PDA

View Full Version : Was just given this old Forney Welder

jbear
10-23-2002, 05:48 PM
Has anyone ever used, heard of or seen this bad boy? Looks like quite a capable unit with MANY possibilities.

No cables, and very dirty?

Any thoughts or suggestions on getting her running? Should I even bother?

over,

bear

gnewby
10-23-2002, 06:57 PM
That welder looks almost new compared to my old Forney Welder. They are made somewhat similar. Mine has plug sockets on both sides of the welder vertically with the assortment of different sockets for different welding settings and then it has a low ground and high ground at the bottom of the machine. I think it was made back in the late 1940's last pattent date 1946. It is a 175 or 180 amp machine it works good. All I have ever done to it is clean the inside of the sockets or plugends and also taken the cover off a few times and used an air hose to blow the dust and dirt out of it. There is a Forney web site you can get onto and maybe get some info on this welder, but I don't remember what the web address is but someone else can probably help you. Or you could write to Forney Industries, Inc. P.O. Box 563 Fort Collins, Co. 80522 they would probably send you some info that you might find useful I know I did.

jbear
10-23-2002, 07:15 PM
I found the 'Forney Industries' web site...they seem to be a purveyor of welding consumables and what nots now...including entire wall displays for welding supply houses?

A division called westarc seems to make speciality robotic and spot welding units.

Can't find anything specific to this unit.

I also have the hi low grounds and such but this machine is labeled for as a battery charger also. Sorry for the crappy pic. The digital crapped out on me.

All conductive surfaces (i.e. plug contacts) 'appear' in decent shape, with what would be expected rubber/steel deterioration for a machine having been outside for 14 years or so now. Notice in the back ground the Briggs and Stratton model one engine to power the air compressor. Still trying to get that to work :)

Open her up...compress air her out. Sounds reasonable. I guess a variety of cables could easily be sourced for just about all functions.

Thanks again.

out,

bear

jbear
10-23-2002, 07:21 PM
I found the 'Forney Industries' web site...they seem to be a purveyor of welding consumables and what nots now...including entire wall displays for welding supply houses?

A division called westarc seems to make speciality robotic and spot welding units.

Can't find anything specific to this unit.

I also have the hi low grounds and such but this machine is labeled for as a battery charger also. Sorry for the crappy pic. The digital crapped out on me.

All conductive surfaces (i.e. plug contacts) 'appear' in decent shape, with what would be expected rubber/steel deterioration for a machine having been outside for 14 years or so now. Notice in the back ground the Briggs and Stratton model one engine to power the air compressor. Still trying to get that to work :)

Open her up...compress air her out. Sounds reasonable. I guess a variety of cables could easily be sourced for just about all functions.

Thanks again.

out,

bear

jbear
10-23-2002, 09:16 PM
The machine is actually labeled to <<braze or solder>>

Does this then mean it is not a welder?

Check out this rather large photograph:

http://www.jbear.com/forney_front_big.jpg

over,

bear

Dan
10-23-2002, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by jbear
The machine is actually labeled to <<braze or solder>>

Does this then mean it is not a welder?

Check out this rather large photograph:

http://www.jbear.com/forney_front_big.jpg

over,

bear

It is a welder. My uncle, who just recently passed away, had one of these machine for at least 40 or 50 years for welding on his farm. The solder and brazing that you are seeing is probably the recommended sockets for plugging a twin carbon arc torch into for performing these operations.

gnewby
10-23-2002, 09:46 PM
I noticed when I enlarged your photo that your welder is a series C5BT. If you will e-mail the people at the Forney welding site or else mail them they can send you out some literature on this welder I know because that welder is listed in the Service Manual that they sent to me when I asked for info for my welder. They are a great bunch to talk to they sent me that Manual which shows operation and circuit testing, trouble shooting for the battery charger. They also sent me an old trouble shooting chart that might help you out. I think before I went very far with this welder though I would get it blowed out and hook some juice up to it and see if it makes any noise like it wants to work. If not you might consider taking it to a welding repair shop and have them look at it and see if it will work or not. Your welder looks a lot newer than mine but if it set out side for years it probably wasn't good for it. Mine was not used for years before I got ahold of it but it works great.

whiteflat110
07-19-2004, 05:40 PM
gnewby, I noticed that on another post you had a picture of a Forney model C-5 welder I believe. I have the same welder, but the numbers and letters have faded/worn off and I can no longer read them. Can you send me a closer/better picture of your welder or tell me what each plug is labeld as.

Thanks,
Ryan

gnewby
07-19-2004, 10:09 PM
Whiteflat Let me try it this way:

20 * 30 35 * 45

50 * 60 65 * 75

80 * 90 95 * 105

110 * 120 130 *140

150 * 160 170 * 180

Low ground * * High ground

Hopefully that will do you some good. If you still need a closer picture let me know. I was short on time tonight due to some last minute honey do projects.

Gerald

whiteflat110
07-20-2004, 09:12 AM
Thanks Gerald. That will help alot and I appreciate it. No need for a closer picture as what you just posted will get it done....I understand them honey do lists...you gotta get them done first before you can play or lets just say life aint no fun for awhile.

Thanks,
Ryan