PDA

View Full Version : What shade lens to use?

firestorm13666
03-23-2007, 09:40 PM
I am been messing around with this little HF Mig welder i was given that i am running flux core in.After i did some work to it so i can run flux core in it i am having a problem.The problem i am having is i think the lens will not suffice for my eyes.I have 20/20 and my eyes are sensitive to light and after a few minutes of welding i can see a little red dot in my flied of vision,and it says there for ten or so minutes.The hood i have is a Jackson with what i think it a number 10 shade.So i need advice on what shade i should go with to save my eyes.Thanks

whateg0
03-23-2007, 09:58 PM
I am been messing around with this little HF Mig welder i was given that i am running flux core in.After i did some work to it so i can run flux core in it i am having a problem.The problem i am having is i think the lens will not suffice for my eyes.I have 20/20 and my eyes are sensitive to light and after a few minutes of welding i can see a little red dot in my flied of vision,and it says there for ten or so minutes.The hood i have is a Jackson with what i think it a number 10 shade.So i need advice on what shade i should go with to save my eyes.Thanks

Depends to a degree on the type of hood. You didn't mention autodark, so I'm guessing it isn't. You can try a darker lens. They're pretty cheap. Also make sure you aren't getting light leakage, though I don't think it would manifest itself as a dot in the middle. I think the general rule is whatever you are comfortable with. Just make sure it's light enough to see the puddle. How many amps are you using?

You might try the Harbor Freight $50 AD hood. It's variable shade, so it's easy to go a little darker or lighter. And since AD hoods use a separate lens for the UV/IR protection, it will always be sufficient, though I don't know how much UV gets through a standard shade 5 lens.

Just my 2.5 cents.

Dave

Goodhand
03-24-2007, 12:21 AM

Is your hood an auto-dark that isn't changing shade with the arc initiation?

Sully2
03-24-2007, 08:21 AM

I run my Jackson AD hood...with a setting between 10 and 11. You MIGHT..?...be getting what you are getting because your staring directly at the "arc"...instead of the puddle and the parent material around / near the puddle.

Pumpkinhead
03-24-2007, 10:47 AM
Mr. Storm,
I don't know your level of welding prowess, but it seems Sully2 has hit the nail on the head, if you are new to welding, you are probably concentrating on the arc too intently, relax, you're welding with the electrode, not your laser vision, that is if you posess laser vision, and if you did the filter would block it anyway. (haw)

firestorm13666
03-24-2007, 11:45 AM
The hood is just a fixed lens one no AD here.I might be looking at the arc but i don't think i am,because i am watching the puddel form using a drag technique going from left to right.Like i was saying my eyes are sensitive to the point i can see the glow of heat off of my tv at night after i turn it off and other things like that.Thanks

Sourdough
03-24-2007, 12:35 PM
I have 20/10 in both eyes and run my nexgen on 9 in the field, 10 in the shop. Maybe spend the money on a good auto hood if you can. It's worth every penny.

Sully2
03-24-2007, 02:03 PM
The hood is just a fixed lens one no AD here.I might be looking at the arc but i don't think i am,because i am watching the puddel form using a drag technique going from left to right.Like i was saying my eyes are sensitive to the point i can see the glow of heat off of my tv at night after i turn it off and other things like that.Thanks

Buy 2 or 3 different shade lenses and swap them around. Cyberweld has them for Jacksons for a whopping sum of $1.50 each...shades from 9 to 14

firestorm13666
03-24-2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks.Well as long as we are talkign about safety what about respirators?I would like one that would fit under a hood that has replacable filters.Thanks

Mr Meck
03-24-2007, 08:52 PM
If you see spots after welding you need a darker shade lense period. I cannot use a 9 at all. A shade 10 and I can see spots dimmly if I close my eyes. So a shade 11 gets rid of the spots for me. Even though you can focus on the puddle the light from the arc still gets to the eye. So darken up shade at a time till they go away. And I have a 12 and 14 in the drawer for those big hot welds.