PDA

View Full Version : Fluxcore vs. Gasless ???

jfmasson
03-04-2005, 11:49 AM
Can someone tell me clearly the difference between Fluxcore wire for a MIG welder and Gasless wire for a MIG welder.

To my knowledge, the term "Gasless" is clear, NO NEED FOR SHIELDING GAS however I have been told that it is good to weld with gas when using fluxcore wire.

Tell me what is what. What is myth and what is true

Thank You

JFMASSON

Mike W
03-04-2005, 12:02 PM
Here is a good article:
http://www2.thefabricator.com/Articles/Welding_Article.cfm?ID=653

Oddest_raindrop
03-06-2005, 05:54 PM
gasless and fulx core are the same thing. The flux in the wire provides the sheilding for the weld.

gwmotorsports
03-06-2005, 06:44 PM
There are two main types of fluxed core: self-sheilding and dual sheild.

Self sheilding doesnt require any gas sheilding to be used.
Dual sheild is usually used with c-25 or c02 welding gas, and is often used to weld heavy steel at high voltages.

For a 110v mig machine you would want to use one of the self-sheilding alloys.

James D. Clark
03-06-2005, 08:07 PM
Huh? :confused: Gasless is flux core. The flux in the wire makes the cover gas. Solid wire has to have gas to provide a covering atmosphere around the molten metal to prevent reactions with atmospheric oxygen, nitrogen, etc. that causes poor welds and metal. If you forget to turn on the gas or the gas is blown away from the molten weld bead before it solidifies you will have an ugly looking weld. Flux core makes it's own gas-lots of it. It works better in windy conditions than solid wire with tank supplied gas.

M.L. Whit
03-06-2005, 08:08 PM
gasless and fulx core are the same thing. The flux in the wire provides the sheilding for the weld.

Not always, there is dual shield which uses both, and makes a very good weld.

cmac
03-07-2005, 07:47 PM
[QUOTE=jfmasson]Can someone tell me clearly the difference between Fluxcore wire for a MIG welder and Gasless wire for a MIG welder.

do you mean flux wire vs. wire thar requires a sheilding gas? That makes more sense to me.....

If so, flux wire typically produces more splatter when welding. Welding with gas is typcially cleaner, at least that is my opinion

hankj
03-07-2005, 09:53 PM
E-"XX"-T-1,2 and 5 wires require sheilding gas. 3, 4 and 6 - 11 do not. EXXT-G and GS MAY need gas - it depends on the manufacturer, and it will say what is needed on the wire spool tag..

Hank