PDA

View Full Version : Welding Stainless Steel to Carbon Steel Question

leeave96
05-25-2005, 11:41 AM
I want to use a stainless steel top on my welding table. It has a carbon steel frame underneath. I am going to stick weld the top to the frame and my question is when welding stainless steel to carbon steel, what type of welding rod should I use?

Thanks!
Bill

TOMWELDS
05-25-2005, 11:56 AM
I usually use MG-600 for this application. I believe you can also use 309L. The MG-600 is 120,000PSI tensile....nice! An equivalent is ESAB interstate 275 and Harris super missile weld.

W8KI
05-25-2005, 12:35 PM
Another choice, very similar to the super missleweld is the Crown 220... Great stuff.
here is their link;
http://www.crownalloys.com/products.htm

chip hayden
05-25-2005, 01:03 PM
you can use any steel filler you want. 6010, 6011, 11020, er70, etc. it will just rust where you welded it.

boilerman79
05-25-2005, 05:01 PM
309l is the correct rod for welding mild steel to stainless,but for what you are doing i woulduse some 7018s,they are a lot easier to weld out of the flat position and they do very well joining these to different steels.it will just rust a little.

DUMB_HUNTER
05-25-2005, 09:58 PM
now with his table , couldnt he just paint where it might rust? now what is the ost difference for the rods as i have 7018, 6011 etc, but nothing for stainless

partagas
05-26-2005, 01:20 AM
309l is a stainless rod. That is why it would be a better choice. Also Blue Max.

TOMWELDS
05-26-2005, 01:43 PM
Another note: with S/S rod and rods for S/S to mild steel (MG-600, etc), Paint wont stick. Itll chip off.

storts
05-26-2005, 07:25 PM
Another note: with S/S rod and rods for S/S to mild steel (MG-600, etc), Paint wont stick. Itll chip off.
You can weld stainess to steel, and it has to be stainless rod, Heli-arc, mig, or stick,,,,Simple,Jack

Goldcan
05-29-2005, 12:11 AM
No one has asked why he wants a SS top. For looks? To do more carbon welding on, or straight SS welding? Why are you wanting to put an SS top on carbon legs leeave96

If you're going to be doing anyting other than aluminum or stainless welding on the table you shouldn't bother messing with it, because you're going to cause it to rust anyway. I wouldn't bother with it either way unless you're working outside in the rain, throw a piece of cardboard on the table hook the ground to the project and go with it. I work only in SS TIG and my work table is all carbon/mild steel. If I"m working on something crucial a piece of cardboard or a piece of galvanized sheet is all you need, keeps you from arcing thru your work as well.

Rocky D
05-29-2005, 01:40 PM
I want to use a stainless steel top on my welding table. It has a carbon steel frame underneath. I am going to stick weld the top to the frame and my question is when welding stainless steel to carbon steel, what type of welding rod should I use?

Thanks!
Bill
Bill, for your application any steel rod will do...it doesn't have to be a stainless rod...all you're doing is attaching the underside of the plate to the frame. Now if you're doing something that will require non rusting and color match, 308L, 309, 316L is fine. Welding stainless with steel wire won't diminish the strength hardly at all. Your question is a good one...always remember that it is the APPLICATION that will govern how you do it.
One of the drawbacks of using a stainless is that a magnet won't stick to it...you won't want to tacking jigs to it either...a couple of handy things to do with a steel top.
Bottom line...you can weld stainless with steel wire and vice versa.

melvin babbs
04-08-2006, 05:37 PM
iam doing a project at work which is fabbing saddles to support 30 inch stainless steel duct. the lower saddleis galvanized and the saddle band is stainless steel. The procedure i used is to grind the galv back one half inch and bevel 15 degrees then stitch weld the saddle band on, then spray cold galv on the welded area. The eng. said that would cause plate poison. So he whats to put a rubber piece between the two. Has anyone ever heard of this. We have fabbed 40 saddles already and would have to make changes. THANKS:

Rocky D
04-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Never heard of "plate poison"...is he referring to carbide precipitation, perhaps? Does he want the rubber between the steel and the stainless, or the saddle and the duct? While welding the stainless will cause rusting, when welded with steel, (duh), :rolleyes: I don't see any structural problem, and the cold galv will cover up any rust and last for years.

melvin babbs
04-16-2006, 03:47 PM
Never heard of "plate poison"...is he referring to carbide precipitation, perhaps? Does he want the rubber between the steel and the stainless, or the saddle and the duct? While welding the stainless will cause rusting, when welded with steel, (duh), :rolleyes: I don't see any structural problem, and the cold galv will cover up any rust and last for years.
Thanks for the reply. The eng. said they would not accept the stainless to galv, with spray cold galv. The rubber is between the saddle and duct. I thank you for your answer. And we did use 309L welding wire:confused:

jamisonj24
04-16-2006, 05:36 PM
I don't completely understand what what pieces you are welding together on these saddles. Are you welding stainless to a galvanized steel? If this is the case it is a bad idea. The weld will be cracked even if not a visible crack it will show cracks if x-rayed. No matter what filler material is used. I was on a big job welding ss to galv beams. All welds were x-rayed 60% of the welds failed due to cracks and had to be gouged out and redone, some welds took multiple attempts till they were defect free. Our procedure was very slow also, grind off galv coating to bare steel, the heat to 150 deg f, to burn out imbedded zinc, when cooled we were required to use pickling gel to clean the steel further to try to eliminate all impurities caused by the galv, then we could weld the seam with a 309l filler. Was a nightmare job, especially when we had to rework over half the joints, some joints a few times. After that job I try to stay away from anything to do with welding ss to galv.