PDA

View Full Version : #6 wire

moody
05-12-2005, 04:07 PM
I want to pick up the 6 wire for the 100' run to my garage but HD and lowes have it at $2 a foot
thats $200 there :eek: :eek: :eek:

anyone know where I can get some 6-3 romex, (NMSC) under that $2 per foot price?

thanks

Bob Sigmon
05-12-2005, 04:37 PM
Check out West Way Electric (http://www.westwayelectricsupplyonline.com/shop/Wire.html), almost to the bottom of the page. Don't know what shipping would be but $124.90 for 125ft of 6/3 romex is a good price.

main528
05-12-2005, 06:58 PM
I want to pick up the 6 wire for the 100' run to my garage but HD and lowes have it at $2 a foot

anyone know where I can get some 6-3 romex, (NMSC) under that $2 per foot price?

thanks

Hey Moody,
You still screwing around with that wiring? I can get #6 4 conductor SOOW cable for less than $2/ft.!
You could buy 300' of thhn, two telephone poles to string it from for the price of that romex.
Go to your closest electrical contract supply and get what you need. Msc industrial supply co. has 6ga. thhn listed for $200.00 for a 500' spool. Your local supply may sell it for 150.00, so for the same price of a cob job you could buy 300' of the right stuff, conduit,etc., and do it right the first time. Your dad won't get hurt when he puts up the fence he's always wanted 20 years from now either. :D :D :D

Old Man Stick
05-12-2005, 07:19 PM

thanks

What are you useing that for? undergound or inside? if its underground I thought it was NMUSE cable ... IS there a E on there ? been too long! LOL or is it just US cable? No matter ... Y are you usering service entrance cable? Y not just UF undergound feed if its underground. If its inside Still same question Y are you looking at service cable and not normal romex NM ?? :confused: :confused: :confused: OR did something change in the last few years on wire... the SC ??? I would look for some # 6 stove cable for inside work. If its outside and underground you can get triplex thats for underground and that would be a world cheaper. Maybe im just tired as its about half a hour past my bed time!

Sorry I just dont rember or understand how your useing that wire.

moody
05-12-2005, 07:55 PM
it will be going through the the joists of my basement from one side of the house to the other

(from the sub panel to the welder outlet)

TOMWELDS
05-13-2005, 01:25 AM
6/3 is about $125. at homedepot. Only thing cheaper would be 4/3 aluminum SER cable. More common is 2/3 SER which is good for 100amp (residential). BTW, since you work part time as an electrician, cant your boss cut you a deal from his supplier? Or let you work it off? :confused:

moody
05-13-2005, 06:29 AM
6/3 is about $125. at homedepot...

but how long is it?

I was gunna get a roll rewound from their huge selection but if they sell packaged rolls that are for less than ill buy it

I rather use copper wire instead of alu. as copper seems to take more abuse

im off to work now. I'll see what i can get from there.

W8KI
05-13-2005, 06:53 AM
Our local Lowes on Saturday Mornings restocks their wire spools and the wrap up their left-overs as remnents (sp?)... I picked up 120' of excellent condition #6-3 w/G***, UV resistant direct burial for 1/2 price, or about $1.00 per foot. They do not tell you its half price until ya talk to one of their "associates"... just ask!. Considering what others wanted it was a heck of a deal. Besides, the worse they can say is "no deal". Good Luck.
edit: ***solid copper

moody
05-13-2005, 02:29 PM
im getting an even better deal

125 feet of 6-3 romex for $75 at Arch electrical supply

wagner electric uses them to order all the time and they seem to have good quality items

scapegoat
05-13-2005, 08:22 PM
I just recently bought 50feet for $60 at my local Menards. I don't think there are Menards stores nation wide. But i checked home depot and it was quite a bit more.

tailshaft56
05-14-2005, 03:15 AM
You are wise to go with the copper. Al takes Al rated switches and outlets.

Dennis

moody
05-14-2005, 11:52 AM
OOPS

i just cut the price down again

i forgot...

i dont need 6-3

i only need 6-2 as the b&w are the hots and the ground is used

would not need that extra red wire

Old Man Stick
05-14-2005, 02:20 PM
OOPS

i just cut the price down again

i forgot...

i dont need 6-3

i only need 6-2 as the b&w are the hots and the ground is used

would not need that extra red wire

You installing JUST a plug for your weldor and nothing more? I thought you were installing a pannel in your out building? If your just running all that wire for a plug then no. You can use 6/2 but, if your putting in a pannel out there then you need 6/3 W ground.

moody
05-14-2005, 11:11 PM
what im doing is taking breakers out of the main panel and putting them into the sub panel then putting a 2 poll 50 for the welder. ill use 6-2 romes to go from that 2 poll 50 to the 220v outlet in my garage

so the breaker for my welder will be in the original panel and the sub panel is there to open spots in the original

MAC702
05-14-2005, 11:21 PM
You are wise to go with the copper. Al takes Al rated switches and outlets.

Dennis
These days, most all receptacles and panels designed to grip #8 and bigger are already rated for Al. I can't remember the last time I saw one that wasn't anyway. But always make sure. What kind of abuse are you expecting? I see no reason why not to use Al if available and cheaper and in a permanent installation. A lot lighter, just have to make sure your terminations are tight and use a little oxide inhibitor.

MAC702
05-14-2005, 11:26 PM
what im doing is taking breakers out of the main panel and putting them into the sub panel then putting a 2 poll 50 for the welder. ill use 6-2 romes to go from that 2 poll 50 to the 220v outlet in my garage

so the breaker for my welder will be in the original panel and the sub panel is there to open spots in the original
Have you considered the availability of the "pancake" or "thin-twin" breakers to make space in your panel? Many times, they are well worth the few extra dollars for the time saved, if available for your panel. You can even get one with two 15s or two 20s (or one of each) and a two-pole 20, 30, 40, 50, or 60 in the middle. Those are my favorites. Saved me a lot of hassles and my customers lots of money.