PDA

View Full Version : Kohler vs. Robin, is one better than the other?

Rik
09-29-2007, 02:35 PM
I have an older Lincoln 225 amp CCK Onan powered welder. It welds like a dream but the engine is tired and obsolete. Also, it does not have 220 AC power. I have been thinking about buying a new welder that has 220 AC capabilities. Some offer a choice of a Kohler or a Robin engine. I would like to get some opinions as to which is the better choice.

Rik

dda52
09-29-2007, 03:33 PM
Hey, Rik...welcome to the sandbox.:)

Both engines will be a good choice. They both have been around a good long time and have excellent reputations. The kicker for most would be support. It was for me. I had originally wanted the Robin when I got my TB302. Turned out I could get the Kohler two weeks faster, so that is what I did. Good thing too. I started looking and the Robin parts would have been hard fop me to find. The Kohler parts were readily accessible. Even Home Depot has the oil filters.:rolleyes: Look around and see what is around you as far as oil filters, air filters and easy stuff...then look for service enters and such. Whichever has the better support would be the one I'd go with....and did.:D

Archaic
09-29-2007, 03:54 PM
Rik:

I have the same welder - 225 with the CCK Onan. For me, it lays a near perfect arc. I can't really say that I have found any new one that I like better. The Onan parts are a little pricey, but with a little searching you can find them. About five years ago I completely rebuilt my CCK. It is running like a top and I have no doubt will outlast me. Of course, I really have no need for 220 Volt power from a welder. That same engine was used in a Gravely tractor. You can get a wealth of information from the old coots that inhabit the Gravely tractor websites.

Adios-----

Rik
09-29-2007, 05:23 PM
The welder I have I bought used about 20 years ago for $600. It is one of those that uses 24 volts to motor the generator to start. It is, I believe a DC generator instead of an alternator with a rectifier. It does weld really nice. I was thinking of one with 220 V AC so I could run the well during power outages.
I have been thinking about a standby generator but for a little more money I could get a welder and use it as a emergency power as well.
Later, Rick

Arcpower
09-29-2007, 07:42 PM
I have an older Lincoln 225 amp CCK Onan powered welder. It welds like a dream but the engine is tired and obsolete. Also, it does not have 220 AC power. I have been thinking about buying a new welder that has 220 AC capabilities. Some offer a choice of a Kohler or a Robin engine. I would like to get some opinions as to which is the better choice.

Rik

Personally i think the Robin is better, ever our engine driven welder is powered by Kohler CH730, CS10 and CS12, by now most of them are replaced by Robin EH72, EH34 and EH41 that is more durable and powerfull with same price level....
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z137/arcpower/DENOH%20Facotory/DSCF0027.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z137/arcpower/DENOH%20Facotory/RobinEngineWarehouse.jpg

Archaic
09-29-2007, 08:19 PM
Rik:

I bought my 225 used in 1964! I think that it is a 1960 model. Forty-seven year old machine still running. Other than the engine rebuild I have never done anything to it.

We used the two 12 volt batteries to start it for many years, but the batteries were a PITA. The old dog always starts on the second pull of the rope and runs smooth.

Good luck on your new welder.

Adios-----

moe1942
09-30-2007, 08:07 AM
I have a 1960 AEA-200-L Miller welder/generator. I replaced the Onan with a Kohler K301. The problem with the older CCK and CK Onans was the pto side was supported by a babitt bearing instead of a ball bearing. If not used frequently dry starts will wear the babitt to the point of leaking and eventually armature will contact the stator.

Don gave some very good advice. Both engibes mentioned are great but look at service after the sale. I am, however, partial to Kohlers.

I will add that my AEA is a A/C machine and 5K output 120/240. It works as good as a new one and the A/C weld output is as sweet as DC.