PDA

View Full Version : Cheater lenses

Meach
12-10-2007, 08:12 PM
I have an a/d hood with th standard larger size lense. Now that I'm 50 I find I need those drug store cheaters to weld well with but I hate having to put them on and off all the time when doing fab work. I have found the cheater lense in the small size but my lense is a standard size in the neighborhood of 4x5 cant remember the exact5 size and its snowing and I have my PJ's on so I'm not getting up to look! Anyone know where I can a magnafied nclear lense in that approx size?

LJDIII
12-11-2007, 11:48 AM
I too need cheaters but the only lenses available for the 4x5 size lenses are clear no magnification. I was advised that the 2 x4 could be adapted to some helmets since they fit inside. Suggest you contact or better yet stop in to you local dealer and check with him/ her and take a long your helmet to see what is available for your model. I have one of the fancy 13sq inch viewing window on a Jackson. Good luck and hope this is of some help. Enjoy the holidays. The new guy on the block.

hankj
12-11-2007, 11:59 AM
I looked everywhere I could think of for a cheater for my BWE, and could only fing the small sizes. True, two of them can be fit into the BWE, but they don't work well together!

I haven't tried searching for a large size in the last year, so maybe they are available, but I've yet to see one in any catalog.

Hank

BBackSoon
12-11-2007, 01:00 PM
I am not quite there but soon.

How about the small cheater lense on the bottom of the big window. They you will have a bifocal welding helmet!!!

Rocky D
12-11-2007, 01:43 PM
To my knowledge cheaters don't come any larger, due to the design of the lens they are convex...and are in a ratio of curvature to the curvature of your eyeball. What most guys do, is tape them to the inside. You actually don't need all that viewing area...it's a novelty, the puddle can be seen through the small lenses quite nicely...it's just takes getting used to. Then if you are claustrophobic....:rolleyes:

NMWelds
12-11-2007, 02:49 PM
Found this adapter from Jackson. It only works with their HSL-100 helmet from what I gather, sorry Meach. Few more years and I'll probably have to get one:eek:

Here is the link for the description below http://www.toolsforless.com/product/7556/Jackson_0745-0029_Magnifying_Lens_Holder

0745-0029 Description
Jackson 0745-0029 98-3 Large Window Mag Lens Holder Plate Adapter Kit

0745-0029 Features
Allows you to use a 2" x 4" welding magnifying lens in a 4" x 5" welding helmet (when the helmet has an internal bracket which can accomodate it)

Compatibility
HSL-100

Rocky D
12-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Hey...what's wrong with duct tape? :D

hankj
12-12-2007, 02:15 AM
Hey...what's wrong with duct tape? :D

Geez, Rock, you grew up lookin' through that little peep hole! I like the "novelty" of the big window.

I started with an ancient Forney hat with a 10-shade glass and a fiber body. Did OK with it, too.

But, I hadda have a "trinket", so I got a cheapo A/D hat (Astro Pneumatic) and it went on from there.

I never masterd the art of point-and-nod to trip the hat down. The A/D's were a Godsend for me!

Guess that's how it can be whrn you are a novice senior welder!

Hank

1HDRIDER
01-18-2008, 03:14 PM
funny i ran across this post...just today i was thinkin how i could get a full size cheater lens for my hood...they got these thin plastic 2X magnifyers {1 or 2 mills} that old folks use for reading...they only cost a few bucks...maby they could be cut to size & there ya go....just a thought