PDA

View Full Version : auger flights...how are they made?

jimmyg
02-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Ive always been curious how auger flights are made. Anyone know or better yet made them?

calweld
02-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Helicoil flights (continuous) start out as a ribbon, or roll, of flat. Runs thru a forming machine, with rollers, that twists and curves and stretches the metal into the screw shape. These flights will normally end up slightly thinner on the outside edges than on the inside of the screw, since it needs to be stretched out to get the form.

Sectional flights start out as a donut, cut out of plate, split on one side. It is then run thru a press, with curved bottom and top dies, to open it up into a screw shape. Each flight is a little more than one revolution, you make as many as needed for the length of screw desired. Forming sectional flights is more of an art than a science, definitely depends on the skill of the operator.

jimmyg
02-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Very interesting!!! What do the forming machines look like? Are they shop buildable? My interest is more along the lines of sectional flights as thats what gets used in farm equip. If I could Id love to be able to make them from time to time. As it is Ive been searching the junk yards for scraps.

hrdhatdivr
02-04-2009, 08:54 PM
try rock quarries asphalt plants or concrete plants for used augers .
you could get long lengths .

calweld
02-04-2009, 09:31 PM
You would probably be surprised, both helicoil and sectional flights are not as expensive as you would think, check your local bearing supply, anybody who is a dealer for Martin Sprocket and Gear, or Screw Conveyor Corporation, can get the parts for you. These would be good, for STOCK, industrial type screws. Farm screws ..... combines, bazooka augers, swathers, etc., on a non-standard shaft or pipe, you would be better off going to somebody like Replacement Flighting Supply, I think they are still around, google them, out of Nebraska I think???? Any helicoil will probably be cheaper, just lop off the amount you need, tack one end on the pipe or tube, pull the other end until it makes contact all around, weld, cut off the excess.

What is your location???? If you're gonna stick around, might as well put it up, go back into your profile and include it, might be a great help in the future.;)

jimmyg
02-05-2009, 02:13 PM
OK, fair enough. Thanx for those sources. Was that a round about way of saying you cant do this at home? :) For whatever reason flights have always fascinated me and I couldnt figure out how they might be made. Have any of you all made them for yourself or buy them?

calweld
02-05-2009, 02:44 PM
It's kind of hard to explain what the dies look like. It would be possible, for the lighter flights anyway, to form them on a regular shop press. It would take a lot of practice, and you would also need to figure the correct ID and OD to cut the steel, for the flight you would want to make. There's a formula, involving pipe size and flight pitch, I don't remember what it is, but we'd still have to run a test piece after burning the first one out, to be sure it was right. A lot of trial and error work before you get it right.

I have experience at one of the places I mentioned above. Today, anytime I have to build a screw, I buy the flights.

whateg0
02-06-2009, 01:05 AM
There was a really cool "How It's Made" awhile back about snowblowers. Not quite what you're looking for, but they did show the process of making the augers.

Dave