PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of Rock Island mfg?

SMF
07-17-2005, 02:24 PM
I found this old vise someone dumped on the side of the road with some other junk. I wire wheeled it off and oiled it. Also had to weld little piece back on for it to work.

James D. Clark
07-17-2005, 02:51 PM
Rock Island, Illinois. Part of the Quad Cities, Davenport and Bettendorf, Iowa, and Rock Island and Moline, Illinois. A one time major farm machinery manufactiring center, tools, machines, etc. Still is. Rock Island is a major US army weapons manufacturer.

James D. Clark
07-17-2005, 03:09 PM
Here is some additional information. Birtman Electric Company, Rock Island Division, made vises. Here is a link with mention of Birtman Electric's location and military contract work.Check out for the year 1953. When you check the history for old vises you never know where it will lead. :)

http://64.4.171.250/history/day.cgi?year=2003&month=12&day=4

usmcpop
07-17-2005, 05:17 PM
Wish people would throw antique vises in my front ditch instead of beer cans and concrete blocks (trying to hit the mailbox) . Sigh.

Hotfoot
07-17-2005, 05:58 PM
Wish people would throw antique vises in my front ditch instead of beer cans and concrete blocks (trying to hit the mailbox) . Sigh.

Hey, Semper Fi, they can throw a concrete block at mine, just as long as they pick up the pieces after...Yeah...Lotsa Luck! :rolleyes:

Old Man Stick
07-17-2005, 06:12 PM
Rock Island is a major US army weapons manufacturer.

Was going to say the only Rock Islad I know makes fire arms. I have a nice 1911 thats a rock island.

I just get hit/dead deer in the ditch infront of my place.

usmcpop
07-17-2005, 07:07 PM
Wouldn't it be a hoot if the vise was made by Rock Island Arsenal, when they were sitting around while they were waiting for a bit of action?