PDA

View Full Version : Freon Forge project needs a 30 to 35 PSI Propane Regulator

prowess
09-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Guys:

Now that cooler weather is finally here....

Anyone know of a good inexpensive source online for a decent fixed (preferred) Propane Regulator that delivers 30 to 35 PSI ?

I know there are some variable regs out there, and I can use a Smith or Victor or similar variable, but would really like a simple FIXED 30 or 35 psi for a Freon Forge project I am building.

This is for a FREON bottle converted into a mini forge. You've probably seen the plans or these mini forges for sale on the net. Great way to use the many FREON bottles sittling around doing nothing.

DUAL burner from one hose, 20# propane tank feed. Specs recommend at least 20 psi, but prefer 30 to 35 for optimum forge heating.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

-prowess

toolaholic
09-16-2007, 01:14 PM
One idea, Roofers use adjustable prop. Regs Maybe Harbor Freight or Northern Tools

prowess
09-16-2007, 05:51 PM
Thanks.

Been doing a lot of web surfing trying to find a "plethora" of these high(er) pressure propane regs, and the best site so far has been this one:

http://www.tejassmokers.com/gasregulators.htm

Basically an outdoor smoker/cooker website. Most of these use higher pressure regs to feed the massive burners on big smokers. Higher pressure meaning greater than 20 psi delivery, or MORE than what you'd typically find on a back yard 20 lb. grill reg.

Thought I'd post it just in case anyone else ever needs to find a selection of high pressure regs for propane.

- prowess

petersenj
09-16-2007, 09:53 PM
I have an Al foundry. Propane fired. I bought a 0-60 psi for $25 at Ace Hardware. I bet you have an Ace near you.

prowess
09-16-2007, 10:28 PM
Thanks.

Never expected a "higher' pressure propane reg to be available at an Ace Hardware.

prowess

petersenj
09-17-2007, 01:54 PM
You and me both. I kept putting off building my furnace because I thought I would need to order one and didn't want to deal with all that involves. One day I was at Ace puttering around and there it was.

prowess
09-17-2007, 01:58 PM
thanks again:

I'll pop on over to my local Ace Hardware sometime this week and give it a look-see.

If not, at least I found one online.

-prowess

Joe H
09-17-2007, 02:06 PM
You don't have to use a regulator at all, believe it or not...

A needle valve on the fuel line will control the amount of propane flow. I dont use a regulator on my foundry furnace. I don't use one on any of my jet engine projects either...

I know I'll get some grief in here over this, but there is no safety issue. The pressure in a propane bottle is relatively low, and I can control the flow just fine. On my jets I on't even use the needle valve. I just throttle with the tank valve.

whateg0
09-17-2007, 02:29 PM
I picked up my adjustable regulator at the local propane dealer. I'm not sure I've ever seen a fixed regulator at that pressure, just the ones for the BBQ grill.

Dave

prowess
09-17-2007, 03:47 PM
You're probably right Dave.

I was hoping to find a 30 psi or 35 psi fixed. No need for variable with a small forge.
All I can find online is variable in that pressure delivery range.

You never know, I may find a fixed regulator at ACE or similar that's fixed in that range. Some smoker BBQ's or larger stoves may need that much delivery pressure.

-prowess

whateg0
09-17-2007, 04:51 PM
You're probably right Dave.

I was hoping to find a 30 psi or 35 psi fixed. No need for variable with a small forge.
All I can find online is variable in that pressure delivery range.

You never know, I may find a fixed regulator at ACE or similar that's fixed in that range. Some smoker BBQ's or larger stoves may need that much delivery pressure.

-prowess

I know that once you have everything setup, you probably won't ever need to adjust the pressure again, but it might be useful initially to get everything optimized. Are you making your own burner? I think that variances in burner design might make initial adjustment necessary.

Just a thought.

Dave

prowess
09-17-2007, 06:00 PM
Probably true Dave.

I built the forge out of a (20 lb??) Freon bottle. Standard copper tubing for venture and dual burners from the top. You have probably seen the plans. They are all over the internet.

Anyway, specs on this kit say 30 to 35 psi delivery optimal. No less than 25 psi delivery.

If you go to the link I posted a few responses back, there are lots of adjustables for not too steep a cost.

You may be correct, might be best to have adjustment. Just in case I find that even 35 psi delivery is too shallow.

thanks for the help

-prowess

Joe H:
Just saw your post. Missed it earlier. Yea, I know I probably could go without a regulator, but I always error on the side of safety, or in this case, ON THE SIDE OF MODERN TRADITION. I'll go with the regulator, but I appreciate the post!

- prowess

Joe H
09-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Joe H:
Just saw your post. Missed it earlier. Yea, I know I probably could go without a regulator, but I always error on the side of safety, or in this case, ON THE SIDE OF MODERN TRADITION. I'll go with the regulator, but I appreciate the post!

- prowess

Fair enough.. Just a suggestion. :)
I'm no traditionalist... I tend to go with the simplest setup that works well. In this case, a regulator would be used to control flow of gas, a $5 needle valve will do the same job. The pressure really doesn't matter in this application, as long as it's high enough to force the propane out the fuel jet at a sufficient velocity for entraining air. Also you don't have to step down from a high pressure like with oxygen or shielding gases.

Regulators work just fine too though, for a forge. With some of my engines a regulator simply would not work. For some reason no one makes a regulator that will allow enough flow to empty a 20lb propane tank in 4 minutes.:eek: :D

prowess
09-17-2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks Joe:

Again, I appreciated the post. It's a good idea, Simple and easy.

I took a blacksmith class last year and the guy was running propane from a larger tank (around 100 lbs) into his smaller dual burner forge (like my freon forge) via a needle valve and a cut/off ball valve combo. Actually he had three forges fired up like this. Why waste money and time on regs was his thought.

Sure worked fine!

Anything but a coal forge for me. I don't mind coal forges, just too much work, and I am NOT a traditionalist when it comes to heating my work!