PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a beer keg?

49degreesnorth
09-17-2005, 11:53 PM
Guys,

I came across a beer keg floating in Puget Sound today, and my friend insisted on grabbing it to make it into a beer cooking pot. First of all, could this thing really be stainless (how can I tell)? It looks like stainless but seems like aluminum would be way cheaper (Annheiser Bush), and it is hard to tell what it is made out of. Second, anyone ever make a cooking kettle out of one of these? Third, is there a better use it could be put to (like a grill?).

Thanks!
Chris

own6volvos
09-18-2005, 12:16 AM
I want to say stainless steel just because of the fact they are used to store food products.

tailshaft56
09-18-2005, 12:16 AM
Don't use it for anything food wise. Maybe you should send it to me for proper disposal. Just kidding. LOL My vote is for the grill. Check back a few pages and you will find someone who made a grill from a keg. Good luck with it.

Dennis

Liquidmantis
09-18-2005, 09:04 AM
Yup, they're stainless. Can't you tell by the weight?

I have three that I use for my homebrewing, one for water kettle, one for mash tun, one for the brewing kettle. I'm not sure about using one for a grill since they aren't very heat conductive.

LarryL
09-18-2005, 09:51 AM
If it's a 15 gallon stainless steel keg, you might use it in the fabrication of a quiet-running, light-duty, torch or plasma cutter cooler. Weld an outlet on the bottom, mount it in a cradle and hook it up to a used carbonator pump. Filled with 14 gallons of distilled water, it will serve as an excellent welding cooler for intermittent, home shop use. I made this kind of a cooler out of a 16 gallon steel drum, the interior of which I coated with epoxy paint. After an hour of stop-and-go welding, the 14 gallons of water in it would be warm but would still provide adequate torch cooling. I stopped using this cooler because of a heavy growth of algae in this unit - perhaps due to use of tap water with an improper epoxy paint. My present Lincoln water cooler works well but I wish that I had a very quiet-running unit. Of course, a cooler containing 14 gallons of water would not be a portable one. If we were closer, I'd trade you some stainless steel and aluminum sheet for the keg. :)

LarryL

Zrexxer
09-18-2005, 10:09 AM
Kegs are made from both aluminum and stainless.

KennyG
09-18-2005, 10:39 AM
Chris -- have you tried a magnet? While I know that a magnet is not 100% accurate because some stainless steels are nonmagnetic. But if it did stick, then you would know that it is not aluminum.

asad
09-18-2005, 12:09 PM
You could take a grinder to a noncritical part. If it sparks, it's probably stainless. Aluminum doesn't glow when it gets hot, hence, no sparks.

Asad

49degreesnorth
09-18-2005, 12:13 PM
To tell you the truth, I'm a little embarrassed that I can't tell for certain if it is aluminum or stainless. But it IS heavy, and my guess is stainless. There are a few rust stains on it which are telling. Haven't tried the magnet...

Zrexxer -- I think you are right. I seem to recall that aluminum kegs are more bloated-looking than stainless ones. What do I know? :confused:

I think that end-use food may be transported in aluminum (e.g. beverage cans).

Liquidmantis -- yours sounds like the kind of setup my friend wants to put together. Any advice for him? I think he's starting with the kettle.

LarryL -- tempting. Might justify more tools. :D

Thanks, y'all. :)

Broccoli1
09-18-2005, 12:13 PM
http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/showthread.php?t=14788

Broccoli1
09-18-2005, 12:15 PM
http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4473&highlight=cooker

You may have to join to view the thread but it's a good forum to join anyway

49degreesnorth
09-18-2005, 12:47 PM
Thanks, Broc'

Nice links! And all I need is yet another forum to waste time on. :cool:

Broccoli1
09-18-2005, 12:51 PM
Thanks, Broc'

Nice links! And all I need is yet another forum to waste time on. :cool:

Call it research
:D

James D. Clark
09-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Take your pocket knife and try to carve a small piece from the keg. Aluminum is softer than stainless. Even the harder alloys.

Zrexxer
09-18-2005, 02:26 PM
Haven't tried the magnet...

Zrexxer -- I think you are right. I seem to recall that aluminum kegs are more bloated-looking than stainless ones. The aluminum ones are often kind of barrel-shaped, so yeah, you could say bloated." :p

The magnet likely won't get you anywhere; food grade stainlesses are usually austenitic (300 series) and are nonmagnetic anyway.

alanh
09-18-2005, 04:45 PM
I can't believe all the thoughtless comments about what to do with an empty beer keg. :( You would think that all everyone here thinks about is to make something out of, or weld on, something they find. :confused:
Anyone with half a brain knows you take an empty back and exchange it for a full one, then invite the rest of us over to help you figure out what to do with it. :D

PS some brauts would be good too. :p

boilerman
09-18-2005, 07:11 PM
well if your looking for a real project...something to make and will be useful...1500watt heater element out of hot water tank...stainless bowl from wallymart...2"s/s exhaust couple...thermostat (100 to 200 degree) to run heater element....36" of 2" copper pipe and rest of fitting to come down to 1/2" copper pipe....and a cooling coil....make your self some real home brew

diesel
09-19-2005, 11:53 AM
But you still need a mashtun to convert the sugars and a fermenter before extracting the fuel.
Kegs work good for mashtuns but I don't like them for boiling (needs flat bottom). A couple of fittings on the side, a false bottom (sieve) and a lid.
d.

James D. Clark
09-19-2005, 12:38 PM
I can't believe all the thoughtless comments about what to do with an empty beer keg. :( You would think that all everyone here thinks about is to make something out of, or weld on, something they find. :confused:
Anyone with half a brain knows you take an empty back and exchange it for a full one, then invite the rest of us over to help you figure out what to do with it. :D

PS some brauts would be good too. :p

And if you find an old beer keg floating in the river I wouldn't want to even think about using it to refill with food or drink. You don't know what it had in it. :(

Liquidmantis
09-20-2005, 04:57 PM
Liquidmantis -- yours sounds like the kind of setup my friend wants to put together. Any advice for him? I think he's starting with the kettle.

Sorry, haven't been on the board since my last post. I used weldless fittings for my kegs. See the selection here. (http://www.northernbrewer.com/weldless.html) The Bazooka T works well in the kettle to filter out the hops. A thermometer on the kettle is really nice as well. When doing 10 gallon batches a keg kettle is the way to go.

diesel
09-20-2005, 06:09 PM
There are weldless fittings but I perfer to weld them otherwise I can't justify having a welder.

Right now I got a sweet deal goin' with the local brewer. I just tell them I want beer so when they cook up a batch they make a little xtra. I take in my fermenter and they fill it with wort. They can give away the unfermented stuff but as soon as the yeast start fermenting the feds call it a regulated product and all taxes must be paid on it. All I have to do is take the stuff home, ferment it and then keg it. Honestly I don't know why I have a brewery anymore.
d.

rexmo
09-20-2005, 06:30 PM
When I used to brew at this scale, I had 1/2" or 3/4" full couplings welded in near the bottom of the straight side, cut the top out after removing the spear, and ground the cut off edge down to the sidewall. Perf plate false bottoms or slotted pipe manifolds inside, a valve outside. A slicker design would be to cut the bottom out and weld a central flue pipe into the top nozzle, similar to a water heater tank.

Liquidmantis
09-21-2005, 12:38 AM
There are weldless fittings but I perfer to weld them otherwise I can't justify having a welder.

Yeah, but I've been brewing longer than welding. Welding a nipple onto a stainless keg isn't a light job either. It might not matter so much on the kettle but on the mash lauter tun you better have a good clean weld. But, I use a cooler for better heat retention anyway.

'Bout time to brew here. I floated the last of my American Pale Ale tonight after an evening of welding. Got room for a new brew in the line-up on the kegerator now.

2manyprojects
09-21-2005, 08:36 PM
If you look at the two words in front of Anheuser Busch, I believe it says "Property Of"

bobad
09-21-2005, 09:37 PM
I stopped using this cooler because of a heavy growth of algae in this unit - LarryL

Larry,

Copper sulphate keeps algae from growing. You can get it at Wal-Mart in the plumbing department as "root killer" or similar. It's in the form of blue crystals.

Thomas Harris
09-22-2005, 06:30 AM
And if you find an old beer keg floating in the river I wouldn't want to even think about using it to refill with food or drink. You don't know what it had in it. :(

You would be surprised at what the food processing plants use to clean the 304 stainless equipment . I would think that 304 stainless would not retain any residual contaminants. That is why it's used so extensively in the food processing industry. Alos used in medical equipment whch is sterilized and reused on other patients. I've heard that some photographic chemicals MAY leave residue on stainless, but I"m not even sure this is possible. I'd scrub the livin' &*&^ out of it and use for whatever yer fancy. When you weld it you want to consider the carbide percipitaion. This is what causes teh stainless to become non stainless in the weld area. Baically the hotter and longer it remains hot the more intense this will be. I've read where a weld has cracked over use in the haz because of this problelm. Usually happens on something subjected to prolonged heat durin normal use.

49degreesnorth
09-22-2005, 11:32 AM
If you look at the two words in front of Anheuser Busch, I believe it says "Property Of"

:rolleyes: Actually, it doesn't... but I believe that even if it did then "salvage at sea" makes it MINE, MINE, MINE! :D

LarryL
09-22-2005, 11:45 AM
:rolleyes: Actually, it doesn't... but I believe that even if it did then "salvage at sea" makes it MINE, MINE, MINE! :D
Since Puget Sound is an inland body of water, salvage rights to all kegs in it probably belong to the State of Washington. :D

LarryL

Skipper
09-22-2005, 08:22 PM
A stainless keg weights about 40 lbs.

weird bike
09-22-2005, 08:54 PM
I was going to use a 20 gallong keg for my gas tank but it was a little bulky but hey how cool would a gas tank with anheiser busch look on a dune buggy :rolleyes:

jamesdart
09-27-2005, 04:20 PM
im dying to find an empty keg. anything that has gotten in it over time should die when you fire the keg up as a grill in its new life. couldnt you just run anti freeze in the water cooler, i dont think anything could grow in it.

Skipper
09-27-2005, 07:34 PM
I know where a good many is at a salvage yard. He is getting premium price though. 40 bucks a peice. I bought one the other day just to have on hand in case somebody else needed another keg grill built. They are pricey to build though but some folks like paying for good stuff.

jamesdart
09-27-2005, 10:57 PM
where you located?

photos8484
09-28-2005, 08:42 AM
I know where a good many is at a salvage yard. He is getting premium price though. 40 bucks a peice. I bought one the other day just to have on hand in case somebody else needed another keg grill built. They are pricey to build though but some folks like paying for good stuff.
In my area, beer distributors charge a deposit of approx $15 - $20 over the cost of a quarter keg of beer (I don't know the deposit on larger kegs); get a quarter, drink the contents & you're left with fine keg at half the price, and a fine buzz, too.

Sgt. Hash
09-28-2005, 03:42 PM
Guys,

I came across a beer keg floating in Puget Sound today, and my friend insisted on grabbing it to make it into a beer cooking pot. First of all, could this thing really be stainless (how can I tell)? It looks like stainless but seems like aluminum would be way cheaper (Annheiser Bush), and it is hard to tell what it is made out of. Second, anyone ever make a cooking kettle out of one of these? Third, is there a better use it could be put to (like a grill?).

Thanks!
Chris

i think you shouldnt fix the keg and drink it all yourself. so pull out a stic welder and lets party :D

Skipper
09-28-2005, 08:19 PM
Newberry s.c.

evanmars
04-21-2007, 06:32 PM
In my area, beer distributors charge a deposit of approx $15 - $20 over the cost of a quarter keg of beer (I don't know the deposit on larger kegs); get a quarter, drink the contents & you're left with fine keg at half the price, and a fine buzz, too.

Paying the deposit is NOT the same as buying the keg. It is still seen as stealing if you do not return it.

usmcpop
04-21-2007, 10:34 PM
Judging from the Sept. 2005 date of the original thread, you may not get too many replies. They probably haven't yet been paroled for the stolen keg convictions :)