PDA

View Full Version : Uses for R134 bottles

Hotfoot
12-04-2005, 05:52 PM
I keep trying to think of ways to use those R134 bottles that are free by the truckload! This is one I cut in two with the plasma, then torched the paint off with my giant propane torch. One's a planter, One's a gong (it'll have a round plywood clapper when I get ablade for my bandsaw). Simple, but they'll sell! (folks like the rusty stuff!)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/byeboy/r1344.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/byeboy/R1342.jpg
:)

toolaholic
12-05-2005, 09:08 AM
add a grill, nice little barby. add a little seat, life saving porta -potty :D

soup pot

RustedJunk
12-05-2005, 10:26 AM
Flying pigs?

dda52
12-05-2005, 10:57 AM
Canyon Lake deer feeders maybe? Dog bowls? Hard hats? :eek: Fancy mailboxes?

miestro_jerry
12-05-2005, 11:03 AM
I cut them at the horizotal center line, make a handle from 1/4 rod and give them to local scouts as a cook pot.

I like the pig idea.

Jerry

RustedJunk
12-06-2005, 08:05 AM
There are two different types of freon bottle, one has a bottom with four dimples and the other has three.
For a pig I like the three dimple bottom, heat and shrink one dimple until it is flush, heat around the other two and whack with a ball peen hammer.
For a piggy bank use a tank where the pressure relief patch lines up even between the eyes. Take out the patch with a hole saw, cram a large cork in the hole, cut a slot in the top and bingo, very large metal piggy bank.

RustedJunk
12-06-2005, 08:07 AM
Rear engine prop flying pig.

RustedJunk
12-06-2005, 08:09 AM
Harley hog made with old air tank an a kids bike.

Sundown
12-06-2005, 08:29 AM
Those pigs are fuunnny!, but I told myself a long time ago that I wouldn't weld on propane bottles :eek: :eek:

toolaholic
12-06-2005, 09:05 AM
are some of those freon tanks?

Hotfoot
12-06-2005, 09:17 AM
Those are all non-flamable freon tanks, Sundown. Hey, RJ, looks like you're 'hogging up" all the tanks in your area! Those are very clever! 'gave me some ideas... :)

RustedJunk
12-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Gathered up fifty in 3 stops on my way to the shop, they are happy to help load if you are willing to haul them off.

WARNING: Sometime back the valve style was changed so you couldnt refill the tanks with freon or use them as homemade air tanks.
Valve open, bone dry empty tank will still spew freon in your face when cut.
Make a small cut outside with the wind to your back and leave it alone till it purges.

gnewby
12-06-2005, 05:14 PM
I have used 3 of them so far for various projects. The first I used for making a oil pot for my wood burning stove in my shop. It works pretty good and hold a gal or so of oil with no problem I can pinch down the valve on the oil tank so i get a pretty good drip of oil for the fire.

The second one I made a lid for the wife's Chimneau or how ever it is spelled. I don't know if I would actual call it a lid as much as I would a cover to keep the rain out.

The third one I used for fashioning a urnal for the shop plumbed it with a line going outside works good and saves on having to leave the shop for making restroom stops.

Sundown
12-06-2005, 07:07 PM
Those are all non-flamable freon tanks, Sundown. Hey, RJ, looks like you're 'hogging up" all the tanks in your area! Those are very clever! 'gave me some ideas... :)

Duh :o , guess I better look closer next time, BTW where do you go to get those things, I might like to make a few pigs for my border collie to herd. :eek:

Hotfoot
12-09-2005, 04:50 PM
Ask at any garage that does AC work on cars. They'll have droves of them.

Silverback
12-18-2005, 04:39 PM
Gathered up fifty in 3 stops on my way to the shop, they are happy to help load if you are willing to haul them off.

WARNING: Sometime back the valve style was changed so you couldnt refill the tanks with freon or use them as homemade air tanks.
Valve open, bone dry empty tank will still spew freon in your face when cut.
Make a small cut outside with the wind to your back and leave it alone till it purges.

OK, I've been wondering about that (and I have a few of them sitting around), what exactly about them makes them bad for use as an air tank?