PDA

View Full Version : Harvestore silos

JP-Fab
07-07-2008, 03:17 AM
I got offered 3 Harvestore silos to take down on a farm. I am wondering if anyone has any experience in getting these on the ground? They have to come straight down and cannot be pulled over like I have done with several block ones.

I was planning to use jacks, but the ones I have access to are not rated for that large of a silo. They are made for the smaller bins.

I am planning to do it with a impact wrench and a 80 foot lift with a torch for backup!

Any guidance would be appriciated.

whateg0
07-07-2008, 03:28 AM
Sorry, no advice, but I'm curious about this. I've helped take down the corrugated graineries but never a Harvestore. I bet they are a completely different animal.

Dave

JP-Fab
07-07-2008, 01:21 PM
I have taken down the corigated ones as well, the one we did was easy with jacks. The company we rented the jacks from said they were not big enough to lift a harvestore.

Sberry
07-07-2008, 08:26 PM
I haven't looked at the structural details but assume they are bolted with flanges? could undo most of the bolts, leave some connector bolts and take it down in ringed sections? Get it all ready, rent a crane for day, unstack the sections. Neat job though and will have to look at a couple up close.
Make a clamp that acts as a ringer/roller around the top repel from a chair and rotate around it to undo bolts, drop a level and do the next set. ha. How big are they, this would be great place for investment in top battery impacts if you dont already have them.

aametalmaster
07-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Look here.
http://www.harvestore.com/PDF/Harvestore_WEB.pdf
I prob pass a hundred of them each day but never looked at one close...Bob

JP-Fab
07-08-2008, 07:29 PM
I have been there and even e-mailed them some questions but nobody ever replied. So I am off to find the answers myself.

greywynd
07-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Not sure if you are taking these down to scrap, or to re-use. I've seen some of the cement (stave?) silos (the panels and ring type) taken down by dumping a truckload of sand near the base, setting up scaffold, and as the silo comes down, drop the pieces into the sand. A ground crew takes them away and loads/stacks etc, ready for the next one to be dropped.

Even if you damage a couple, I suspect that you would figure it out quick enough to simply put it up smaller, or make 2 out of 3, etc, if they are the same diameter.

Jim-Tx
07-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Here's a quick way to take down a silo. BTW, the guy wasn't hurt!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DDIxwg6SL4

Wyoming
07-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Jp-Fab, I haven't seen anyone mention this, but with your saying you would use a torch as backup it sounds like you are planning to take the silos down for scrap. My question is are you aware of the glass clading on the panels? Seems like it might be more to the job then its worth for scrap.

JP-Fab
07-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Ya, I am aware of the glass coating. I take a hit on the pice but it still pays.

We have taken stone ones down with a sledge and that was easy!!

Unfortunately I can't pull them over, they sit right in the middle of a barnyard.

zionview
07-09-2008, 10:30 PM
I have seen Harvestores being built- they are built roof first and then jacked up far enough to put the next ring on. I've also seen a crew run full-speed away from a 20X70 that was about 50" high at the time when a gust of wind kicked up. If you just want them for scrap, maybe the fall from pulling them over would shake loose some of the fiberglass! Penn-Jersey Harvestore in Pennsylvania advertises to buy used Harvestores. Maybe they would have some ideas. Good luck, that's a bigger project than I'm looking for!!

Harvuskong
09-19-2008, 07:38 PM
Well, it has been several months now, how about a project report??

Amos F.
11-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Well, it has been several months now, how about a project report??

I am curious as well. I have three that I am using and I am always interested in the ways others have found to use or demolish them.

JP-Fab
10-04-2009, 07:19 PM
we passed on the job after the steel price dropped ,

Amos F.
12-06-2009, 05:24 PM
I have removed a sheet from the bottom of two of my units to put steel sheets in for the floor. The sheets come off easy after you get all the bolts out of them. They are not light to lift. Have a loader or a crane ready when the last ten bolts come out. Can be real tricky to line up the holes to put it back on with an old backhoe with loose final drives and a poor parking brake. These are part of the reasons why I no longer have steel floors in them.

aametalmaster
12-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Too bad you couldn't just cut a notch with a 4 1/2" angle grinder and let them fall. Seen lots of block ones fall that way...Bob

Hotfoot
12-06-2009, 06:34 PM
The Harvestore site says..

"Also, a Harvestore structure can be taken down and moved."

The site is...

http://www.harvestore.com/structures1.html