PDA

View Full Version : Gold colored coating on unistrut?

rawen2
12-14-2007, 03:13 AM
What is the gold colored coating on unistrut?
I was going to pick up some unistrut scraps from a construction project at work to practice mig welding on. But if that coating is hazardous when burned I'll look for something else.
Thanks,
Ralph Wenzl

Zrexxer
12-14-2007, 07:01 AM
It's a zinc-chromate conversion coating.

Goulet!
12-14-2007, 10:14 AM
You could always grind it off thats what I do with it.

Hotfoot
12-14-2007, 12:05 PM
...and we assume there is no compressed gas or oil in that strut....:o

Zrexxer
12-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Hotfoot... this is unistrut:
http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=25015&stc=1&d=1197652224

Rocky D
12-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Electricians would come to me with that stuff to make hangers for buss ducts and support frames for electrical panels. The green powder coated stuff was had to strike an arc on difficult to ground without grinding off a clean spot.

Broccoli1
12-14-2007, 03:12 PM
...and we assume there is no compressed gas or oil in that strut....:o

I tried but it just won't stay in the Unistrut:p:D

Hotfoot
12-14-2007, 04:38 PM
..guess Unistrut...monoshock...I figured a Unistrut was a monoshock mounted beneath the seat on a unicycle..or somethin' like that...:rolleyes: I never knew what those electrical racks were called, but have noticed them, and their nifty attachments, in the big hardware stores...:)

hankj
12-14-2007, 04:44 PM
Unistrut gets manufactured by lots of different outfits to lots of different engineering specs.

If it's gold colored, it's uaually anodized; galvanized is galvanized; some is painted with the toughest acid-reisrant paint I've ever tried to remove, etc.

I like it for projects where it is strong enough for the application because of all the holes. Makes mounting real easy!

Hank

Zrexxer
12-14-2007, 04:46 PM
If it's gold colored, it's uaually anodized; Steel can't be anodized.

If it looks like this, then I'm tellin ya, it's zinc-chromate.
http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=25017&stc=1&d=1197668985

SMS
12-14-2007, 05:04 PM
Steel can't be anodized.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=25017&stc=1&d=1197668985

Unistruts are made in aluminum as well:rolleyes:

hankj
12-14-2007, 05:09 PM
Ok.

If it's steel unistrut, it's zinc-chromate; if it's aluminum unistrut, it's usually anodized. If it's cold Kettle One, it's usually drank.

Hank

Willy Victor
12-14-2007, 08:14 PM
I've seen a lot of green unistrut. We made a rack for a painter one time to hang his paintings on to dry. This guy gets big bucks for his stuff, I'm still trying to figure out just what the **** it is.:confused::confused:

Willy

Broccoli1
12-14-2007, 08:17 PM
I've seen a lot of green unistrut. We made a rack for a painter one time to hang his paintings on to dry. This guy gets big bucks for his stuff, I'm still trying to figure out just what the **** it is.:confused::confused:

Willy

Abstract dollar signs:D

rawen2
12-15-2007, 01:22 AM
Steel can't be anodized.

Yup. It's steel unistrut (the big boy's erector set) and that picture is exactly what the coating looks like.
So I think I'll look for some other kind of scraps to practice on.
Thanks for all the info guys.
Ralph Wenzl

Some Creep
12-15-2007, 03:19 AM
I get a kick out of the guys who say "no, it's 'Superstrut', not "Unistrut'.".... :D heh, yeah, whatever. Same thing , different name.
Anyone used the fiberglass version yet? Same thing, cuts easy. Hate (no, I mean really HATE) the stainless unistrut. Jeez, take something good and make it hard to use..... :mad:

Sandy
12-15-2007, 11:26 AM
Anyone used the fiberglass version yet?

Not real popular. :) Good for battery racks. Used at power plants, substations, etc.. Has some nice earth quake properites too. Can't find any fiberglass rod to use on it.

Sberry
12-16-2007, 01:10 AM
To get back to the original question,,, I would be picking up some scraps at work if available, its pricey and a great material for all kinds of projects, welding practice not one of them. Get some clean common mild steel. Doesn't mean you cant use it to build things especially where a little grinding is acceptable and the welding is limited and localized. Ideal for use with bolts and heavy screws too.

Rocky D
12-16-2007, 03:34 AM
Let me add this to the mix...It's also called Kindorf®
The standard GoldGalv® wiring support hardware finish on
Superstrut products is a multi-step electrogalvanizing and zinc
dichromate process.
The .5 mil electrogalvanized plating, rather than a standard
galvanized coating, creates a cohesive molecular bond between
the zinc and the steel. This resists future blistering or peeling, since
corrosion cannot penetrate the bond. The plating is performed in
compliance with ASTM specifications B 633-85. The
electrogalvanizing provides an even distribution of zinc, even on
threads, unlike other galvanizing methods.
Gold colored zinc dichromate is applied over the zinc, producing a
chemically bonded non-porous barrier for protection from moisture
and air. This extends the protective life of the zinc, and provides an
excellent base for paint, if desired. The GoldGalv® hardware finish
also provides a low electrical resistance when grounding of the
system is required. Superstrut channel and fittings are plated after
fabrication, so there are no unprotected edges from cutting or
punching. Where field cutting is necessary or scratches occur due
to construction handling, you still have the sacrificial protection of
the plated zinc to minimize the corrosion of raw edges and prevent
spreading.
The distinctive gold color of Superstrut products identifies your job
as providing the superior GoldGalv® hardware protection.

pturner
01-01-2008, 01:50 AM
A few notes:
Unistrut and Super Strut are the trade names. The generic is "Strut Channel".

In addition to the galv, gold, and painted version and fiberglass it is also available in 304 and 316 stainless. I've never had much problem with the SS version, using a portaband or my Turnpro 8X12 bandsaw to cut it.

I recentally build 5 plasma TV mounts out of it. The customer needed a secure mount and the walls with some of the thinest 16' metal studs I've ever seen leaved a lot to be desired. Plus she wanted them in 24 hours, and could only find 2 mounts in town, neither rated for the weight involved. One piece was drilled, plasma arc'd and ground to hold the TV in a couple of slots, and 2 (or 3) other pieces were run down the studs to the bottom of the TV (as log as possable without showing with a #10 sheetmetal screw in almost every slot. I connected the pieces with right angle brackets and TEK screws

Sully2
01-01-2008, 10:16 AM
Steel can't be anodized.

Since anodizng is a controlled oxide coating...I think on STEEL its called ....RUST!!!.....:D

Anodizing is on Al..or Ti products

Garfield
01-01-2008, 02:58 PM
If you want to know more about Uni Strut than you need to, or you like old Disney industrial films, Click Here (http://www.unistrut.com/movie/index.php)
Then click on "the Sky's the Limit"

Any one wonder if Hobart's Sparky ever has a few beers with Mr. Strut after a hard day?