View Full Version : STIG welding?

07-17-2008, 01:04 PM
I was roaming around through the Stick section archives and I found where someone was talking about a technique (not sanctioned by AWS, he said, but maybe useful anyway) that he called "STIG" welding.

From the way he described it, you use a stick welder and a regular flux-coated stick in the stinger in one hand, and then you use a bare filler rod in the other hand almost as if you were GTAW welding (I guess?) ... he said something about using a stainless steel rod for the filler rod, to give the weld some of the stainless steel alloying metals (and give it some rust resistance, I guess?)

This all sounded really interesting to me. Do any of you all use this method? Comments? Pros? Cons? Also, are there any hazards associated with doing this ... for example, if you touch the work with the filler rod and thus have (+) in one hand and (-) in the other hand?

Sorry for all the newbie questions but I'm really enjoying playing around with my new stick welder and reading about how to weld and reading the posts here. I might have to take a course on it at the local community college this fall...



07-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Post #2 here: http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/showthread.php?p=312291

07-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Thanks, USMCPop, that's the post I was reading. BTW, what part of Virginia you hail from?

So is this STIG business something that many people mess around with? It appeals to my Mad Scientist and Cheapskate tendencies...assuming it works and isn't dangerous.

injun joe
07-17-2008, 05:33 PM
well i have used this process many times before i wouldnt recommend i on critical stuff but for like farm maintenance its ok for me i used it for bridging wide gaps when no mig was available though i have never tried it with stainless

07-17-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm on the outskirts of Richmond.

Not that I'm a knowledgeable source, but my take is that TIG is bad enough from a dexterity level. Now use a stinger in place of a TIG torch and get a good weld :D Melting metal is fun, but you can do that with an O/A torch.

07-19-2008, 06:40 AM
My friend, who is a structural ironworker of 22 years, taught me this when we were welding up a cattle gate made of galvanized pipe. He purposely did not grind of the galvanized on one part, said "weld it". About all I could do is chase a hole. He laughed, said "watch this". He took a rod, removed the flux, laid it on the hole and proceeded to fill it in. We were using 3/32 in a 7018 flavor. I agree that it would not be for high stress areas, but it did fill in the hole. He called it "Stick Brazing"

07-19-2008, 06:50 AM
I guess that I stig weld all the time,I just didnt know that it had a name.I just lay down a piece of keystock[I mean stig rod] and burn away.I am going to ask my boss to order some 1/4 inch stig rod and sit back and watch his head explode.:D

07-19-2008, 07:46 AM
Oh. I thought you meant THE STIG welding :D