PDA

View Full Version : Miller 210 vs HTP 2400

BobTaylor
03-20-2007, 09:24 AM
Hi everyone, I am interested in stepping up from an 85 mig made in China to a 200 plus amp machine. Will be welding everything from auto body to trailer chasis - boats and auto trailer. Very seriously thinking about Miller 210, but the HTP with 24 heat settings and little better price, and inverter arc are really appealing. Expect some out of positon welding. This will be a shop machine - not going in the back of a truck. I would be very interested in your opinions (performance and durability - I don't care if I have to send for parts or send back machine) regarding these two machines, as well as Lincoln and Thermadyne. Thanks to all.

Sundown
03-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Hi everyone, I am interested in stepping up from an 85 mig made in China to a 200 plus amp machine. Will be welding everything from auto body to trailer chasis - boats and auto trailer. Very seriously thinking about Miller 210, but the HTP with 24 heat settings and little better price, and inverter arc are really appealing. Expect some out of positon welding. This will be a shop machine - not going in the back of a truck. I would be very interested in your opinions (performance and durability - I don't care if I have to send for parts or send back machine) regarding these two machines, as well as Lincoln and Thermadyne. Thanks to all.

There are a few who have the HTP machine and have said good things about them and the sevice from HTP, you will find much more information here about the MM210 here and all of it good. There is also a bit of information on the EASB 250 (nothing on the smaller migs though) but you will need to do a search to get it as it is scattered in verious threads. Not hardly any information on Lincoln or Thermadyne, sounds like you will need to test drive your choices to be sure of what will work for you ... my advice would be to get a MM210 and don't look back, and yes I am a happy MM210 owner.

precisionworks
03-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Try the MIG 2400 for 90 days ... return it if you don't like it. They hardly get any back:rolleyes:

Try the MM210 for 90 days ... return it if you don't like it:eek:

patrickmcveigh
03-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Doubt very much if you could go wrong with either the HTP or the MM210. I really like the arc on my 210, thing practically runs itself on anything I've tried. Done a LOT of thin body-stuff with it, never really gone over 1/4" though, so perhaps someone else could comment on that end of things....

garfish
03-20-2007, 01:52 PM
If you search 'HTP' on this board you will find lots of threads praising the machines. If you call them, about 1/2 the time you speak to the head guy, Jeff Nolan. My read, from talking to them, is that they will work with you to make you happy. Kind of place that operates on a handshake. I bought a MM210 last spring (it was a Miller demo unit with full warranty for a great price), but would have bought the HTP2400 if I hadn't come across this particular machine. I sometimes think about the HTP when as a hack hobbyist I can't dial in just right and wonder if I had 24 heat settings would that little tweak set me right in the sweet spot.

BobTaylor
03-20-2007, 02:28 PM
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and recommendations. I called HTP. They actually recommended their MIG 200 for my use - as it has a better "bottom end" and a throughly "proven design" (their impressions not mine).

With the price difference now growing between the MM210 and the HTP product, someone needs to make a compeling case for the MM 210. I appreciate it that everyone loves their machines, but if I can find "true love" for 20% less - well...

Sundown
03-20-2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and recommendations. I called HTP. They actually recommended their MIG 200 for my use - as it has a better "bottom end" and a throughly "proven design" (their impressions not mine).

With the price difference now growing between the MM210 and the HTP product, someone needs to make a compeling case for the MM 210. I appreciate it that everyone loves their machines, but if I can find "true love" for 20% less - well...

Thats what lotsa guys say, the day before they say I do :eek: :D ;)

precisionworks
03-20-2007, 04:54 PM
someone needs to make a compeling case for the MM 210

I shopped hard before buying the HTP machine. Four years & countless spools later, HTP has never let me down - before, during & after the sale.

Goodness knows the MM210 is a top-end machine, loved by all who use them. Never read a bad report about that machine. It does cost more, and you may get more back when you sell it, down the road.

The MIG2400 & the MIG200 both feature 24 heat settings. You're easily able to dial in the 'sweet spot' on any material within the range of the machine. Nice, especially, when out-of-position.

A very good buy at $1069, about $400 less than the MM210. I wouldn't pay more for the Miller (should say I didn't pay more for the Miller), but that's just me. If you have the extra cash, the MM210 is a no- brainer.

Sundown
03-20-2007, 07:24 PM
I shopped hard before buying the HTP machine. Four years & countless spools later, HTP has never let me down - before, during & after the sale.

Goodness knows the MM210 is a top-end machine, loved by all who use them. Never read a bad report about that machine. It does cost more, and you may get more back when you sell it, down the road.

The MIG2400 & the MIG200 both feature 24 heat settings. You're easily able to dial in the 'sweet spot' on any material within the range of the machine. Nice, especially, when out-of-position.

A very good buy at $1069, about $400 less than the MM210. I wouldn't pay more for the Miller (should say I didn't pay more for the Miller), but that's just me. If you have the extra cash, the MM210 is a no- brainer.

Well said, Barry. :) BTW, does that $1069 cover the shipping also? If not then the $363 difference from BRWelders gets wittled down some more. Funny thing about spending a bit more money on something I wanted, the remorse only seemed to last a few minutes after I got it in my hands. Then again I don't see being unhappy with any of the choices, although I am a professed Hobart first, then Miller, then Lincoln, then ESAB, then Thermal Arc, depending of course on what I am looking to buy, in that order, person. Good job there are lots of choices, the same thing certinly wouldn't work for everyone.

Caliber
03-20-2007, 07:48 PM
Very seriously thinking about Miller 210, but the HTP with 24 heat settings and little better price, and inverter arc are really appealing. .

The 2400 HTP is not an inverter. By the way it is a good buy, I have a Invertig 201 and am pleased with it.

whateg0
03-20-2007, 07:53 PM
...Funny thing about spending a bit more money on something I wanted, the remorse only seemed to last a few minutes after I got it in my hands. ...

That's how I feel about the MM180. I don't find myself wondering, "What if I'da bought the Hobart..." but I would bought it.

Dave

BobTaylor
03-20-2007, 08:17 PM
My mistake on concluding it was an inverter - the main transformer is so small in the picture HTP has of the inside of the machine, that I assumed incorrectly.

Shipping is an additional fee - paid by the buyer. I don't know how much it costs yet. The 20% duty cycle at 200 amps concerns me a little - HTP claims that it has never been a problem. The 24 heat settings is a real draw, of course with 24 heat settings I lose the ability to blame the machine for bad welds.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts.

Sundown
03-20-2007, 11:54 PM
My mistake on concluding it was an inverter - the main transformer is so small in the picture HTP has of the inside of the machine, that I assumed incorrectly.

Shipping is an additional fee - paid by the buyer. I don't know how much it costs yet. The 20% duty cycle at 200 amps concerns me a little - HTP claims that it has never been a problem. The 24 heat settings is a real draw, of course with 24 heat settings I lose the ability to blame the machine for bad welds.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts.

Too many choices can be a problem also, at least for me it sometimes is :o. 20% at 200 amps, hopefully you will not need to use full power much, the MM210 is 35% at 200 amps ... better but I like 100% at full power, just can't afford it.

garfish
03-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Don't forget to deal. If it is down to the ship charge, will they work with you on that? I have a friend who has loads of money and that is because he deals on everything. Bought a mtn bike recently, so he waits until the shop is empty, says I'll buy today but you gotta cut the price (was $750) and boom they came down, and he loaded it up and drove home. Nearly everything is price negotiable if the moment is right and the parties are motivated. What I figure I owe the vendor is not to blab all around town about my deal, otherwise the price goes up 10%, so it can come down 5% next time.

precisionworks
03-21-2007, 05:23 PM
If it is down to the ship charge, will they work with you on that?

Like many smaller companies, HTP values every sale. They'll go out of their way to earn your business.

I ordered (at one time) the 240 amp MIG, the 201 amp Invertig, six bottles (big 'uns, 330 CF), wire, filler, an autodark helmet (the first of three), etc. The only stipulation was that I could never reveal how good a deal they gave me ... it doesn't cost anything to ask.

BobTaylor
03-21-2007, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the negotiating suggestions. They quoted me $95 shipping to a freight depot 12 miles away. Didn't sound like a great deal and brings the HTP to within $200 of Miller 210. Some have suggested that the Miller would keep more of it's original value than the HTP, so makes it even a harder decision. Don't know what I'm going to do. I could just stick to my stick welder - but...

cope
03-21-2007, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the negotiating suggestions. They quoted me $95 shipping to a freight depot 12 miles away. Didn't sound like a great deal and brings the HTP to within $200 of Miller 210. Some have suggested that the Miller would keep more of it's original value than the HTP, so makes it even a harder decision. Don't know what I'm going to do. I could just stick to my stick welder - but...

That's a tough decision. You may never need to resell whichever machine you get, but the Miller will definately be the better unit for resale. I have never heard a complaint from a HTP owner, but you don't hear many people trying to sell their MM210 either. If you are really leaning toward the HTP, call them back and try to speak to Jeff Noland. If they won't budge, at least you tried.

Mike W
03-21-2007, 07:41 PM
I wouldn't worry about the resale value. If it is a good machine and has enough capacity, you will probably keep it forever. I have never felt any urge to sell my old Hobart.

Dan
03-21-2007, 08:47 PM
Bob you're making this way to complicated.:)

I'll help you out.:D The MM 210 is a solid unit, with a great track record,and is built in Wisconsin by American workers.:cool: Order one and be done with this.:D

That HTP unit is an import, out Italy if I remember correctly. Could be a good unit. But when there is a sold American built unit available, I'm all for helping out my fellow Americans.

precisionworks
03-23-2007, 05:28 PM
... brings the HTP to within $200 of Miller 210...

Are you getting the Miller pricing from your LWS, or from an Internet store? My guess is Internet, as the LWS prices are typcially higher.

From any of the Internet discounters, you're on your own if you ever need service. Doesn't matter if the name on the machine is Miller, Hobart, Lincoln, etc. They make a bare minimum markup, and the sale is done, as far as they're concerned, when your credit card clears.

You'll normally get much better service with your LWS, even though it costs more initially. This can and will vary from store to store.

HTP's service is second to none. Search HTP on this board & on Miller for a number of examples. The company is small enough to pay attention to each customer, large enough to take quick action when needed.

largely
03-23-2007, 11:11 PM
I don't have an HTP welder so I can't comment about them.(got a Synchrowave 350) I do have an HTP plasma cutter and autodark helmet. Also some small stuff. (nozzle gel, heat dam, etc.) Service has always been first rate and the products flawless. When I ordered my plasma cutter they were out of stock and I had to wait two days extra for them to ship (no big deal to me) but Jeff threw in a maintaince kit for the inconvenience without me even asking.