PDA

View Full Version : push pull gun for aluminum

cgronau
08-05-2007, 02:30 PM
I need to get a push pull gun for welding aluminum. Anyone have an opinion on which one to get? I only know of the Miller XR, or the Cobra.
Thanks,
Craig

6gaws
08-05-2007, 10:57 PM
I have used both the Miller and the Cobramatic guns. I really like the Miller gun better. Less wire problems easier to adjust the neck. (last Cobra gun I used had NO neck adjustment, ie swivel) The Miller gun is also lighter as far as weight is concerned. I used these guns when I was working in Seattle at a boat yard that manufactured new Aluminum boats. The Miller gun also ran a lot cooler over an eight hour period of welding consistently at around 40 amps on a three phase machine. These where water cooled,I have never run an air cooled p/p gun so I cannot speak to those.

Best,
6G

hankj
08-06-2007, 12:50 AM
I need to get a push pull gun for welding aluminum. Craig

Absoloutely has to be a P/P? Can't use a spoolgun?

Bummer, if that's so. P/P's are expensive!:eek:

Hank

TRG-42
08-06-2007, 06:03 PM
What do you have for a power supply ??

The cheapest is the Miller XR-Pistol ( looks like a 30A spool gun without the spool ) . The other pistol style is the MKs Prince XL . Both guns are rated at 200amps but I assure you that the Prince xl is better built and beefier ( but also more expensive by $200 ). Tips will last longer in the Prince . The Prince is a superior gun and worth the extra $$ if you want pistol grip

The goosneck styles available are as follows

The Miller Edge and the Python . I have seen too many Edges with problems..especially water cooled. The Python is a superior gun to the edge. Its not that much more $$ to jump to a Python. Think of it this way ...why would Miller who designed the Edge also sell the Python, which is gun that a 3rd party makes and that Lincoln also uses....because its a GOOD gun

With the Cobramatic cabinet, you have the Cobra Max ( replacement to the old Cobra Gold ) and Python. The Python is a only slightly more expensive and the Gold does not have a swiveling gooseneck

Summary, best gun on the market is a Python ( Miller Version and Lincoln / MK version ). The choice between the two is determined by what welder you have already. Air or water cooled depending on your application . The fact that both Miller and Lincoln use it as their top end gun should tell you something.

Downside is the Python gun is about $800 more than the Pistol

For Pistol grip, Prince XL air or water cooled , unless you are dead set on Miller where you only have the one choice

BTW , I have over 30 customers who weld aluminum boats and ships and the most predominant are the water cooled and air cooled Pythons. These guys are all running 3/64 and 1/16 dia a zillion amps no problems

Abicor Binzel is also a player in the PP market

My buddy in MI has a essentially new Cobramatic cabinet with a new Prince XL set up for 42volt Lincoln welder. I can give you his contact info if you want

cgronau
08-06-2007, 09:23 PM
I found out this afternoon I was misled on the price of a push pull setup. Looks like I'll have to settle for a spool gun with control box, or someone suggested a short gun with nylon liner and appropriate rolls on the feeder. Any comments anyone?
Craig

TRG-42
08-06-2007, 10:19 PM
What welder are you trying to put this on ??

cgronau
08-07-2007, 12:21 AM
It's an oldie but goodie(maybe). Hobart RC-300.

johnny_waz
08-07-2007, 08:14 AM
I can vouch for the cobramatic, and miller spool gun. I have both, and prefer the cobramatic for more astetically pleasing welds, and the lightness of the gun. But if in a hurry the spoolgun works just fine, and is alot faster to set up if your mobile. Fatigue is another thing to consider with the spool gun setup, since the wire is inside the gun your holding. If I have to do any prolonged welding i'd never consider a spoolgun.

If you can swing it, the cobramatic TRG is offering would be an excellent setup. Although I think the prince gun has the spool right on the gun to.:(

Brand X
08-07-2007, 10:25 AM
I owned the Miller edge, Python, and the Prince push/pull. If you want the one that fits the hand the best, Python is it. The Prince has one thing going for it, it's simple and very easy to work on. :cool: If you just want to run big rolls of wire off a Tweco or euro back-end feeder, older Hobart/Thermal/Tweco torque assist guns work well too. I never used the Binzel setup, but I bet it's the very best of that group. It looks like a Esab clone on the gun. Just keep the length of the whip down for best feeding on the Hobart/Thermal model.

Portable Welder
08-08-2007, 10:21 AM
I have two miller spool guns that work pretty good and served me well over the years, however for heavy fabrication there is no comparison to my Cobra matic 260 unit with a prince gun on it and just like TRG-42 said theres a reason why miller and lincoln both use cobra matic stuff. That is because they are the bench mark when it comes to Push Pull mig wire feeders.

I just finished a job back in the winter where I had to weld chunks of aluminum that were
7" thick x 24" wide x 5' long and yes I said 5 foot long pcs. All of the pcs got welded to 4" x4" x 1/4" thick tube.
I did have to preheat the big chunks to 450 degrees to go into spray mode but I went through 32 Lbs. of wire and I'm still on the same tip.

I picked this unit up complete with everything but the gas for about $ 3,100.00 if memory serves me right, it was in the show room of my welding supplier for about 3 years and nobody bought it so I got a discounted price and because it wasnt red or blue I think people thought it was a knock off, a generic, but after doing a little research I found it was anything but.

Just my opinion.

angus1x
12-16-2013, 08:17 AM
I notice this thread is a few years old,but wondering what would be the best setup for small farm shop for occasional aluminum welding?
I have a Hobart Brothers Model RC-300,with a Hobart 16BA-3915B wirefeed.
Someone said I could use my wirefeed and just change gas and maby liner.I have no idea.
Any help would be appreciated.
THX,Steve

Northweldor
12-18-2013, 12:33 AM
I notice this thread is a few years old,but wondering what would be the best setup for small farm shop for occasional aluminum welding?
I have a Hobart Brothers Model RC-300,with a Hobart 16BA-3915B wirefeed.
Someone said I could use my wirefeed and just change gas and maby liner.I have no idea.
Any help would be appreciated.
THX,Steve

Your advice is correct, as long as your use is as described. You would need to change and dedicate drive rolls, liner, and contact tip, and keep a short (less than 12') push. A dedicated gun and liner would be best. The discussion above includes some pretty expert advice on the push-pull solution.

angus1x
03-16-2014, 05:52 AM
After looking at some options for push put aluminum,I decided to go with suitcase feeder with extension cord to the feeder.Bought an HOBART HEFTY CC/CV PORTABLE SUITCASE WIRE FEEDER with TWECO Style MIG GUN ,Idem# 231168833109 on e-bay if anyone cares to look.
Sure hope this will work out for alum. welding.Will have to see how it will handle the wire and experiment with flux core for light stuff without argon,and keep on lookout for gas tank for argon.
This is all new to me with mig welding,I'm an old school stick welder(self learned) back in the 60ies and never even tried a mig until a year or so ago.My son has really picked up on using it,but seems like it comes easier for younger folk to learn if you can build their interest in something.
Don't mean to ramble but want to say I really like reading on this forum and think it's the best welding info. out there .
Any info on pushing alumiam wire will be help full.
Thx for ur time,Angus

Northweldor
03-17-2014, 08:40 AM
After looking at some options for push put aluminum,I decided to go with suitcase feeder with extension cord to the feeder.Bought an HOBART HEFTY CC/CV PORTABLE SUITCASE WIRE FEEDER with TWECO Style MIG GUN ,Idem# 231168833109 on e-bay if anyone cares to look.
Sure hope this will work out for alum. welding.Will have to see how it will handle the wire and experiment with flux core for light stuff without argon,and keep on lookout for gas tank for argon.
This is all new to me with mig welding,I'm an old school stick welder(self learned) back in the 60ies and never even tried a mig until a year or so ago.My son has really picked up on using it,but seems like it comes easier for younger folk to learn if you can build their interest in something.
Don't mean to ramble but want to say I really like reading on this forum and think it's the best welding info. out there .
Any info on pushing alumiam wire will be help full.
Thx for ur time,Angus

The basic info from Hobart is available by clicking on "E-Learning above, and Esab U has more.