PDA

View Full Version : Welding rig photos

matt54623
01-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Would anyone care to post photos of their welding rigs? I have a curiosity to see what other weldors use to get from job to job with all of their equipment.

yorkiepap
01-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Hey matt,
Ok..I'll start. This is my mobile rig that I use generally 3-5 times a week. I am not a pipeliner, rig, or structural unit as I do general welding, fabrication & repairs. I do a lot of classic car restorations and make AL D/Plate crafts and show car AL D/Plate items. My unit is fully equipped, Stick, MIG(spoolgun), TIG, O/A, Plasma Cutter, generator, & air compressor and I maintain a supply of steel, sheetmetal, and AL in the unit. After a day out in the field, I like being able to simply come home, park & unhook it and have my truck for personal use. Anyway, I hope this will let you see this type of unit some of us use for general welding. Denny

Rocky D
01-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Nice rig, Denny, looks too clean to be a real work trailer, tho. :D

Here's mine...of yesteryear :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/RockyD/My%20Favorite%20Tools/MVC-780F.jpg

yorkiepap
01-09-2008, 11:52 PM
Hey Rocky,
I'm a bugger when it comes to my equipment. There have been days that rig had an inch of mud inside & outside. I find it so much easier to be organized & clean and not having fits trying to find something I need. My machine & fab shop is the same. Thanks..... Denny

Garfield
01-10-2008, 12:36 AM
I doubt that I am the only one but I may be the only one to say it. That trailer is cleaner than my house : )

IamVince
01-10-2008, 03:14 AM
I doubt that I am the only one but I may be the only one to say it. That trailer is cleaner than my house : )

lol no kidding.Man I try to keep my tools that organized...lasts about 1 day then trashed again.

Batti
01-10-2008, 08:30 AM
yorkiepap, that is one nice rig. You have every right to be proud of that.

JimDon
01-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Very nice, clean rig. I'm jealous. I try to keep basement shop area and garage shop areas clean, but they always end up looking like a blind guy was busy working. By the way, if you got any of those slick lookin' tools or equipment for free or at a way lower cost than normal, you would be eligible for a "You Suck" award. Just because you are so neat, you still might find somebody willing to give a You Suck award. I'm in a good mood today though, so I'll pass. Good LUck with your business.
Jim Don

556man
01-10-2008, 09:37 AM
yorkiepap, that is one nice rig. You have every right to be proud of that.

I Agree. Very nice and clean rig Denny. Another vote for the "You Suck!" award. ;) Jk

556man

theweldor
01-10-2008, 01:11 PM
Here's a picture of mine. Not much but it works for me.

boilerman79
01-10-2008, 02:30 PM
When you get tired of that Big Ole Red Rig,and decide to upgrade,let me know ,I cant afford to give you [Blue Book] value,but I can trade you a good old Pickup for it.:D:D:D

Broccoli1
01-10-2008, 03:13 PM

What is the Platform Tower in the background with the blue top?

yorkiepap
01-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Hey guys,
I want to thank you for your kind comments and I will accept your gracious award. I guess it all started with my dad(91) who was a superb carpenter and quite religious regarding his tools & equipment. He was a stickler with his tools as they had to be cleaned after using, and ALWAYS PUT BACK!!!! His garage was quite messy when he was working with all the wood dust & chips, but he took that 30 minutes after each session and cleaned everything back to spotless again. Just his way as all the "old schoolers" were who were brought up that way. And he taught myself & my 2 brothers the same. I've just been used to being organized and keeping my equip. & work areas(home & job) the same. Last week I was at a jobsite to do some welding on some broken equipment and it was so muddy there, I had to use 4WD just to get to the backhoe & highlift to work on them. Talk about mud..... Took an hour to wash it after coming home. I will say that it makes an impression on customers and has benefited by getting more references.

I wanted to give those of you considering maybe going mobile an idea of a smaller unit that can be easily equipped, only takes a little space, easy to manuever, and will enhance you business quite a bit. There is nice money in going mobile.

To theweldor: You have a nice rig there and I can see that you also take good care of it. Good for you.

Thanks again guys....... Denny

diverdown
01-10-2008, 04:00 PM
WOW! nice set up denny. what kind of gen -set are you using to power everything. does it power the air compressor and the plasma at the same time. was my first thought to go and then I got a good deal on a Hobart champion 4500. just started to build my rig last week. 1989 ford short box with a flat deck.will add a picture as soon as I figure out how.once again nice rig diverdown

Rocky D
01-10-2008, 05:26 PM

Not much??? Sheesh! That puppy is gorgeous! What do you work on mostly...I can see you can do just anything you wanted to with that rig.

usmcpop
01-10-2008, 06:09 PM
Rocky, I like your precision alignment tool on the floorboard next to the chop saw.

diverdown
01-10-2008, 06:38 PM
here is a picture of my rig, started building it last week. am off to town tommorrow to buy a truck mounted Hyd. crane with 1000lbs of lift. will be adding the scuba tank racks, and mounting the alum beer kegs under the deck for storage. cut the kegs open and fit a door. have done this before and they make great storage boxes, will be changing the tool boxes on top for alum stand up once I get back to work diving. just got my clarke 135 spool gun today so will be giving that a try this weekend. diverdown

Rocky D
01-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Here's a more detailed version...Sberry has a similar one he uses to impress the girls with.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/RockyD/My%20Favorite%20Tools/HOBART/ElderWeldor.jpg

diverdown
01-10-2008, 07:07 PM
here are some pictures of what my rig supports, was cutting off some rebar underwater for a boat ramp we installed last Feb.just got back from a month in Arizona and had to dive in 40 degree water. talk about shock.using a brocco underwater cutting system. uses altrathermic cutting rods. just add pure oxygen pull the trigger and the rod burns at 10,000 degress. cuts anything in its path. diverdown

556man
01-10-2008, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE=Rocky D;307843]Here's a more detailed version...Sberry has a similar one he uses to impress the girls with.

That cart got everything on it. Nice rig you got there Rocky. I like that O/A trailer too.

556man

theweldor
01-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the compliments. I do quite a bit of work on construction equipment. Mostly the big work, Line boring, major breaks etc. I also rebuild and reengineer mostly portable concrete plants. I work in about 4 states doing that work. The construction companys that own them do major road work. They want more concrete faster. I have a couple of them that are capable of 450 to 500 cubic yards an hour. After doing major rework.
That blue thing on the tower is an attempt at a windmill that the neighbor was working on. It never did pan out and I think he has given up on the operation.

matt54623
01-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone!
My next question is, what type of welding do most of you see on mobile jobs?
I ask this because I'd like to have my own portable rig eventually, but I of course cannot have every tool right away. What type of welder is the most practical for most field applications?
Awesome photos by the way guys :D

yorkiepap
01-12-2008, 12:23 AM
Hey matt,
My mobile jobs really vary and I have set up my rig so I can handle most anything. I get everything from heavy equip. to railing, to landscape equip., gates & fences, and I do 3-6 classic car restorations a year. These are the type of jobs that cannot be brought to my shop and therefore I have the mobile unit set up so I can fab most items on location that are not extremely large. I would say that to really have a setup that would cover 95% of repairs, a stick & MIG would serve you quite well initially till you see the types of work that you may get. A gen/welder(Ranger/Bobcat) may be a better option for you depending on your area & work demand. You would be surprised at the small tooling that is necessary, at times, to do a job correctly & completely. Consider making a list of the possible types of work you may get, & list the tools you would need. Then you can plan how to set up your rig. Again, my mobile work is in the general repair/fab arena and other types of work(rig/pipeline/structural) demand specific equipment for their applications. Hope this gives you some ideas of what you want to do & some considerations for a mobile setup.

To: diverdown,
My generator is a 7.5kw continuous/8.75kw surge unit that will power everything. I can use any of the welders and have the compressor running at the same time. My plasma cutter draws the most and the compressor never comes on at the same time as the P/cutter. The P/cutter will not operate below 70psi and shuts down once that threshold is reached, and the compressor kicks in at 65psi. So I never have to worry about both running at the same time. If I needed both to run together, I would need a 10kw gen. minimum.

Suggestions: You're time has a value....put a price on it. Set a price for a service call. This is according to your area, fuel prices, & this is a cost to deliver your unit to location. I have a range of miles(25) the service call price is fixed, & an additional $1.00/mi over that. Your rate charge will be dependent on your overhead, the value you place on your work skills, and your material. And the clock begins when I start to hook up and finished when everything is done & put away. My basic rate is for steel work and I charge a higher rate for aluminum. Anyway, I hope this will be some "food for thought" for you who may want to go mobile.

Denny

Sberry
01-12-2008, 11:21 AM
New guys here all the time, this is a repeat.

J Hall
01-12-2008, 12:02 PM
That is one heck of a nice rig! Is that an Airvantage? I couldn't tell for sure.
How do you like it?

1990notch
01-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Those are all nice rigs.

Yorkiepap, very clean and very nice setup. What make is that generator? Do you tig weld inside that rig? Just wondering how you keep it ventilated if you do.

theweldor, that's an extremely nice rig. Must have cost a bunch.

Rocky, That thing is really loaded. I used to drive one of those when I used to install network and phone cable at Hughes Aircraft. Worked great to haul tools and spools of cable.

Sberry, I've never seen the truck. Thanks for reposting.

theweldor
01-12-2008, 08:08 PM
J Hall
Thank all of You for the compliments. That is an Airvantage. So far it has been a good machine. It has a bout a 1000 hrs. on it. Has seen some pretty hard work during that time. I did have a meter go bad shortly after I got it. The voltage and amperage meters are digital and both the same. You switch the plugs to tell if it is the meter or the pc board. Turned out it was a meter. I have a setup to sub-arc with it. It gets a workout when doing that. Seems to be a tough machine though.
One thing about it. You pull on a job with something like that and 2 things are known. You must be the expert (LOL) with a rig like that and it's not going to be cheap!!!!
Bob

Broccoli1
01-12-2008, 08:15 PM
I put my Sp135 on a wagon once:D

Rocky D
01-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Bob, it looks like you have everything on that rig...even a satellite dish! :D

otisamos
01-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Hey matt,
Ok..I'll start. This is my mobile rig that I use generally 3-5 times a week. I am not a pipeliner, rig, or structural unit as I do general welding, fabrication & repairs. I do a lot of classic car restorations and make AL D/Plate crafts and show car AL D/Plate items. My unit is fully equipped, Stick, MIG(spoolgun), TIG, O/A, Plasma Cutter, generator, & air compressor and I maintain a supply of steel, sheetmetal, and AL in the unit. After a day out in the field, I like being able to simply come home, park & unhook it and have my truck for personal use. Anyway, I hope this will let you see this type of unit some of us use for general welding. Denny

I will try to get a rig like this one. I had no idea what to get. I just became a welding teacher here in Memphis. Not many welders around here. I been a machinist for 23 years and now I realize I love welding.

yorkiepap
01-12-2008, 09:50 PM
To 1990notch:
My generator is a 10hp DeVilbiss w/elec. start. I modified the panel with additional receptacles to accomodate the plugs on my equip. & installed a 300vac voltmeter to monitor voltage fluxuations. I generally TIG on the folddown table on the outside of the rig. If it's windy, I have a small collapsible hood that fits over the table.

To otisamos:
I had to do some homework prior to getting the unit as to the most efficient size that would allow me to have all the equip. I needed, yet be compact enough for easy manueverability. My mobile is 5' X 8' X 66"H inside. I welded 3 extra "V" cross braces on the frame underneath for additional floor support. I'm pretty close to max load spec. because of the additional material I like to have on hand. If you shop around, you should be able to find a clean used unit for a reasonable price. I bought this one new for dealer cost as it was his last Tennessee unit because he was changing franchises. The enclosed unit is much more weather resistant and quite secure. I tried to optimize all the useable space to have all the necessary tools I would need and used aluminum to make all my tool/cable holders and welder/plasma cutter rack to save weight....worked out great.

Denny

J Hall
01-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Here's me..

Knowledgeworker
01-12-2008, 11:03 PM
That is a great looking outfit! Yorkiepap.

Jim

lcats
01-14-2008, 08:29 PM
That's a great rig Yorkiepap. I too was raised to keep it clean, all though hard at times. I'm not a welder by trade, so i'm here learning from the best in the business.

boykjo
01-29-2008, 07:15 PM
Here's my gas sipping rig. It sips a measley gallon of gas for every 8-10 miles. Try to do that!

WolfeIndustrial
01-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Great to see the gear that everyone's working with. Our work is mostly industrial so it's nice to see all types of equipment.

Sberry
01-12-2010, 09:22 PM
A couple more pics.

Sberry
01-12-2010, 09:28 PM
This is the setup I usually use though. The 80 cf bottle originally went on the little red welder, I photo chop it in the pic, can be removed from the trailer as a complete unit and set in pickup truck. Now I am lighter, more of a minimalist. Maxstar in the purple bag.

Sberry
01-12-2010, 09:31 PM
The little one is on a skid. Its actually my favorite portable, I like the way it welds as good or better than the one on my service truck.

sparkswelding
05-18-2010, 02:38 AM
my set up is in need of a flat bed.

hockeyguynick
05-18-2010, 07:29 PM
I put my Sp135 on a wagon once:D

LOL, Sounds like me, I throw it in a wheelbarrow to get it from the barn to the garage