PDA

View Full Version : oxy-gasoline cutting torch available

opetrol
05-07-2003, 09:35 AM
cutting steel with an oxy-fuel torch? Replace it with the oxy-gasoline torch, safe, handy and saving 90% of acetylene cost. visit http://www.opetrol.com for more info.

Hobart Expert Rock
05-07-2003, 10:08 AM
OPETROL...........GENTLEMEN THIS IS NOT AN ADVERTISEING SPOT FOR YOU................I'M GOING TO EDIT OUT PART OF YOUR SENTANCE BUT WILL LEAVE YOUR POST......... WE WILL COMPARE AND SEE........ APROACH THIS AS IF TO COMPARE AND YOUR WELCOME TO STAY HERE...........WE HAVE DISCUSSED YOUR PRODUCT BEFORE HERE......... WELCOME ABOARD..................ROCK............. SSCOTT@MILLERWELDS.COM

Mike Sherman
05-07-2003, 03:19 PM
I have seen their posts on other boards Rock and usually they are trying to sell them. I would welcome a discussion on the merits of this unit. Very little real information is ever given out on them. I have never found the cost of acetylene to be the overriding decision on the type of torch I buy. It is usually based on the quality and overall versatility of the tool.

cope
05-07-2003, 03:24 PM
Mike, Acetylene, properly stored is relatively safe in cylinders, whereas gasoline in a welding shop is dangerous. Wonder where they propose you keep your fuel.

I have a problem with spam, unless it comes in a can.

Roger
05-07-2003, 03:30 PM
Here is link to US company selling about the same product. As I remember old disscussion their system cost $700.00 which kept anyone from causual buying to see how it worked.

http://www.petrogen.com/

Franz
05-07-2003, 07:14 PM
I've seen the thing, and if I was blowing rivets out of bridge steel, or cutting T1 armor all day, I might consider having a Chapin Sprayer full of gas under pressure a good idea. I'd also be thinking about LOX and Propane or Maap.
Since I ain't doing that kind of work, I just consider this to be part of the current crop of free ads that are turining up on a lot of boards. Must be an ad agency has a new concept they are selling.
Now, may I intrest any of you gentlemen in a nice solar powered lo operating cost laundry drier kit for the wife, only $29.95 plus postage and handling. It comes complete with instructions for assembly, and can be installed by a 12 year old kid.

opetrol
05-07-2003, 09:59 PM
Thank you every gentleman for your interest. Actually we are thinking of producing this new product in the states or Europe. OPetrol is a more advanced product comparing to Petrogen in its safety and overall performance. WE appreciate all kinds of comments from you experts.

Rocky D
05-07-2003, 10:30 PM
I can't get used to having liquid gasoline in my hand, let alone using a Chi-Com torch. I researched it the last time it came up, too. Lot of draw backs....one was having to pump it up all the time. I guess I've been in this game too long to switch, now.:( :rolleyes:

Scott V
05-08-2003, 12:40 AM
Rocky D it sounds like you want to stay in the game a little while longer also!.:eek:

Planet X
05-08-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by opetrol
Thank you every gentleman for your interest. Actually we are thinking of producing this new product in the states or Europe. OPetrol is a more advanced product comparing to Petrogen in its safety and overall performance. WE appreciate all kinds of comments from you experts.

"OPetrol" hmm sounds French, me-thinks finding a European niche most logical.:p

Hobart Expert Rock
05-08-2003, 06:18 AM
OPETROL.......... IS PETROGEN A DIRECT COMPETITOR AND HOW DOES YOURS DIFFER FROM THEIRS........... YOU MENTIONED SAFETY CAN YOU EXPLAIN HOW YOURS IS BETTER...... OR IN OTHER WORDS WHAT ADDED SAFETY FEATURES DO YOU HAVE THAT THEY DO NOT.....................BE SAFE NOW..........ROCK.... :cool:
SSCOTT@MILLERWELDS.COM

Arbo
05-08-2003, 06:42 AM
Maybe OPetrol would supply a working sample to one of us on this forum for testing, and unbiased opinions. I see no better way to prove your product than to actually give somebody a chance to use one.

cope
05-08-2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Rocky D
I can't get used to having liquid gasoline in my hand, let alone using a Chi-Com torch. I researched it the last time it came up, too. Lot of draw backs....one was having to pump it up all the time. I guess I've been in this game too long to switch, now.:( :rolleyes:

Rocky, I have a Coleman stove that I'm not using. How hard would it be to adapt it to O2?;) Its nice and compact, would be the Henrob of O2/Gasoline torches.;)

opetrol
05-08-2003, 08:17 AM
oPetrol vs Petrogen
1. the gasoline is atomized at the oPetrol tip, and vaporized at the Petrogen tip. OPetrol is a new generation of oxy-gasoline cutting technology. There is no smoke, nor dripping of gasoline during oPetrol¡¯s ignition and operation. Less pollution and more fuel saving.
2, the oPetrol gasoline tank is specially designed and filled in with military explosion-repressig material. The tank is safe even the operator light a fire at its gasoline filling mouth when the tank is full of gasoline.
3. the oPetrol gasoline tank is made for a constant fueling pressure. It needs to be pumped only once each time refilling the gasoline. Once filled and pumped to the required pressure, the whole tank of gasoline can be used.
4. oPetrol can be used for welding and brazing.

Hobart Expert Rock
05-08-2003, 08:51 AM
HI OPETROL........ONE MORE QUESTION THEN OTHERS CAN CHIME IN........... WHAT IS THE MAXIMUM PRESSURE REQUIRED TO PUMP UP THE TANK...........?.......... WILL THE PRESSURE STAY IN IT IF I START THE JOB ONE DAY AND COME BACK TO FINISH UP THE SECOND DAY.................. AND WOULD YOU BE WILLING TO LET ONE OF THE FOLKS ON THIS SITE BE A TEST SITE FOR YOUR COMPONENTS...........YOUR CALL................ OR DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE SOMEONE IN THE UNITED STATES USEING YOUR PRODUCT THAT WOULD LIKE TO COME ON BOARD HERE AND DISCUSS...... PLEASE DO NOT INVITE A SALESMAN FROM YOUR COMPANY..... ONLY A CUSTOMER............................ROCK.......... .......:cool: SSCOTT@MILLERWELDS.COM

Arbo
05-08-2003, 09:35 AM
I am also involved at work as a HazMat Tech. Another concern that came to mind is an expanding vapor explosion. (If you have ever left a gas can sit in the sun while you are mowing the lawn, you know what I'm referring to. I've seen them blow up like a balloon.) If you pressurize the tank to a desired PSI and are using it outside on a hot summer day, the pressure will certainly rise inside of that tank. I would also be wary of a pressure relief valve on such a tank, as it would certainly expel vaporized gasoline into a potential area where fire and sparks are present. I'm sure that the manufacturer has taken these things into consideration...Just something to keep in mind.

Hope I'm not stepping on toes here, just a few concerns that popped into my head.:rolleyes:

Scott V
05-08-2003, 09:43 AM
I think we need Rocky D to test one of these things out.Just to make sure they are safe for the rest of us!:D :eek:

Hobart Expert Rock
05-08-2003, 10:18 AM
ARBO, SCOTTV........WELL I WAS THINKING OF YOU TWO FOR A TEST SITE................:D ................. I THINK THEY'VE GONE TO BED OVER THERE QUITE A FEW HOURS DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THEM AND US............. THEY WILL HOPEFULLY REPLY IN THE MORNING......... OPETROL........... HOW DID YOU MANAGE TO FIND OUR WEBSITE..... INTERESTED PARTY'S ALWAYS LIKE TO KNOW..... ONE OF MY OLD VICE PRESIDENTS IS OVER THERE NOW WORKING FOR ILLINOIS TOOL WORKS................. AH A TWO YEAR ASSIGNMENT IN CHINA, SHANGHI, SINGAPORE........... PERHAPS HE MENTIONED THE SITE'S.......................BE SAFE GUYS...........ROCK:cool: SSCOTT@MILLERWELDS.COM

bitternut
05-08-2003, 11:24 AM
OPETROL...........YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!!

You want us to believe that you are going to build this stuff outside of China. About as much chance of that happening as a snowball in h**l. Anybody that believes that either lives in a cave or is really stupid. If you need some plant space and skilled workers to man your factory contact me and I can help you locate plenty in my area as a result of local companies closing and moving their manufacturing to China. That statement about building them in the US or Europe makes me suspect any of his other statements.

Franz
05-08-2003, 11:24 AM
Well now GEE, I'm impressed, this contraption "atomizez" gasoline instead of just vaporizing it. OOPS, I just recalled my chemistry and physics, and since gasoline is a hydrocarbon compound, and not an element, gasoline wouldn't be gasoline if it were reduced to atomic size.
And it comes with a military blast proof tank, even more important.
Please send me one of those for testing, I've got a man who weighs in at 340# and he'll be real happy to test it for you.
Does it have an option for a magnetic fuel vaporizer too, so I can increase my mileage miraculously? Myabee you could sell it thru J. C. Whitney.
Will it cut concrete too?

cope
05-08-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Franz
Well now GEE, I'm impressed, this contraption "atomizez" gasoline instead of just vaporizing it. OOPS, I just recalled my chemistry and physics, and since gasoline is a hydrocarbon compound, and not an element, gasoline wouldn't be gasoline if it were reduced to atomic size.
And it comes with a military blast proof tank, even more important.
Please send me one of those for testing, I've got a man who weighs in at 340# and he'll be real happy to test it for you.
Does it have an option for a magnetic fuel vaporizer too, so I can increase my mileage miraculously? Myabee you could sell it thru J. C. Whitney.
Will it cut concrete too?

Franz, you don't need a 340# man, my 2 1/2 year old grandson can mangle it for you.

Hobart Expert Rock
05-08-2003, 11:45 AM
GENTLEMEN.............REMEMBER WERE COMPAREING HERE.... SO BITTERNUT SHALL I ADD YOU TO THE LIST OF VOLUNTEERS FOR A TEST SITE........... UNBIASED......... HONEST........ GOOD REPORTING SKILLS.......................:D ,..................MILLER/HOBART ARE ALWAYS LOOKING FOR TEST SITE'S FOR NEW EQUIPMENT........... YOU DON'T ALWAYS GET AN AUTOGRAPHED COPY THOUGH.......... ALSO BITTERNUT I CORRECTED A SPELLING ERROR YOU HAD MADE ON YOUR THREAD...........;) :) :p :D ...... I DIDN'T THINK YOU WOULD MIND.................:D ................................ROCK.............. .:cool: SSCOTT@MILLERWELDS.COM

Arbo
05-08-2003, 12:01 PM
Rock...

I'm getting a little paranoid here. Do you want me to test it because you want to see me burn alive? Or...Because you like me and my glowing personality?:D :D :D

Hobart Expert Rock
05-08-2003, 12:33 PM
ARBO........... I DON'T WANT TO SEE ANYONE GET HURT........ WHEN I SAID VOLUNTEERS TO USE IT. I WAS KINDA HINTING AROUND FOR VOLUNTEERS TO BE WELD TEST SITES......... PRODUCT MANAGERS, WELD ENGINEERS, ELECTRONIC TECHNICANS ARE ALWAYS LOOKING.......................ROCK...........:cool : SSCOTT@MILLERWELDS.COM

cope
05-08-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Hobart Expert Rock
ARBO........... I DON'T WANT TO SEE ANYONE GET HURT........ WHEN I SAID VOLUNTEERS TO USE IT. I WAS KINDA HINTING AROUND FOR VOLUNTEERS TO BE WELD TEST SITES......... PRODUCT MANAGERS, WELD ENGINEERS, ELECTRONIC TECHNICANS ARE ALWAYS LOOKING.......................ROCK...........:cool : SSCOTT@MILLERWELDS.COM

ROCK, send me a TIG, any TIG!:D

ChadRat
05-08-2003, 01:18 PM
Rock,
Put me down as a test site. I can give you the good ole boy point of view. Yeeaa Haaww!

Chad

Franz
05-08-2003, 08:31 PM
Rock, you can put me down as a test site, I can operate any machine, as long as it ain't more complecated than my MM-225.
If it requires reading instructions, please make them LARGE PRINT cause I'm an old fart and can't recall where I put my readin glasses.
BTW, I can easily accomodate 3 phase machines 220 or 480 volt.

bitternut
05-08-2003, 10:07 PM
Hey Rock

Sorry about my spelling. Thanks for correcting it for me. I will be sure to edit my spell checker.

Of course you can add me to your list of testers. I really don't need a oxy-gasoline cutter though as I just bought a Victor Super-Range II oxy-acetylene torch set. The Victor seemed to be a popular choice by most when I asked for opinions on torch sets.

I really could use a tig though ( aluminum capabilities please ) or a nice plasma cutter. A mig big enough for spray arc would be nice also.

Actually I have been looking for a tig machine. I think that will be my next purchase. I haven't made up my mind about inverters but they have a lot of appeal. You know, throw it in the back of the truck and take it down to the farm or use it at home. Oh well, now I have to make a gas welding cart. Gee I'm starting to feel guilty having so much fun all the time.

cope
05-08-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by bitternut
Hey Rock

Sorry about my spelling. Thanks for correcting it for me. I will be sure to edit my spell checker.

Of course you can add me to your list of testers. I really don't need a oxy-gasoline cutter though as I just bought a Victor Super-Range II oxy-acetylene torch set. The Victor seemed to be a popular choice by most when I asked for opinions on torch sets.

I really could use a tig though ( aluminum capabilities please ) or a nice plasma cutter. A mig big enough for spray arc would be nice also.

Actually I have been looking for a tig machine. I think that will be my next purchase. I haven't made up my mind about inverters but they have a lot of appeal. You know, throw it in the back of the truck and take it down to the farm or use it at home. Oh well, now I have to make a gas welding cart. Gee I'm starting to feel guilty having so much fun all the time.

What you really need is a tubing bender to help finish that O/A cart!

bitternut
05-08-2003, 11:13 PM
Hey Cope

I just got one of those also. I bought the pedestal model from Grizzly. I'm going to make one out of 1/2" heavy wall electrical conduit. I have a bunch of 10' lengths. I tried some bends with that stuff and it seemed to bend OK.

Franz
05-08-2003, 11:36 PM
Bitternut, load the truck up with that rigid conduit and swing by, I'll show you how to bend pretzels with a hydraulic that will handle up to 5". I can even let you thread some of it.

opetrol
05-09-2003, 12:17 AM
the maxmum gasoline pressure is 0.2 mpa, applied while cutting 620mm thick steel. It is 0.1 MPa when the tickness is less then 100 mm.

opetrol
05-09-2003, 12:18 AM
There is an inner air tank built in the gasoline tank. The pressure can remain for weeks. But it is advised to release the air pressure if the system is idle for over 3 days.

Royal Fe
05-09-2003, 12:26 AM
Do you need to add that gas stabilizer if you don't use it much so the thing won't clog up?

opetrol
05-09-2003, 01:42 AM
what you need to do is opening and fasterning the volves properly.

opetrol
05-09-2003, 02:08 AM
there have been over 2000 standard oPetrol systems in operation, since 1999. It is safer than oxy-gas cutting.

Rocky D
05-09-2003, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by bitternut
Hey Cope

I just got one of those also. I bought the pedestal model from Grizzly. I'm going to make one out of 1/2" heavy wall electrical conduit. I have a bunch of 10' lengths. I tried some bends with that stuff and it seemed to bend OK.

Remember that stuff is galanized inside and out....:eek:

JTMcCracken
05-09-2003, 01:37 PM
I saw a gasoline torch demo'd once and it seemed like a tool for scrap or demolition type work, not for fabrication use, but that was several years ago. The lady doing the demonstration blew a hole thru a 12" shaft rather quickly, then cut a circle and the slug, 12' long and about 2' in diameter fell to the floor!
I do agree with Rocky D on the ChiCom thing, I would and do buy American whenever possible and never buy Chinese if at all possible. Making my living with a product made by slave labor political prisoners doesn't appeal to me. I would much rather buy a torch made by free men and women.

JTMcC, living free in the United States of America, and loving it!

bitternut
05-09-2003, 07:00 PM
Rocky D

Thanks for mentioning the toxicity of plated conduit. I already knew it was poisonous and kept my head out of the flume. I was also outside with plenty of fresh air. Even still as soon as I stopped the arc I backed completely away just to be sure. There are those that probably didn't know and now will by reading this thread. Its certainly something that bears repeating and shouldn't be taken lightly. I will post the pictures of the cart in the welding projects section.

UncleDannie
05-10-2003, 06:26 PM
Hey Rock, put me down as a test site. I'm located in Taft, CA, in the middle of the oil industry. We weld heavy duty trucks, trailers, fabricate mud and Baker tanks, weld oil field pipe, use Lincoln 300/300 TIG (2), Millermatics(2), Hobart 135's(1), Miller plasma cutters(2) and a trailer mounted Lincoln diesel DC welder. In addition, we have several oxy-acetylene cutters/welders. I have two, full time certified welders and two part time welders. We use Miller Spool guns and weld a lot of aluminum. I personally don't have a clue (most of the time), but my welders and fabricators are top notch.

UncleDannie
05-10-2003, 06:33 PM
Hey ChadRat, it's me, Dannie (aka the_collector) I'm almost a 'good 'ol boy, at least I'm old. Seriously, I would like to get a oxy-gas cutting set to test, we chop up a lot of old steel and iron here in the yard. If Opetrol wanted to have a tester, I'd definately volunteer.

Big Nate
05-11-2003, 12:51 AM
looks interisting.......... Would I use it? maybe.

BTW if hobart / miller is "loaning" tig machines out for testing you can send one to 1009 Nela Pky Toledo Ohio 43615:D, generous ammounts of cash in small bills is welcome too.;) :p

~Nate~

Franz
05-11-2003, 02:13 AM
Free CASH too, is this the Publisher's Clearing House site?

Big Nate
05-11-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Franz
Free CASH too, is this the Publisher's Clearing House site?

you don't like free money?:confused:

Franz
05-12-2003, 12:20 AM
Nate, I got nothing against free cash, but, I'd like some notice so when Ed shows up with the prize patrol the lawn looks nice so my wife don't hit me.
Could you swing over with a mower and cut a couple acres and save me time to work on tree cleanup? I'll even give you some of the prize patrol money.

WildBill
05-12-2003, 06:54 PM
ive used a oxy gas torch before but never above water only underwater it wasnt much fun alos used oxy/acet underwater not much fun, i used to mess around with my dad who was a navy seal and came out and worked as a commerical diver at the diver's acedemy in camden nj, anyone ever here of it.

Hobart Expert Rock
05-13-2003, 07:51 AM
YES WILDBILL........... I KNOW WHERE THE DIVING SCHOOL IS... I WAS STATIONED IN LAKE HURST FOR AWHILE, AND AT THE NAVY SHIP BOARD FIRE FIGHTING SCHOOL IN PHILADELPHIA...... NEVER ON A SHIP BUT DO RECALL WHERE IT IS............... WHAT DIDN'T YOU LIKE ABOUT UNDERWATER CUTTING WITH THE O/A SYSTEM........ ALSO I'M PRETTY CONFIDENT I WOULDN'T WANT TO UNDERWATER CUT WITH GASOLINE......... HOWEVER I'VE NEVER SEEN IT DONE ............. WHAT WERE THE DRAW BACKS IN YOUR ESTIMATION WHEN YOU DID IT............?..........ROCK...........:cool:
SSCOTT@MILLERWELDS.COM

Danco
05-13-2003, 08:04 AM
id like to know more about this too. now, if only someone would come up with a torch that ran off of compressed air instead of oxygen.....id be very impessed:D

Hobart Expert Rock
05-13-2003, 09:57 AM
DANCO................ PLASMA...........:D .......... THAT IS AIR.......ROCK:cool: SSCOTT@MILLERWELDS.COM

WildBill
05-13-2003, 05:10 PM
well Rock they both had there draw backs but the biggest is tring to see the cut , the torches i have used had a large tip around the actul cutting tip so it made seeing what your doin very difiult to stay online , the actual equipment we had also hads its limits too i think the depth for oxt/acet was 25 and for oxy/gas was 45, so i olny used them a few times i used airarc cutting rods the few times ive actually fabricated anything underwater( helped my dad add a ladder to a ship and worked with him on reinforcing a pier) , the cut wasnt as nice but i was alot closer to the line compard to the torches. oh yeah almost forgot the line we used were thick compared to normal hoses so you mobilty was impared and i really didnt like that considering the danger of having oblects come from above quite often. my unlce alos is very is an exxcent welder above and below water he was a weldor for eb he worked on the ohio subs, anyone out there know him ( Dave May)

davids78bronco
11-02-2003, 11:58 PM
I was reading about this, on a demolition derby site. A guy over there (we'll call him Guy A) offered to test it for a period of time, where opetrol stated that it would cost $450 to get a test unit, but there was no mention of having to return it, or not (tho, I would imagine Guy A would have too, considering it IS a test unit). Needless to say, he backed out of that offer, but was still interested in seeng a demo video of it

Personally, I like the idea, I've been trying to find a price on Petrogen's Portable Cutting and whether or not I could use my home air compressor, as the oxygen source(I'm guessing no, on that one). Which would be too bad, because I'd really like to have the ability of a cutting torch on my offroad rig, and not have to carry an oxygen bottle, but instead be able to use my On-board air compressor

Sberry
11-03-2003, 01:12 AM
No, you cant use air, got to be oxy and the Petrogen is about 900$ or so.

davids78bronco
11-03-2003, 01:35 AM
Darn, and darn... thanks for the answers tho

Dave Haak
11-03-2003, 07:09 AM
davids78bronco,

See link for more info............

Mick Lane is the guy to ask if you need more, he has one. He's on this board.

Dave

http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2141

mozark6
11-03-2003, 07:54 AM
gas vapors and welding sparks???????? not saying this system has a vapor issue. i know when i use the buzz box i will roll the hog out of the garage, herd stories about gas vapors from motorcycle tanks.

CHRIStical
11-03-2003, 12:00 PM
DANCO,

Do not know Dave May but I do work here at EB.

lanyuefei
07-18-2005, 10:02 PM
Opetrol put out an latest product,do you need the detail infomation ?please visit http://www.opetrol.com quickly

BIRD
07-19-2005, 03:30 AM
We as americans had better start buying from our own soil .I personally don't buy french products! just my opinion

Mike W
07-19-2005, 03:35 AM
I got tired of waiting for a connection.

Sundown
07-19-2005, 07:24 AM
I got tired of waiting for a connection.

Same here, probably don't want us to know about their new secret product :eek: :rolleyes:

Zrexxer
07-19-2005, 08:08 AM
We as americans had better start buying from our own soil .I personally don't buy french products! just my opinionOh c'mon now Bird, I saw you just last week tooling up S. Lamar in your Citroën! :D I think you were coming from Harbor Freight, there was a lot of big orange metal in the back!

Pumpkinhead
07-19-2005, 03:24 PM
****, i'm buyin' me one! look at that last line, no more nasty vitamins and Metamusil for me, i'm gonna burn my way back to my prime!

Safe
• Liquid Fuel
•blast-Proof Tank!
• Non-Back-Flash Torch
• Healthy for Operator

TOMWELDS
07-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Beijing?? Come on..lets buy AMERICAN!....

How many tanks have you seen blow up?
Who got sick on O/A?

I like my O/A torch just fine.

lanyuefei
07-20-2005, 01:05 AM
what i want to say is that oopetrol product is used vey well.the reason why it is safe is that the oPetrol gasoline tank is specially designed and filled in with military explosion-repressig material. and the tank is safe even the operator light a fire at its gasoline filling mouth when the tank is full of gasoline.

TOMWELDS
07-20-2005, 01:10 AM
Again...when was the last time someone had or heard of a tank blowing up?

lanyuefei
07-20-2005, 03:27 AM
if i told you it is a few weeks ago ,do you believe it ? besides that ,do you think you tank (without military explosion-repressig material) blow up someday? using a tank without military explosion-repressig material,one would be in dangerous everyday!!

TOMWELDS
07-20-2005, 12:43 PM
I still havent heard of a tank blowing up "being used properly" or getting sick on O/A gas.

Timinmb
07-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Again...when was the last time someone had or heard of a tank blowing up?

Hobart Pocket Welding Guide

Safety Precaution #13. Never strike an arc on a compressed gas cylinder. :eek:

I think the petrol system would be great for someone in remote locations as they would only have to ship in oxygen. The cost savings argument sounds good as well. We will have to see how this technology catches on, and what drawbacks users report. Are the Chinese the only one's to offer this system?

TOMWELDS
07-20-2005, 01:27 PM
I buy my gas less than 10 minutes away. I can buy this stuff locally?? Who do i call for service?? From what i hear, its a $900 investment. I dunno.....

lanyuefei
07-20-2005, 08:31 PM
the torch is used very saving,1 gallon of gasoline equal to one cylinder of 250 cubic ft.
of acetylene weight over 200 lbs.
the opetrol also has many distributers in other countries.
it export to Europe,the u.s.a,,japan. and many other coutrises

the gas that the opetrol system use could be bought locally.

TOMWELDS
07-20-2005, 08:56 PM
Gasoline?? What happens when a hose is ruptured?

Terry Lingle
07-20-2005, 09:19 PM
About the same as when any fuel hose ruptures you shut it off at the source and put the fire out. What is the big issue with gasoline. most cars run on it without major problems.
I guess you have never seen the pictures of the car that blew up with an acet bottle in it.
The guy is trying to market a product that may fit someones needs. He has been on the site in the past and goes away when we stop posting in . It may be poor judgment for him to post on this company site but that would be for Hobart to decide.
Terry

TOMWELDS
07-20-2005, 09:24 PM
It sounds..expensive...dangerous and i never saw or heard of anyone with one. If its that good maybe they should show some safety data or test or a video or SOMETHING. Its a little too radical of a product to just buy. My .02

Is it rated by any American standards?..AWS...OSHA..UL...etc?

Terry Lingle
07-20-2005, 09:42 PM
Do a lttle research. There are at least two such products on the market I have tested one briefly a few years ago. It did pretty much what it was advertised to do but I saw no need for one myself so i did not pursue it. I believe that they are certified but that may only be for Canada.
Just look up the past threads and see.
Like all products there is a little need for the user to educate themself before purchasing . Now I wonder why the gauge on this acet tank turns red at 15 psi. :eek: Terry

Edited for spelling ect.

TOMWELDS
07-20-2005, 09:51 PM
Educate me Terry. Serious, if they dont get into specifics or get a URL that works (lol) how can you make a sale? Tell me your experience with it. TIA

lanyuefei
07-21-2005, 02:05 AM
Do you think it is dangerous using a tank without any military explosion-repressig material filled?

i think you must have not seen any experiment about an tank filled with military explosion-repressig material ,i suggest you search for some material to see,then you will find it very safe!

besides ,the cost isn't expensive , the cost you calculate must include using cost and buying cost , comparing with other product you also will find it's cost very low !!

LBHgti
07-21-2005, 02:10 AM
Has anyone received a Test unit yet?

Roger
07-21-2005, 01:50 PM
There is made in USA Oxy/Gasoline cutting torch. They are expensive to buy the kit with pressure certified gasoline tank.

http://www.petrogen.com/

Terry Lingle
07-21-2005, 03:04 PM
Tomwelds;
Before I retired one of the things that I did was repair welding equiptment mostly engine drives and exotic application machines.
As a side benefit I got to play with any new or different equipment. They had a demo gasoline oxygen torch that I tested. I do not remember brand or much detail about it except that it was a cutting demon on layered stuff.
I know that it was certified in Canada because the target market was scrap yards they sold a few but none came back for repair. I do not know why they stopped selling them only that the source dried up. Possibly because the importer dropped the line.
I was at an old mill site last summer and I believe that there was one being used but I did not go over for a look. I just heard it mentioned in the restaurant by a fellow from the security crew. I do know that one of the scrap yards that bought one had a crew working on site
The last thing that I want to do is fuel cut multilayered steel so I never had the urge to investigate further.
There will be marketing issues if they have not got there web site sorted out but nothing that I can help with.
Terry

lanyuefei
07-28-2005, 01:57 AM
oh,,the opetrol never stoped selling the opetrol gasoline oxygen torch ,it still suppies the produts,off course,anyone who want to buy the product could contract the opetrol in direct.

lanyuefei
09-02-2005, 02:35 AM
A new torch developed by oPetrol uses ordinary liquid gasoline as fuel in cutting, heating and blowing. Liquid gasoline is available in any gas station. The torch is safe and convenient for professional and individual DIY application.
Excerpt from << FARM SHOW Tests New Gas Torch >> By Mick Lane, Contributing Editor , Vol.27,No.5,2003
“The gas torch cut right through a 3-in. shaft salvaged from a hydraulic cylinder and also a piece of high carbon milled steel that we measured at about 3 1/2 in. thick. Jensen's new acetylene torch wouldn't cut either of them.
The system consists of a special tank for the gasoline, a gasoline pressure hose, and the torch and tips. You have to provide your own oxygen source, hose, and regulator.
The gasoline tank is specially designed with an outer and inner layer filled in between with blast-proof material used by the military
The torch itself is designed so fuel burns so completely there's hardly any pollution
Economics is the big reason to consider a gasoline torch because it's a lot cheaper than acetylene. (Jensen says) it costs him $40 every time he fills the acetylene tank. If tips are $10 each and he needs a new one with every tank, that's $50. Compare that to gasoline and tips that last years. The torch and tank setup is priced comparably with a good quality acetylene setup”

Excerpt From http://www.opetrol.com/Testimonies.htm, << Test Report by Beijing Fangshan Generator Works>>
Measurement showed that the total gasoline consumption was 7.5 liters. Counting the gasoline price at 3.0 yuan/liter, that valued 22.5 yuan altogether. According to Mr. Chen Jainxin, the casting workshop director,the same task needed minimum three cylinders of acetylene. A cylinder of acetylene valued minimum 70 yuan in China. 3 cylinders valued 210 yuan.
There was no back-flash during the cutting, even when the oxy-gasoline torch flame was distinguished by the oxide or adhered sand.. The welder was very impressed by its safety feature.
The heavy duty OPetrol oxy-gasoline cutting torch can cut big size cast parts under 500 mm thick, such as steel ingot, rising head, etc. the cutting speed is not lower than an acetylene torch. The fuel cost is only about 10% of acetylene torch. There is a great potential in promoting the oPetrol oxy-gasoline cutting torch into broad and long time applications. The benefit will be both social and economical

Excerpt From http://www.opetrol.com/Testimonies3.htm <<Test Report by Beijing Iron and Steel Mill on the Comparison between oPetrol and Oxy-Acetylene Cutting>>
The oPetrol oxy-gasoline cutting torch is very safe, with no slag, no back-flash to the fuel line. It cuts fast and is very economic to use. With a short training it is possible to obtain a better performance. When oPetrol is used to cut 60 mm think and 80 mm thick steel plates, it cuts faster and better. OPetrol is a very practical torch.

1coolacman
10-13-2005, 08:09 PM
Very interesting.
I too have looked into this torch along with the american made one.

"what i want to say is that oopetrol product is used vey well.the reason why it is safe is that the oPetrol gasoline tank is specially designed and filled in with military explosion-repressig material. and the tank is safe even the operator light a fire at its gasoline filling mouth when the tank is full of gasoline."

One thing I would like to mention about the safety of the militery grade can and how it will not explode if you put fire in the opening of a full can. I think if you put fire in the opening of a regular jerry can full of gas it too will not explode, the reason being it is full. Yes it will burn at the opening but it will not explode.

1coolacman
;)

tailshaft56
10-13-2005, 08:51 PM
I'll bet a dollar to a dime coolacman is associated with oPetrol. Any Takers?

Dennis

Pumpkinhead
10-14-2005, 07:12 AM

Dennis
what wood give yu that impresion?

BRL
10-14-2005, 09:25 AM
Well I have $100.00 that I'll go out on a limb with since he has argued against the safety claims of oPetrol, and explained why the safety claim isn't quite as safe as they would have one believe. I can't imagine someone associated with the company would help the arguments against their product?

tailshaft56
10-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Guess I didn't read the whole post. I was thinking ( very dangerous ) that this was an odd post for a newbie to comment on other than to bring it up again so everyone would see it.

Dennis

PS I have a buck here with your name on it!

Pumpkinhead
10-14-2005, 10:21 AM
tailshaft & BRL,
take a look at a previous post by Opetrol or lanyufei the gasoline shills, only those hawking Opetrol spell "repressing", "repressig" every **** time!, you both owe me money or beer.

Liquidmantis
10-14-2005, 10:43 AM
tailshaft & BRL,
take a look at a previous post by Opetrol or lanyufei the gasoline shills, only those hawking Opetrol spell "repressing", "repressig" every **** time!, you both owe me money or beer.

Yes, but notice the section containing the typo is in quotes. He copied and pasted their type(o).

Terry Lingle
10-14-2005, 10:45 AM
this whole discussion seems "off" to me. all torches use a fuel gas and all have safety issues but to center on gasoline tank safety seems foolish concider leaf blowers, string trimmers chainsaws all have gasoline in a plastic container molded into the smallest possible package around a hot engine with an exhaust exit that is right there as well . Now motor cycles place that gas right next to the jewels and over a hot motor.

Focus on what the product does - be it american made or made elsewhere - does it do what the manufacturer claims or not ?

Yes for you americans "made in america" is a pride issue but for the other 3.7 billion of us that is not true.
Even the best products are being forced off shore by high local costs.
Further I suspect that the concept of off shore manufacturing to cut costs originated in america.
I have tested a gasoline oxigen torch and while it is not for me it does handle some cutting jobs better so there is a place for them in industry.
Terry

Pumpkinhead
10-14-2005, 12:13 PM
Yes, but notice the section containing the typo is in quotes. He copied and pasted their type(o).

Ah So, Leekwid es muy observant ! i stand corrected.

tailshaft56
10-14-2005, 12:34 PM
you both owe me money or beer.

Please come by and collect. I need a good excuse to drag home a six pack of Heinekiens.

Dennis

TOMWELDS
10-14-2005, 12:40 PM

Dennis

Notice the # of post!...LOL

tailshaft56
10-14-2005, 04:08 PM
I did! Only one. The only reason for the post was to bring it back to the front so everyone would see it. Win lose or draw I'll still pony up for a six pack.

Dennis

BRL
10-15-2005, 12:04 AM
A 6-pack??!! You said a dollar to the dime. If I put up 1,000 dimes, you owe me 10 times that buddy! Since we didn't shake on it, I'll accept a case instead ;) I'm new here too, but I just couldn't pass 10 to 1 odds when I was lucky enough to see the quotes & see he was debunking some of the safety claim. There could certainly be plenty of times one might have a tank not completely full (you know, kind of like shortly after one starts to use the contents of the tank). Of course one would also need to shoot flames or sparks at a partially filled tank, with a leak in said tank for it to have a catastrophic result, so probably safe enough either way, especially with that fancy military stuff in there ;) .

TOMWELDS
10-15-2005, 12:45 AM
My beef with this thing is, what happens when a hose breaks?... :eek:

Terry Lingle
10-15-2005, 09:51 AM
The same as when you develope a leak in any fuel kine the danger of fire or explosion increases with gas you will see a wet spot as well as smell it . It is not any more dangerous than any other fuel device it needs to be properly maintained and used ina safe manner by a trained operator just as any dangerous tool needs to be respected by the operator. Terry

usmcpop
10-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Let Moody test it.

frank
10-16-2005, 07:17 AM
Let Moody test it.

a law against endangering children. :rolleyes:

Frank

crappy scrappy
09-20-2008, 04:43 PM
[QUOTE=Terry Lingle;149653]About the same as when any fuel hose ruptures you shut it off at the source and put the fire out. What is the big issue with gasoline. most cars run on it without major problems.
I guess you have never seen the pictures of the car that blew up with an acet bottle in it.
The guy is trying to market a product that may fit someones needs. He has been on the site in the past and goes away when we stop posting in . It may be poor judgment for him to post on this company site but that would be for Hobart to decide.
Terry[/QUOTE

I have a US made model, which I am still trying to come to grips with,it certainly is different, and I would like to link up with an american user to compare notes. Once you are over the fear of it, and can smile again, you'll be OK.

MAC702
09-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Welcome to the forum. You might want to also take a moment and put your location in your profile, using the profile link in the header. Sounds like you are not in the US?

This is a very old thread, so you may not find the same users here that posted originally, but perhaps there are still some people around with that torch. We'll see.

Rocky D
09-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Mercy, Mac this post is 5 years old! It would prolly serve better to Google it.

visorblue
10-02-2008, 08:40 AM
After seeing a guy "carve steel with gas" on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlydEnxNGEw) I did some minor web searching for the heck of it. Prices range from $1,000-2,600 were stated in various forums and then I saw something on ebay of all places. Made in China - Shanghai, naturally. Much cheaper, even delivered. This is the seller's ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/wwdong2008168 (http://stores.ebay.com/wwdong2008168)

Disclaimer: I have zilch to do with this and just barely a passing interest -- not getting one, just thought I'd pass on the info. There's some demo videos on them on YouTube, too.

ptsideshow
10-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Here is the discussion on the video's we had a while back on the sculpture forum. http://www.sculpture.net/community/showthread.php?t=7719&highlight=Carving+steel
Along with the torch info.:D

Roger
10-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Some great cutting torches use injection mixer (Venture) but wwdong torch on ebay is first I have seen for gasoline cutting torch with out pressurized gasoline tank.
Tempting price.