PDA

View Full Version : any projects for beginers

littleman
02-01-2005, 04:45 PM
I was wondering if ayone knew of any good beginer projects for someone new to welding with a 115 volt welder, because im tired of just running beads on pieces of scrap metal.

MusPuppis
02-01-2005, 05:05 PM
Lincolns website has links to some projects that may fit that bill.

Simple welding cart and a simple table. I'd try to find the links but I can never navigate their website.. Hateful convoluted thing that it is.

moody
02-01-2005, 05:33 PM
yea a welding cart is a great 1st project

thats on my list of items to weld

still getting steel and will start when it warms up

Winger Ed.
02-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Check around and see what friends and family have that needs fixing. You'll get some great experiance on varied things and types of material. And,,, you won't have ot buy the stock.

I did a outdoor patio fireplace a year or so ago. I don't have a pic. but basically-

It looks like a (4 Sided) pyramind with the top cut off.

The base 24 x 24 and is up on legs about a foot long. the body of it is 24" tall, with the top plate being 12 x 12. On the top plate is a 4" square chimney framed with angle and filled with plate about 12" tall.

One whole side is the door, and there are 2 3/4 angle stock runners in it to hold 3/4" expanded metal grates for grilling on.

Its framed with 3/4 angle, and the flat pieces are 1/8" sheet.

It a simple project, sturdy and will last a generation. It serves as a both a outdoor fireplace with the door open, and a Bar-be-que grill/smoker with it shut.

JakeD
02-01-2005, 05:47 PM
Run to Harbor freight and grab a scrolling setup and build some ornamental stuff...

Dman033189
02-01-2005, 06:08 PM
I would suggest a welding table if you dont have one first. It doesnt have to be big just get some 1/4" plate and weld some tubing under it to give it support. Then I would suggest a welding cart,by the way what kind of welder do you have?

olddudbob
02-01-2005, 06:13 PM
This is the link to the Lincoln article about how to build a welding table. For there you can find other projects. Hope this helps.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/articles/content/howto_weldingtable.asp

DaveD
02-01-2005, 06:59 PM
Yard art. You can weld junk together, (maybe paint it) and put it in the back yard. You can make it big, small, whatever.

I scaled up a 6"x6" butterfly outside ornament to a 3'x3' monster with glass paperweights for the body and trampoline springs to let the wings move. Lots of bending and welding on 1/4" rod.

My daughter and I went to an art show and saw a metal stilleto shoe for sale for $1000. I mentioned even I could make one of those. Borrowed one of her stilleto shoes for the model. I'm not the artistic type but I'm pretty good at copying things I see.

I have seen some stuff on EBAY I might make too. Simple welding, a little grinding, some 1/4" rod is about all it will take.

I'm in the process of making a knockoff of a 6' tall, $700 piece of yard art my wife saw in a catalog.

On the more practical side you could consider:
Yard gate,
wrought iron enclosure for trash cans,
plant stands,
bird feeder stand.

I'm also making some brackets to hang extra tires/rims up over the garage door .

Got a big dog? make dish holders that get the dishes up off the ground. My daughter had me make a couple of them for her dogs. Made them so the legs (on the stand, not the dogs :p ) unscrewed too.

littleman
02-01-2005, 08:25 PM
I would suggest a welding table if you dont have one first. It doesnt have to be big just get some 1/4" plate and weld some tubing under it to give it support. Then I would suggest a welding cart,by the way what kind of welder do you have?

I have a hobart 115 volt handler 140 and im running self shielded flux cored wire in it now. But im looking for a tank and maybee a 75% argon 25% CO2 mix.

Armadillo
02-01-2005, 09:40 PM
Years ago, I checked with friends and family for anything that was metal that needed repair. I did not go for anything that would cause a catastrophe like fixing a broken axle or something like that.....But you would be surprised at the responses I got about broken hinges, some yard art, even a candle holder or two. The great thing about this concept is it is already broken so the recipient can handle if your weld didn't hold or you burnt a little too much metal. Great learning as you will get different metals as well as different thickneses to practice with. And along the way you will be appreciated. Give it a try. I still get quite a few requests to mend things from time to time. My .02 cents

Armadillo