its funny to see.They keep plenty of water on hand.This dog hates fire I guess!?!?!

seattle smitty
04-13-2009, 03:58 PM
When I'm mobile welding in a neighborhood, I make sure to tell everybody in range of the flash, including neighbors nearby, to keep their animals where they can't look at the flash. I don't want to hurt the critters, and I don't want people calling the cops or suing me. Deer aren't completely stupid, yet they will stare at bright high-beams, so why might not other animals look long enough or often enough to get flash-burned eyes?

Broccoli1
04-13-2009, 04:35 PM
No doubt it will definately hurt the pooch's eye. My close friend damaged his dog's eyes and he had to ultimately have a surgery on the dog's eyes. True story.

from Arc Eye?

Humans don't even need Surgery.

Silverback
05-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Mine like's hanging out with me, but seems to know that if I put a hood or mask on to turn around... not necessary run away but she definitely doesn't watch. It's kind of convenient when welding, cutting or grinding, as long as I do the right thing and use some protection I know that she's not going to be looking either.

I'm not sure what started it, it might be that I got one of my auto darkening helmets when she was a puppy and used to put it on, growl and chase her around the house...