PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening drill bits

harold
04-14-2003, 01:51 PM
Just read the post about drill bits and it reminded me. I have a cigar box full of dull (American made) drill bits and need to sharpen them. I have a Sears Craftsman drill grinding attachment (model 9-6677) that I purchased 30 years ago. I know the unit worked pretty good on the larger bits but... Havn't used it in the past 25 years ,forgot how to set it up, and now can't find the instructions. Sears no longer carry it. I did find an old long time Sears hardware manager that remenbers it. Said it was the same as a ????? Model 31 ( I think he said General but not sure ). Does anyone have instructions for using one of these or remember how to set it up and use. Info that they are willing to share?
Thanks

Bob
04-14-2003, 03:40 PM
General advice to preserve the existing bevel. Go light on the leading (cutting edge), then a bit harder as you turn it to take a little more off the trailing edge. Quench quickly and often.
If you have a lot to sharpen I guess I would suggest picking one mid-size, hopefully that there are multiples of, and practice on that one. Shapen, used (mis-use), resharpen. Get the technique down before doing all of them.

Bob

jniolon
04-14-2003, 08:39 PM
I know it goes against the code... and I'm probably violating some unwritten d-i-y rule and will have my tools rust... but for the money...buy a drill doctor... does a good job.. in seconds..literally. up to 1/2 capacity...3/4" with the super duper industrial strength model... second best christmas gift I ever got.. I can now abuse bits and in a few seconds they are a good as new...

I'll admit I've spent a long time over a grinder and could never master the 'feel' you have to have to hand sharpen a bit... I've watched it done and had a master try to show me... I don't have the touch... just like some folks can't hit a curve ball...

drill doctor... straightens out my drill bit curve *****.. :D

john

bitternut
04-14-2003, 08:55 PM
I will have to cast my vote for the Drill Doctor like John. I have been sharpening drills by hand on a pedestal grinder for 40 years and can sharpen a drill pretty good. My wife got me the largest model Drill Doctor for X-mas and I love it. It works great. Buy good drill bits also and they won't give out on you in the middle of a job. You get what you pay for. Thats my 2 cents.

Dave Haak
04-14-2003, 10:18 PM
Yup, drill Doctor. Had mine for about 5 years and haven't changed to the spare wheel I purchased extra, thinking the original wouldn't last long. Mostly 1/2" bits or smaller but some up to 3/4". Got good at using a bench gringer but hard to end up with the center in the "center".

Dave

Mike Sherman
04-15-2003, 06:40 AM
Even in what is considered a heavy industrial enviroment, we use the Drill Doctor. I virtually never go to a jobsite without it. I don't use it very often, but when I need it, it does a superb job. I'm even considering writing a letter to Paul Harvey, I like it that much.

bitternut
04-15-2003, 08:03 AM
Harold

Well it looks like everybody is pretty much in agreement about the Drill Doctor but you did not get an answer to your original question.

In our shop we had a larger all metal version of the Drill Doctor that I think was made by Darex. It looked very similar and worked the same way. Probably your Sears model also was of the same design. If yours is similar to the Drill Doctor I could scan the directions to mine and e-mail them to you. Let me know if I can be of any help to you. Good luck in your search.

cope
04-15-2003, 08:11 AM
bitternut, Harold's, if I'm not mistaken, is a jig type fixture that holds a bit at the correct angle to sharpen it on a bench grinder. I have one of the same vintage and emailed him last night offering to copy the instructions for him.

Incommunicado
04-15-2003, 04:07 PM
I'm glad someone discussed the "drill doctor" I have the model 750, I have read the instructions and watched the video adnauseam. I resulted in the veiwing of their infomercial several times.
This machine has probably ruined more drill bits, than I care to say, it just blunts the drill bits with little or no angle at all. Maybe i should send this back to the manufacturer.
Has anybody had a similar problem with the drill doctor

bitternut
04-15-2003, 07:18 PM
INCOMMUNICADO

I also have the 750 Pro Kit and mine works slicker than Franz's owl poop. I am not saying you are doing something wrong in your set up but, before you send it back I would have someone thats handy give it a try. They are made pretty simple and there isn't a lot that could be wrong, but if you don't set the drill up right in the collet it ain't gonna work right.

Bob
04-15-2003, 07:49 PM
I have an el-cheapo bit sharpener: 2" wheel, plastic fluted guides that does not sharpen well at all. After reading this thread, I put a bid on a drill doctor on ebay ... quite a few available there, both the 1/2 and 3/4 inch versions.
Bob

Incommunicado
04-15-2003, 10:38 PM
Hi Bitternut,

Thanks for the reply, I was in the automotive field several years and have continued with boats cars and motorcycles, and I am familer with mechanical things.
It may be possible that I am not aligning the bit in the chuck properly, so I'll try it again tomorrow. ( I have hundreds of drill bits I can afford to wreck )

Scott V
04-15-2003, 11:35 PM
Check out this thread at this site.I think Doug C has it about right.

http://www.chaski.com/ubb/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=machtools&Number=13529&Main=13353#Post13529

bjdenommee
04-16-2003, 06:07 AM
My Dad got one of Drill Drs for Xmas and sharpened more bits in an hours time than I have done in a lifetime.

cant wait to get one

harold
05-01-2003, 12:14 PM
Received the craftsman instructions for the drill grinding attachment in todays mail; many thanks, it is the same as the model I have. Hope to get to use it today but still have about 500 more flower plants to get in the ground today. Been thinking about getting one of those drill doctors that everyone commented on. Will have to check it out later. Again Cope manny thanks.

cope
05-01-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by harold
Received the craftsman instructions for the drill grinding attachment in todays mail; many thanks, it is the same as the model I have. Hope to get to use it today but still have about 500 more flower plants to get in the ground today. Been thinking about getting one of those drill doctors that everyone commented on. Will have to check it out later. Again Cope manny thanks.

Harold, I forget when I mailed it, but seems like Uncle Sam's mail service slipped a little there. Glad to help out.

Bob
05-01-2003, 08:03 PM
All,

This thread got me to buy a new Drill Doctor 750. It arrived today. Have not tried it yet, but hope to soon. It looks like there is a bit of learning but I have high hope.

Bob

jniolon
05-01-2003, 08:04 PM
Bob,

not much to it.... it comes with a video... watch the video...set it up.... twist your wrist....exit sharpened drill bit.... repeat as needed on the 135 dull bits in the drawer..

john :D

Srubrn
05-01-2003, 10:35 PM
Bob,

You think this thread cost you some money by going out and buying a drill dr. Here is alist of things I have bought in the last several weeks due to this forum:

HH 135
MM210
Torch set
Drill Dr. 750
Makita angle grinder
Drill press
60" wide bead blast cabinet
2 stage 60 gal. compressor
Added on to my shop
20ft trailer for hauling metal
chop saw
auto darkening helmet

This forum is breaking my a$$.

This reminds me of that NASCAR commercial.
"How bad have you got it?"

Arbo
05-02-2003, 09:18 AM
OK, Aaron...What's your secret. I wanna buy a TiG, and am having one heck of a time convincing the wife that I "need" it. Somehow, living room furniture is taking the precedence right now.:( :( :( :(

Bob
05-02-2003, 02:39 PM
My wife knows I'm nuts.
Today it was the drill bit sharpening fool. That drill doctor is really good! It really put to shame the free hand sharpening done earlier. I think I got through about half of the 135 bits.
Alignment can be tricky on shorter, small diameter bits ... but those are much less expensive to replace than the big ones. Love it.
Bob

morpheus
05-02-2003, 03:57 PM
i just got a drill doctor. any tips ? I haven't had a chance to watch the video that came with it ...

- jack

Bob
05-02-2003, 05:55 PM
Jack,

Watch the video ... it is short and the pictures great. Start with a mid range bit like 1/4": easier to line up and to see what the split point is about. I tested the first one I ever did and it cut great.
When you start on the "big pile of bits" you might want to wipe or blow out the alignment holes every so often. The grinding dust sorta naturally get in those and adraids the plastic chuck(s).

For those who don't have one yet. It appears ?? the only difference between the 500 and 750 is the extra chuck. You might want to snag a 500 for cheap on ebay and buy the larger chuck later.

Mine came with a case that is about twice as big as needed (a negative to me). A lot of space goes to a place to hold the video ... anyone every take a how-to video to a job site?

Have Fun, it is a great new toy.
Bob

Jerry
05-04-2003, 11:03 PM
Well now, I have sharpened for years by hand on wheel, but for say 100 bucks I might have to look at this unit your all talking about.

atucker
05-05-2003, 02:41 AM
Jerry,

As I said in another thread, buying the 500 was one of the best tool purchases I have made in years. I was so impressed that I went ahead and got the bigger chuck - shoulda bought the 750 ;). I had a 50 or 60 year old collection of my Dad's and my dull bits that have mostly turned into good usable bits. Definitely paid for itself. Does a good job on masonry bits too. Do watch the video and check their website - lots of good info. Just like welding - practice. Simply amazing how much better a sharp bit makes.

Allen T.

woodhors
01-12-2006, 02:46 PM
Just read the post about drill bits and it reminded me. I have a cigar box full of dull (American made) drill bits and need to sharpen them. I have a Sears Craftsman drill grinding attachment (model 9-6677) that I purchased 30 years ago. I know the unit worked pretty good on the larger bits but... Havn't used it in the past 25 years ,forgot how to set it up, and now can't find the instructions. Sears no longer carry it. I did find an old long time Sears hardware manager that remenbers it. Said it was the same as a ????? Model 31 ( I think he said General but not sure ). Does anyone have instructions for using one of these or remember how to set it up and use. Info that they are willing to share?
Thanks
Hi - This story could be mine except I never knew how to use it. Could anyone give me current advise or send me a copy of the instructions? I am new to the forum so I don't know if I am supposed to list my e-mail. Thanks - Woodhors