PDA

View Full Version : making pancake hoods

welder T
11-02-2005, 10:22 PM
what are the pancake hoods made of, and where do you buy the supplies?

Sberry
11-02-2005, 10:48 PM
I used to make them from flip up burning goggles and fire blanket. You could use leather too.

TOMWELDS
11-02-2005, 10:56 PM
To get leather scraps, i cut pieces from old leather sofa's. (sniff first..) :eek:

Hotfoot
11-02-2005, 11:46 PM
...so...ahhh...this would be wrong, then??... :confused:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/byeboy/weldmask.jpg
:p

TOMWELDS
11-03-2005, 12:04 AM
"Uncle" Jemima...L

diesel
11-03-2005, 12:43 AM
An old school pancake is made with a block of balsa and fiberglass or kevlar or whatever you got. It is an art making one of these. I had a chance to make one but declined because I thought they weren't nearly as good as a 10# flip up :( . The guy that made them started with a roughly 4x4x6 piece of balsa. Our gas supplier got a 3' chunck of it for him so he had plenty for any one that wanted to make one. He made a basic face cutout with a skillsaw. I didn't watch this part but I guess he free handed the saw sideways to give a curved top and a curved bottom with a nose notch. It was pretty crude and just a rough out for basic shape with a small flat landing left on each side. Then he had each guy measure his own eye width. Just close your eyes and feel for the high spots with one hand then measure your fingers. Center this dimension in a 4x6 side and drill out 1" holes. Next use a coarse file to fit the balsa to your face. The holes that were drilled are like a gun sight. They help fit the block square with your face. So I do remember this vividly:

We were sitting around the shop drinking..um sodas and he is showing everybody how to fit these things and he says "Most guys like their masks pointed down a little because they naturally look down on what they are working on. Me I like mine looking up because I ocasionally nod off while burnin' a root and when I wake up I don't want to have to look around to see where I'm at." I really think he was serious.

Anyway fit the thing either square, lookin' down or lookin' up. After you get it fitted to your face then hollow out the rest of the block to a little smaller than the glass filter. Glue in some small tapped rods for attaching the face plate and side and yer done. It took the oldtimer about 3..ummm sodas to fit his and another 1 to hollow it out. Everyone else took days to shape and hollow. He smoothed it with sand paper and coated it with bees wax. The outside of the block he coated with wax and grinder dust. I would probably paint it but he's been doin' this for 50 years so....

This is all kinda second hand knowledge and the dimensions are guessed. No I didn't build one (wish I had) but I was in the shop when he did this. I have compared a balsa pancake to one of the new kevlar things and hands down there is no school like old school.
d.

dath
11-03-2005, 03:07 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a pancake good for?

-dath

Pumpkinhead
11-03-2005, 03:37 PM

-dath

breakfast ! or if you are a boater, they make great fenders.

they keep extraneous light from reflecting off your filter as well as making seeing the joint easier because your eyeballs are always adjusted to the dark, you don't flip up a pancake all the time.

nitsuj
11-03-2005, 04:04 PM
Can anyone post a picture of one of these things? I'm having a hard time imagining it.

Zrexxer
11-03-2005, 04:12 PM
"Uncle" Jemima...LUncle Tom... :p

Jpill
11-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Will this do?

dath
11-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Huh, interesting. I have already learned to hate the glare from the light getting into the back of my helmet, so fixing that problem alone would be nice, though it seems like some leather stitched to my helmet would do the trick there. Hmmmm...

-dath

nitsuj
11-03-2005, 05:30 PM
Ok, I'm failing to see the usefulness. So it pretty much covers the whole face so you can only see through the eye piece, and no glare can come around it? Wouldn't a leather bib that draped down off a welding helmet do the same thing? Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing, you guys are all welding gods as far as I'm concerned. I'm just trying tp picture myself with a block of balsa strapped to my face. Seems like it would be more annoying than helpful.

Jpill
11-03-2005, 06:44 PM
Well leather stiched to a hood to drape down the back of your head would keep glare out, but you would also get no air circulation, sweat would drip into your eyes, and it would get in the way when you have to lay on your back.

All pancake hoods are lighter than any regular hood so there is no neck strain after 10 or so hours of welding, and they stay put when you are having to constantly change positions since it is worn like a pair of goggles. You custom fit it to your face so if its uncomfortable its your fault. That being said they are not for every job, but they can't be beat for outdoors welding in 110 degree heat with the sun beating down and no shade to weld in.

Gumby
11-04-2005, 09:07 AM
Interesting concept! Does anyone know of a retail source for such a hood?

"If you're going through ****...KEEP GOING!"
-Sir Winston Churchill

Jpill
11-04-2005, 09:14 AM
Yeah go look in the other current post on Pancake hoods I posted a link to Wendy's Pancakes. and Ed posted a link to Ram welding supply.

JTMcCracken
11-04-2005, 11:41 PM
I used to make them from flip up burning goggles and fire blanket. You could use leather too.

?????? You don't know what a pancake is, do you. I'll give you a tip, it has nothing to do with cutting googles or fire blanket.

There are several companies making them. Sarges is the best imo.

JTMcC.

Sberry
11-04-2005, 11:54 PM
We made them similar to those, yes I know what they are. I realize I was not technically correct. We are not all perfect here.

JTMcCracken
11-05-2005, 05:24 PM
what are the pancake hoods made of, and where do you buy the supplies?

Do you really want to make one or do you just need one? Unless It was a hobby type of thing I'd just buy one as there are a lot of little parts put together to make a pancake. Wendy's and Sarges are the two biggest brands, I think the Sarges are quite a bit sturdier myself. Sarges come in three different "depths" of the lens cavity to allow for a regular lense, or lens with cheater, and the biggest for the battery powered auto lenses.
Then there are the yellow ones that are made of one piece bent to 90 degrees, I don't like them at all, I bought one but traded it off for a 25 year old (unused) Sarges. I also have a Wendy's that I bought new but haven't used.Some guys really like the white Wendy's as they are light, they are made of pretty thin material and flex quite a bit. The Wendy's don't come with any closure for the lens opening and I don't like that at all, you can whittle your own but shouldn't have to imo.
If you need a name or phone number shoot me an email and I'll send them to you.

JTMcC.

JTMcCracken
11-05-2005, 05:33 PM

-dath

You can lay your head down on the ground as you weld the bottom of the pipe without knocking the hood off, You don't get any sparks flying around your eyeballs (And that's pretty common with a bucket hood when welding pipe with 6010,7010,8010 rods. And it's already been mentioned that they are super lightweight, very comfortable, allow zero sunlight in, and offer superior ventilation. Besides that they look so cool ;)
You don't see them often outside of the pipeline.

JTMcC.

Jpill
11-05-2005, 07:02 PM
The Wendy's don't come with any closure for the lens opening and I don't like that at all, you can whittle your own but shouldn't have to imo.
JTMcC.

I've got a Wendy's and thats my problem with it to. I found if you don't cover the opening somehow you will occasionally get a little sliver of annoying light, not to mention assorted dirt and trash in the hole.

IRON TO ART
11-05-2005, 09:25 PM
A couple days ago I had no idea what a pancake hood was. I have never seen or heard of one before. It does make sense though. I often find myself welding under a vehicle on jack stand with very little clearance. My hood is forever hitting and catching on the car. I wonder if a pancake would be appropriate for doing this or if you guys have better ideas when you're in a spot you can barely get your head in. :confused:

Jpill
11-05-2005, 09:32 PM
A pancake might catch there under a car. You may try one of the leather "monkey hoods"
I don't know the technical name thats just what we call them at work. They cover your whole head and have a lense holder riveted into the leather. They are good for tight spaces with no clearance but they are **** to work in cause they are so hot.

Jpill
11-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Here is a picture of one.

JTMcCracken
11-05-2005, 10:18 PM
You're creeping into dangerous territory there, once you go pancake, you'll never go back ;)

Procede with caution.

JTMcC.

Fishy Jim
11-05-2005, 10:25 PM
"I often find myself welding under a vehicle on jack stand with very little clearance."

You could always raise the vehicle a little higher. ;)

IRON TO ART
11-05-2005, 10:33 PM
"I often find myself welding under a vehicle on jack stand with very little clearance."

You could always raise the vehicle a little higher. ;)

Great never thought of that. Here I was gonna have a contractor come out and quote on lowering my shop floor. :eek:

Fishy Jim
11-05-2005, 10:49 PM
lol You could do that too. :p

Silverback
11-06-2005, 04:52 AM
How do you line up your weld if the thing doesn’t flip up/down?

diesel
11-06-2005, 12:00 PM
After you wear it for a little while your eyes adjust and you can see better than you'd think. Also the welders that wear these "know" exactly what they are doing and where they are going to strike.
d.

JTMcCracken
11-06-2005, 06:29 PM
We made them similar to those, yes I know what they are. I realize I was not technically correct. We are not all perfect here.

It doesn't have anything to do with being perfect, it has to do with commenting on topics you are not familiar with.

JTMcC.

Sberry
11-06-2005, 09:13 PM
I guess the point I was making is that there are several versions of home made hoods, most of the guys here likely wouldnt have a need for a real pancake, they are likely looking for something to work in close quarters. Its just my personal opinion that whittling something out of wood for a hood seemed kind of primitive, doesnt mean it isnt a good thing or they dont have a point or good use, they just never impressed me all that much. I have seen versions of them made using 2x4 goggles, great form fit and can have a flip up lens to boot and they are already designed to accept a couple of lenses. All this is certainly just an opinion, for myself if I wanted an unconventional hood I would like a flexable face to allow for use in confined areas. I am sure JT can elaborate on the benifits of them, I certainly wouldnt mind reading about it.

Phewzer
10-31-2009, 04:58 PM
I'm just trying tp picture myself with a block of balsa strapped to my face. Seems like it would be more annoying than helpful.

I'm with ya,

Although, It would make a kool holloween mask :D