PDA

View Full Version : Scrounging gas cylinders for gongs

Winger Ed.
01-05-2006, 12:36 AM
Years ago, one of my long time customers got ahold of several large welding gas cylinders, maybe 20 or so of them from a supply house that'd gone broke and auctioned everything off. At the time he was rebuilding cars, and thier shop used alot of the stuff. He got them cheap enough that they used them and just scraped out the empty cylinders when the pile of them got pretty big.

A few years ago, he retired from rebuilding, and no longer welds. I'd remembered seeing several of the old tanks still in the back of the shop gathering dust a year or so ago. Figuring they were empty, I went to visit and ask to buy them (on the cheap) to make gongs out of, or maybe a really big set of wind chimes. He just holled at a couple of his guys and said, "Load all them old cylinders in the back of his truck".

I got them for free. Got home, cracked the valves, and they hissed. Put a pressure guage on the three Argon/C02 cylinders (only 2 pictured) and all 3 came up to 15,000 psi.

Hadn't put a guage on the 3 Acetelyne tanks, but they sound pretty full too from just cracking the valve.

The CO2 tanks are still destined to be gongs, but I sure got a lot of MIG welding to do with them first.

I just had to pass on this bit of good fortune, and say--- "Eat your heart out Hotfoot"!!! LOL

Burl
01-05-2006, 12:50 AM
Nice to hear of your good fortune. Free/cheap stuff is everywhere just have to make the right connection. Any spare acetelyne tank you want to part with for cheap? I'm local and running on propane currently for cutting.

Thanks,

Burl

MAC702
01-05-2006, 01:10 AM
Put a pressure guage on the three Argon/C02 cylinders (only 2 pictured) and all 3 came up to 15,000 psi.
I'm assuming you mean 1500 psi, which would be about 3/4 full...

Winger Ed.
01-05-2006, 01:15 AM
Let me put a guage on them and get back to ya tomorrow nite Burl.

I darn near don't ever cut with a torch. I've had one of those little Acet. tanks about the size of a Coke bottle that's lasted me for 2 years, and it ain't empty yet. And a 3 year old (full) 'B' tank I haven't even opened yet.

If they have decent pressure, bring beer & take 'em home. They won't make gongs due to that 'rock' looking stuff they have inside, and even I'm worried about cutting on flamable gas cylinders.

Winger Ed.
01-05-2006, 01:24 AM
I'm assuming you mean 1500 psi, which would be about 3/4 full...

Now that you mention it, that does sound awful high, so I went and checked.

Without my glasses, I was reading that metric/kilogram scale since the numbers were larger. Looking at the psi scale under it, the reading would be ,,,, or is,, just a tad bit over 2,000 psi.

With 3 of them bad boys that full, I think it'll be awhile before I buy another roll if innershield wire.

Fishy Jim
01-05-2006, 08:31 AM
2000psi is **** near full, but there's one slight problem - you don't have any gongs out of it. :p

j/k I got a free 124ci cylinder when I posted an add on CL looking for old tanks. It still had 11mo's on it's cert, but I needed to swap the valve to use it for 98/2, so it's out for hydro testing now before revalving.

Nice score on those!

Winger Ed.
01-06-2006, 12:42 AM
but there's one slight problem - you don't have any gongs out of it. :p

j!

I haven't bought CO2mix in anything but those little SCUBA tank looking/sized bottles. But I figured out pretty quick that these things being full, have a very valuable amount (by my standards) of gas in them............. So the gongs project will just have to wait on these 3. LOL

Burl,
It was a hectic and late day---- I actually had to go in and work at my old job, then interview for my new part time welding job. So far, I've had one day (yesterday) to enjoy 'retirement'..... But, I'll put a guage on the other 3 Acte. tanks and get back to ya tomorrow.

Burl
01-06-2006, 04:10 PM
Winger Ed,

Thank You in advance, I'm not picky, I'd take an acetylene tank empty or full. I just hate to buy yet another tank, at welding shop prices, when I currently just use the torch for cutting and propane works fine. Acetylene tank is just a luxury if I find one cheap.

Burl

bgoodman
01-06-2006, 11:29 PM
If you want to get rid of one of those acet cylinders, I need one to learn on.