PDA

View Full Version : hazmat fee on argon?

wlbrown
07-12-2005, 02:56 PM
HELLO TO ALL,
why is there a hazmat fee on argon? it is nonflammable.
is it because it is a compressed gas?
i just traded my tank for a full one, and there is a $5.00
charge for hazmat.
sounds like a way to get more money.
i can understand a fee for something that is dangerous,
such as acetylene.
wlbrown

Sundown
07-12-2005, 02:58 PM
HELLO TO ALL,
why is there a hazmat fee on argon? it is nonflammable.
is it because it is a compressed gas?
i just traded my tank for a full one, and there is a $5.00
charge for hazmat.
sounds like a way to get more money.
i can understand a fee for something that is dangerous,
such as acetylene.
wlbrown

One of those things, like tax. Concider yourself lucky I have to pay $9.50 here :(

Mike W
07-12-2005, 03:03 PM
I recently bought a cylinder of C-25. There was a $2.95 "Hazmat Compliance" fee. The receipt noted a Dot hazard of 2.2, whatever that means. :rolleyes:

I exchanged my oxy and act cylinders last week. There was only one $2.95 fee for both cylinders. I wonder if I could exchange all 5 at the same time and only pay $2.95? :D

TJButler
07-12-2005, 03:36 PM
I purchased 2 1 lb spools of aluminum MIG wire a couple of weeks ago at AOC here in Houston. The cost of each spool was something like $8 and they charged me a hazmat fee AND a fuel surcharge of $3.50!

Ryan225
07-12-2005, 05:01 PM
Its prabably because if there is a large cloud of it someone can get asthfixeated, however you spell it.

Roospike
07-12-2005, 05:04 PM
I purchased 2 1 lb spools of aluminum MIG wire a couple of weeks ago at AOC here in Houston. The cost of each spool was something like $8 and they charged me a hazmat fee AND a fuel surcharge of $3.50!
Yep , Haz fee on wire . There as bad as the phone Co's with all the extra BS with charges. :mad:

hankj
07-12-2005, 05:14 PM
When I bought the 98/2, I got hit with a "hazmat" fee. I don't normally see that charge when I swap bottles at my regular supplier, and I asked the Airgas guy "What's up with this?". His explanation was that, since they don't stock any 98/2 in their store due to lack of sales, they had to have mine shipped from the fill plant in Sacramento. So, I asked "What about all these other cylinders? They all came from Sacramento, yes?" and he replied that they did, but they eat the hazmat fee on stuff they sell a lot of. Apparently, some government agency is getting a piece of the action on any transported hazardous material. TAX, that's what it is! :mad:

My last receipt for a 1# spool of .030 ER70S-6 does not have any "fee" charges on it?

Hank

dda52
07-12-2005, 05:18 PM
Heck, I bought gloves, a hat and some grinder wheels and got hit with a hazmat fee and fuel surcharge at Airgas. :mad:

Wyoming
07-12-2005, 05:21 PM
I recently bought a cylinder of C-25. There was a $2.95 "Hazmat Compliance" fee. The receipt noted a Dot hazard of 2.2, whatever that means. :rolleyes:

I exchanged my oxy and act cylinders last week. There was only one $2.95 fee for both cylinders. I wonder if I could exchange all 5 at the same time and only pay $2.95? :D

There are three Class 2 designations:
Class 2.1 Flammable gases
Class 2.2 Non-Flammable, Non-Toxic* gases
Class 2.3 Toxic* gases

Fot the purposes of Govspeak...*The words "poison" or "poisonous" are synonymous with the word "toxic". Probably the most benign of the HazMat classifications, but good enough to grab your dollar.

Zrexxer
07-12-2005, 05:36 PM
Heck, I bought gloves, a hat and some grinder wheels and got hit with a hazmat fee and fuel surcharge at Airgas. :mad:Now, I think they're just screwing you there.

dda52
07-12-2005, 05:39 PM
That is why I stay away from Airgas as much as possible. 3-D in San Marcos and mostly Boerne have been much nicer to me. :D

MarkL
07-12-2005, 07:28 PM
I stay away from Airgas also, they have the highest prices in town on everything they sell.

hankj
07-12-2005, 07:42 PM
It continues to amaze me at the variety of business practices used by different locations under the umbrella of Airgas. Does anyone know if all these outlets are company owned, or it there a franchise arrangement?

Think I'll ask 'em next time I go in.

Hank

TJJ
07-12-2005, 08:08 PM
Fees, surcharges, permits, licenses.......all aliases for taxes. Like we're supposed to be too **** stupid to figure that out. :rolleyes:

Tea ? anyone??

tjj

dda52
07-12-2005, 08:16 PM
That is why I switched to 3-D Welding Supply for most things. When I got my MM210 and cyl of C-25 from them...the first thing I noticed was no surcharges whatsoever....not even a hazmat for the cylinder. :) No reason for a tea party there! ;) Don't know if it will happen again, but there is always hope.

Hank, I don't know if they are a franchise or corporate stores. Would be interesting to find out. They do have some things I can't get anywhere else...that is why I still go now and then. I guess I'll just grin and bear it..or is that grimace and bear it? :rolleyes:

Brand X
07-12-2005, 08:32 PM
I wonder if I could exchange all 5 at the same time and only pay $2.95?

Yes you could Mike.

Argon, was just raised 10% by Praxair (because of more use), and Airgas thought they could get a few of their customers. Before anybody tried, Airgas sent info to the store managers that they are raising their prices by 10% It's kind of interesting how they set prices and some of the refinery things that come into play.

MarkL
07-12-2005, 09:58 PM
I know Airgas here in Tacoma sucks! I went in last Fri and they said the Miller price increase started on the 1st, Pacific where i bought my MM175 said it didnt start until Mon(yesterday). Go figure that one out