PDA

View Full Version : Noise level of your water cooler?

LarryL
03-21-2005, 12:14 PM
I've been using a Lincoln Magnum 10 water cooler for the past few years when Tig welding. This cooler does a good job of cooling my HW-20 torch but I consider it too noisy. I can't measure the sound level I'm exposed to when welding but estimate that it's about 80+ decibels 5 feet away from cooler. Most of the noise is being produced, obviously, by the cooler's fan.

Not having used any other brands of water coolers, I wonder whether any of you who weld with one consider your cooler noisy also. Brand X, is your Binzel cooler much quieter than other brands that you've used? :confused: :confused:

LarryL

Bob Sigmon
03-21-2005, 12:36 PM
The Miller Coolmate 3 is rather loud but I can still hear my cell phone ring while I'm welding. It is best to just use some hearing protection. I use the soft foam plugs that I use for shooting trap, comfortable and out of the way. It's always a hassle but I have friends that are in their 40's and already need hearing aids due to not using hearing protection at their high noise jobs.

Brand X
03-21-2005, 12:59 PM
The Miller Coolmate 3 is rather loud but I can still hear my cell phone ring while I'm welding. It is best to just use some hearing protection. I use the soft foam plugs that I use for shooting trap, comfortable and out of the way. It's always a hassle but I have friends that are in their 40's and already need hearing aids due to not using hearing protection at their high noise jobs.

Larry,
I owned three coolers, A Benard 2500, Miller Rad. one, Binzel. The Binzel is a lot quieter then the other two. The brass gear Miller pump being the loudest. I guess the Binzel is made by Miller just in case you what to compare them to the coolmate 3.

I do not find it loud at all, but I also have a air-cooled torch for real quiet operation.

There is a large defence type contactor out here, that replaced all their Benards with the Binzels because of the noise factor. It was where I first heard of Binzel coolers.

You might want to put yours on e-bay and check with me on a Binzel. I think mine was about $380/ $390 for mine from air-gas.I bought 3 gals of Binzel coolant for around 14.00 a gal but he also threw in a CK water cooled torch adapter into the mix. To help balance out the deal. :cool:

LarryL
03-21-2005, 01:44 PM
Larry,
I owned three coolers, A Benard 2500, Miller Rad. one, Binzel. The Binzel is a lot quieter then the other two. The brass gear Miller pump being the loudest. I guess the Binzel is made by Miller just in case you what to compare them to the coolmate 3.
Scott, if Miller makes the Binzel and it resembles their Coolmate, why did they somehow make the Binzel quieter than their own brand of cooler? :confused:

LarryL

Mike W
03-21-2005, 01:57 PM
The one that comes with the Syncrowave 250 package is so quiet that you need to look at the flow indicator to be sure it is running. :D

Bob Sigmon
03-21-2005, 02:02 PM
Larry,

The Miller that BrandX spoke of was a Miller Rad One. not the Coolmate.

As I said mine is "loud", at least it is louder that if it is not turned on. It certainly is not so loud that I would change back to my air cooled torches. When it is on I can hear what is going on around me, like when the 200 turns it's cooling fan on or my cell phone ringing, etc.

I also tend to use air tools to clean the area to be welded and they are very loud and whiney, hence the hearing protection. It helps across the board on random noise and I'll be able to hear when I'm older.

Brand X
03-21-2005, 02:03 PM
Scott, if Miller makes the Binzel and it resembles their Coolmate, why did they somehow make the Binzel quieter than their own brand of cooler? :confused:

LarryL

Larry,
I never heard how loud a Miller Coolmate 3 is. Only my Miller rad 1 and a few other old ones.

TJButler
03-21-2005, 03:21 PM
I have a Lincoln Cool Arc 40 I purchased about a year ago and it is loud also. It's louder than the TIG welder...Precision TIG 375. It's nice when the welder automatically shuts it, and itself, off about 10 minutes after welding.

TJB

tooldude56
03-21-2005, 03:39 PM
I had the Lincoln Magnum cooler on my Square wave tig 255 and it was very noisy,but now I have a Miller 350LX with the Miller V3 cooler and it is even noisier yet...I have often considered an air cooled torch,just to get rid of the noise..

tooldude56

Frankw
03-21-2005, 03:43 PM
What!!!!! I say What!!!!! :D

LarryL
03-21-2005, 04:21 PM
I've used both foam plugs and full-cup hearing protectors when using my tablesaw, planer and other noisy tools. That's because years of working as an engineer in a factory may have caused me to lose some of my high frequency hearing, and, I want to keep what hearing I have left. I've not used ear plugs while welding, however, because it's just another thing to put on underneath my helmet. This morning, however, I put on some foam earplugs while welding and it dampened the sound considerably.

Another cooling option I've been thinking of reverting to is going back to my old 16 gallon cooling tank I used to use. It is just a plain steel tank on legs with an epoxy paint coating on its interior. I put a sump pump in it and fed the tank's water to my torch. It worked okay but I felt that the sump pump had too low a flow (probably due to its low pressure output) when I welded at higher amperages, especially with AC welding. This method of cooling was extremely quiet though, and, I usually didn't weld long enough to heat up 14 - 15 gallons of water. I'll have to look around for a vane pump that I can mount underneath my 16 gallon tank. This way I'll be able to have a quiet cooler to use when I'm welding at my table and a noisy Lincoln Magnum for use as a portable cooler. :)

LarryL

Bob Sigmon
03-21-2005, 04:44 PM
Larry,

You might try using coolant instead of water and you might have better results using your old system. The Miller coolant , while relatively expensive, has been developed to be non-conductive and has additives to keep the green algae away, etc. You could probably use it diluted and it would be better than nothing.

Hey, there's more than one way to skin a cat. :D

PS - No cats were actually skinned in the quest for a quiter torch cooler. :p

LarryL
03-21-2005, 05:48 PM
Larry,

You might try using coolant instead of water and you might have better results using your old system. The Miller coolant, while relatively expensive, has been developed to be non-conductive and has additives to keep the green algae away, etc. You could probably use it diluted and it would be better than nothing.

Hey, there's more than one way to skin a cat. :D

PS - No cats were actually skinned in the quest for a quiter torch cooler. :p
Bob, the cost of 15 gallons of Miller coolant would more than pay for my cost of a used vane pump and motor. If I go back to using my old cooling tank, I'll fill it with distilled water, which is also nonconductive. As a former chemical engineer I can't understand why the inexpensive ingredients in a gallon of coolant would make it cost so much. :(

LarryL