PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln AC-225-S repair

bredstein
01-12-2009, 12:40 PM
I bought recently an older Lincoln AC-225-S with a code number 5683. It was partially dissembled, so after giving it a good cleaning, I started putting everything together. My question is about connecting the leads. I assume it doesn't matter which one goes where, since it's an AC unit. However, I am really stuck with connecting one of these leads - I just don't see any place I can attach it to. The other fits nicely on a plate just beneath the blade switch for amps. If anyone has access to the inside of this welder, I would greatly appreciate if you could look and kindly suggest where to attach the lead. Thanks! Andrey (Round Rock, TX)

kc5ngx
01-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Hello,

You can download a copy of the owner's manual for the AC-225-S via the Lincoln Electric website. Just be ready to put in a code & serial#.

www.lincolnelectric.com

Take Care,

John
:)

kc5ngx
01-12-2009, 08:31 PM
http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/operatorsmanualdatasheet.aspx?p=28781

:D

bredstein
01-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Thanks, John. Been there, did it. It's just a list of parts, and the picture has both leads detached from the welder. So it doesn't really help.

kc5ngx
01-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Recently someone posted a pic of the inside of a AC-225-S on this forum or www.weldingweb.com. Do a forum search in the "Lincoln" forum you may find it there.

If I run across it, I will post it here.

John

bredstein
01-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Here is the picture of what I have. I am surprised that the owners of this machine, which is so popular in the United States, do not know what it has inside... I am originally from Russia, and can tell with confidence that the first thing someone in Russia does when he gets a new tool is remove the cover :-)

Jake_SS
01-14-2009, 03:36 AM
Why is that ally strap connected to the earth?

bredstein
01-14-2009, 08:57 AM
I connected it, although it probably doesn't belong there. I was just playing with it, trying to see where this strap fits. The other possible option is to bend the strap back, then the welding cable will reach it, and the whole thing will hang in the air. I am still thinking.

grey
01-14-2009, 09:04 AM

Jake is right. Good eye

I can see the picture better here than on the other forum. I didnt notice that the strip of winding I talked about is connected to supply ground in your picture. That is not correct (as far as I know)

That stip of winding should go to the work lead (-)

bredstein
01-14-2009, 09:15 AM
[...] the strip of winding I talked about is connected to supply ground in your picture. That is not correct (as far as I know)
That stip of winding should go to the work lead (-)
Yes, and there is another point why it should not be like this. The clamp which holds welding cables in place bend them in many years, so you can easily see where exactly they entered the box. And if the strap is attached to the earth, the work lead is too short to reach it... It is still hard to believe that Lincoln engineers left the connection hanging. Let's wait for the pictures.

bredstein
01-14-2009, 01:32 PM
If somebody is interested in how to connect the cables, the answer with pictures can be found on the other forum, weldingweb.com, in the same thread (Lincoln AC-225-S repair). Thanks everybody for ideas!

kc5ngx
01-16-2009, 07:34 PM
How do you like your AC-225-S now that it is working? Try some 1/8" 6013 or 7018AC!

Glad to hear you were able to repair it,

John

bredstein
01-17-2009, 01:46 PM
How do you like your AC-225-S now that it is working? Try some 1/8" 6013 or 7018AC!

Glad to hear you were able to repair it,

John

Thank you, John. The machine works all right, but the welding itself looks ugly. Although it's my fault, not the welder's, since I never tried stick before. I had a box of 3/32 6013 around, started at 90 amps on a 1/8 plate, and had a lot of splatter and huge holes... Need to reduce the amps, I guess. Another thing is the fan - it makes a terrible noise when the power is on. I am looking for replacement now.

kc5ngx
01-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Ugly Beads & Spatter?<grin> Sounds like some of my first attemps at welding with the AC-225-S!<grin> All kidding aside, I got better with time. The AC-225 will make a fine bead! Just watch your arc gap and travel speed. Also, I have found out that 7014 (Fleetweld 47) makes a nice bead with little splatter.

As far as the noisy fan, I have a Lincoln Idealarc 250 that had a noisy fan. The fan noise became quite over some time. I think the machine was in long term storage at some point. Also, It could be the fan bearings going south on ya.

Take Care & Have Fun,

John
:)