PDA

View Full Version : Wrap regulator threads with teflon tape ?

bob carwell
02-23-2007, 10:57 AM
When installing regulators on oxy, acet, or propane bottles, are you supposed to first wrap the regulator threads with teflon tape or do anything else ? And is there a preferred torque or just common sense tight ?
And one other question: I have read to stand away from the regulator when turning it on in case it ruptures, but have never understood what "away" means exactly. Do you stand away from the faceplate or dial of the regulator (e.g. does the diaphragm come zinging out the face plate ?), or do you not stand in line with the hose outlet ports or what ?

Bob

Zrexxer
02-23-2007, 11:08 AM
When installing regulators on oxy, acet, or propane bottles, are you supposed to first wrap the regulator threads with teflon tape or do anything else ?
Let's see.. No, no, no, no, and oh yeah... NO! Never use teflon tape or any other sealant on cylinders. The threads do not seal a CGA fitting, the fitting itself does. If the fitting doesn't seal, it's a) loose b) dirty or c) damaged.

And one other question: I have read to stand away from the regulator when turning it on in case it ruptures, but have never understood what "away" means exactly. Do you stand away from the faceplate or dial of the regulator (e.g. does the diaphragm come zinging out the face plate ?), or do you not stand in line with the hose outlet ports or what ? BobPut the cylinder valve between you and the regulator and you'll be in about as safe a position as you're going to get.

enlpck
02-23-2007, 11:37 AM
And how tight? tight enough not to leak, but no tighter. Snug the nut by hand while holdeing the regulator, *gently* rocking and rotating to get the fitting seated. Then snug, crack cyl valve to leak check (using leak check solution---I just use a soap solution for everything, but on oxygen you are supposed to use and approved solution) and snug more if it leaks.

bob carwell
02-23-2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks guys. I took a welding class at Jr College and have just got my rig ready to start playing, and am extremely safety conscious thanks to the class. But since they already had the gas supplied at the work stations with manifolds they never covered this. Thanks again for taking the time with a newb.

Bob

Clay Walters
02-23-2007, 02:25 PM
Bob,

While you never use teflon tape on a CGA (or Inert Gas fitting) you may use it on an NTP theaded fitting that mounts to the regulator. (ie..the hose barb fitting) Atleast, the Argon and Argon/blend regulators I've seen. I've had to remove/replace some and I figure if the factory uses it there; so do I. It would be nice if the literature that accompanied the regulators would specify when & where a person should do this. Kind of like a guage that clearly says "No Oil" where another may not. Seems I've heard that oil is a no-no on oxygen connections and so far every regulator I've seen for oxygen has been so marked.

Regards,

Clay

enlpck
02-23-2007, 04:02 PM
Bob,

While you never use teflon tape on a CGA (or Inert Gas fitting) you may use it on an NTP theaded fitting that mounts to the regulator. (ie..the hose barb fitting) Atleast, the Argon and Argon/blend regulators I've seen. I've had to remove/replace some and I figure if the factory uses it there; so do I. It would be nice if the literature that accompanied the regulators would specify when & where a person should do this. Kind of like a guage that clearly says "No Oil" where another may not. Seems I've heard that oil is a no-no on oxygen connections and so far every regulator I've seen for oxygen has been so marked.

Regards,

Clay

Oxy fittings get a special tape or dope that is oxygen safe on the tapered threads. It is NOT standard teflon tape. Other gasses arn't so critical, but you want to be REAL careful, because if you get even a tiny bit of tape into the regulator, it WILL cause problems somewhere.

Sberry
02-24-2007, 09:13 AM
Also open high pressure bottles slowly. Ease them open.

Conrad_Turbo
02-24-2007, 11:18 AM
Oxy fittings get a special tape or dope that is oxygen safe on the tapered threads. It is NOT standard teflon tape. Other gasses arn't so critical, but you want to be REAL careful, because if you get even a tiny bit of tape into the regulator, it WILL cause problems somewhere.

I'm not too familiar with this type of special tape, but with the regular teflon tape you can get it in a liquid variant. I prefer the liquid over the tape anyday (in automotive uses) since the thread fibers from the tape can help clog up filters, injectors and carb needles. While as the liquid just dissolves and doesn't do anything. However it is still best not to get any of the sealant in the system in the first place of course.

tspmax
02-24-2007, 09:43 PM
No pipe tape, no pipe dope no how. It is made to seal without, if not you have a fit issue that needs to be fixed.