PDA

View Full Version : Hobart 650 Mega Mig

MYSTORES
05-30-2003, 08:32 PM
I have a chance to buy a 650 Mega Mig..3 phase. My best guess is at 208 volts wide open.. it probably draws about 100 amps???????????? My service to location is only 60 amp 3 phase and to rewire will cost way to much.. I'll never use anything over 300 amps and to date rarely go past 220 or so on my old P&H.. Its on a 30 amp breaker and has never tripped yet.. If I don't crank this big baby up.. will it stay in the 50 amp range.. Was this a good welder??? Thanks :confused: :confused:

echo8287
06-01-2003, 11:34 PM
If you had or could borrow a clamp on amp meter,you could clamp it around each wire and check the amperage draw as you ramp up the welder. You would probably have to have a helper to do this as you would have to be welding and the helper would have to watch the meter. You might have to open your panel>BE CAREFUL> and clamp around each wire individually to check the amperage,you cannot clamp it around the entire wire. I don't know if you have any experiance with a amp meter. This will give you the actual amps that are drawn on the wire at the setting you have the welder on. 3 phase is much more efficient and doesn't need as large wire,or breaker size to give more power than a 220 setup.Hope this helps.echo8287

Hobart Expert Rock
06-02-2003, 07:30 AM
MYSTORES..........THAT PARTICULAR UNIT WAS MANUFACTURED FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS.........IF YOU CAN ROUND ME UP THE SERIAL NUMBER I CAN SEE WHAT THE AMPERAGE DRAW ACTUALLY IS.......... THE LATER VERSIONS WERE MORE EFFICIENT THAN THE OLD VERSIONS AND DREW LESS AMPERAGE.............. WHAT KIND OF WIRE FEEDER IS ON THE MACHINE..................ROCK........:cool:
SSCOTT@MILLERWELDS.COM

MYSTORES
06-02-2003, 06:55 PM
Thanks Scott..for the usefull information. I'm passing on the welder.. but if anyone needs a good deal on a 650 Hobart.. E-mail me and I'll pass the name on.. I bought 3 feeders from the owner and am quite pleased. I just don't have the amperage to run this mule.. All Good.. Mike:cool: :) :p