PDA

View Full Version : sa 200 welder wont arc.

vgh
04-05-2008, 07:06 PM
I appreciate all the input on my welder. I got it running good besides the smoking. I went to weld a little and it wont strike an arc it was working good last time I had it out which has been a while. I am lost and dont know what to look at maybe i can fix it or maybe not just some ideas would be appreciated. I might end up getting another welder or having this one rebuilt I can do the motor but dont know nothing about the electrical.

vgh
04-05-2008, 08:51 PM
I checked the plug in and it will run a grinder good. I checked all the connections. that i can see.

Mike C2
04-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Change the voltage tap several times to make sure that contact is clean and try it with the rhestat in both max and min positions. I have multi piece electrodes on mine (they have a connector in the middle making them longer) and a dirty connection there kept it from welding once.

ventureline
04-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Well. hopefully you've just lost your local rheostat, or you may have lost your generator, take an ohm meter and check the resistance between your positive and neg terminals and to frame ground. Should be alittle resistance between the terminals and none to frame ground.

vgh
04-06-2008, 09:16 PM
I pulled covers off to see the brushes and found a rat nest under the brushes and after cleaning it out found on of the brush wires eat in half. I wired it back together with some plastic covered wire I think it is a good connection.
any way I cleaned all the contact points to a shinny copper coller. and now all i can get is a small spark when cross on the weld terminals. might be some more eat up wires. I cant see any more bad wires unless inside the housing.:confused:

vgh
04-06-2008, 09:19 PM
I am sorry for not mentioning this. Would it not arc if the reostat was bad and how would i Know if it was bad. Thank you.

vgh
04-07-2008, 03:11 PM
I took my sa200 apart and got into the housing and found 5 inches of wire gone that connects some wires from the coils inside the housing and some wires that go outside. I will soder them together and get back here to let you know how it goes.

vgh
04-08-2008, 07:48 PM
I think I am on the right track to getting this thing working hopefully.
I found all the wires and would very much appreciate it if some one could help me to get a diagram of the inside wiring of the generator so I wont do nothing wrong cant find anything on the lincoln site.

ventureline
04-08-2008, 09:09 PM
go to "lincolnelectric.com" and pull up a classic 1 wiring diagram, it's basicly the same as a SA200

billysol
04-11-2008, 10:42 PM
VGH

Well what is the CODE number and with a SERIAL NUMBER I can tell how old your SA-200 is.

I have a 2365 CODE that was built in 1953 that I put a Perkins Diesel in and I weld with it just about every day.

Before you go too far take a 12 volt battery and a wire from the positive post and wire from the negitive post and flash your exciter fields. The positive wire goes to the RH brush holder and the negitive goes to the LH brush holder. Flash them for about 3-4 seconds as the exciter may have lost it's residule magitisim.

Call Larry at weldmatonline.com and talk to him. He is VERY knowedgeable about these machines.

I have a lot of wiring drawings of the "Short Hood" SA-200. PM me with an email addy and I will attach what I have to you.

Bill

vgh
04-12-2008, 12:05 AM
Thank you billysol I have done all that and am still not getting arc just a little spark. I think I am going to take it to a place in okla city. They are pretty good with this stuff. I looked and cleaned everything I can I am afraid I am going to mess it up pretty bad. I APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP AND INFO THE EVERYBODY HAS PUT IN. When i get it fixed i'll post back with the answers. I am waiting on tax money to get here.